Thread: AIRE Panga

Question AIRE Panga

IMG00320-20120616-1728.jpgIMG00316-20120616-1719.jpg

I'm starting to plan out my inflatable-square-sterned-freighter-canoe-hybrid for fly-out duty hunting and fishing around AK . . . . .

Some of you may remember this watercraft as an early prototype called the "Power Traveler". But, AIRE has now passed that title on to an inflatable double-ender canoe, with a small mounting plate for an equally small powerplant. So, to avoid confusion, I call these inflatables, "Pangas". So do the folks down at AIRE/Idaho, and the guys at AR&K/Anchorage (they even have one last Panga, still rolled up in the back). There are three Pangas located in Eagle River, that I know of. My Panga has a welded aluminum transom. Some of the other Pangas have a completely open stern. Their owners use a long rowing frame with a motor mount, similar to those on catarafts. AIRE has un-officially suggested a 25hp limit, which will push a Panga to over 20kts.

Here are the spec's of my Panga: Length 17'4", Beam 56" (rear 12' of raft), Tube Diameter 16" (tapering in the front 5' of raft to 13" at the bow), inflated self-bailing floor with a V-keel forming toward the bow, channels water aft and out around the open sides of the transom, Bow Height 28", Outer Shell is made from the same HD 37/43oz PVC, with Poly-Urethane inner bladders, as AIRE's other large rafts/catarafts, Weight 115 lbs.

Most Panga owners are using outboard jets, which require some tweaking around the transom for best performance. But, I'm thinking about trying a surface-drive motor. (Note - my transom is 19.25" tall, but that could be changed, if the results with an SD motor are worth it?)

I'm open to opinions and suggestions. Come on guys, help me pimp my Panga?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

the best thing withyour unit is it can be packed up ango into a plane but it is not my Idea of a frighter, I am an old grumman person [ an old ]
    sorry it looks good for a pack up canoe, it will do a lot for you enjoy
    SID

A very interesting concept indeed!

I've spent thousands of hours in a hard panga off Baja.

Does it have a drop stitch high pressure floor? 10 PSI That is best way to make it perform. My Saturn 16 foot Drop Stitch High, pressure floor Kaboat square stern does over 20 MPH with a 9.8 HP OB with 2 people. The floor is extremely rigid with no flex.

Love the Aire rafts had a Super Puma for years. Your boat has a wider stern may do well with a surface drive. But if hull flexes it will hurt performance.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Does it have a drop stitch high pressure floor? 10 PSI That is best way to make it perform. My Saturn 16 foot Drop Stitch High, pressure floor Kaboat square stern does over 20 MPH with a 9.8 HP OB with 2 people. The floor is extremely rigid with no flex.

Love the Aire rafts had a Super Puma for years. Your boat has a wider stern may do well with a surface drive. But if hull flexes it will hurt performance.
    The floor is not drop-stitched. It's a urethane bladder inside a PVC shell like the rest of their stuff. Grabner makes some similar boats, but they use I-beam construction for their floors. Great boats for certain types of rivers.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Congrats on the boat dave. I would have a metal fabricator build a transom extension that rests over the top of the rear tubes, and also bolts onto the existing transom. You want to get that motor rear-ward, away from the tubes.. A bit of urethane over the areas where the transom extension sits atop of the tubes would be in order. Likewise, a couple d-rinds glued to the sides of the tubes, would also help lash the extension down tightly....you don't want it bouncing.

This will increase your interior room as you want to run a surface drive with the handle as far forward(extended) as possible (think leverage). The boat has potential, but you'll need to get that motor mounting rear-ward. Every other mod is fluff and has less priority.

looks good! And an awful lot like the Grabner "outside" I had....
    Proud to be an American!

kk - Like Mike said, the floor is an air bladder inside a PVC shell. There's an over-pressure valve that vents around 3psi. It's high-volume, if not high pressure. On my only test-run, with a too-small borrowed outboard motor, I had over 800# in the boat, and it wasn't drafting more than a few inches. Other Panga owners report that mounting a long rowing frame eliminates hull flexing.

Mainer - It's hard to tell from the photos, but, the tubes only extend 24" behind the transom, and half of that is tapering to cone-shaped points. Most SD motors have horizontal drive shafts longer than that, so, that shouldn't be a problem? By "changed", I meant maybe cut a notch in the aluminum, to lower the vertical mounting height to 15". Although some SD's are adaptable to run on 20" transoms, so, maybe that won't be necessary, either? One of my main concerns is motor weight. Even if the transom can carry a 200# motor (a popular 23hp SD weighs 192#), I don't want to lug around that much weight. Wonder if an 18hp SD would be big enough?

kurl - My Panga sure looks similar to your Grabner! Like the saying goes, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

Thanx everyone, keep the comments/ideas coming!
    Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.