Thread: Tying with dog hair

Default Tying with dog hair

I have a dog team and my main leader has started blowing coat (in January, whut?) so today I thought I'd try dubbing with undercoat. I tied up a few Catskill-style dry flies and it worked pretty well, although the fibers are long. Once I cut them up it worked very well. I haven't tried putting them in water yet, though, so for all I know they'll sink like a stone (the hackle should keep them well afloat).

I tried taking some pictures and they turned out badly. Among the things I'd be grateful to learn is how to take better pictures of flies I've tied.

Anyway, it looks like I have enough cream-colored dubbing to last about 45 lifetimes.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I have read up on taking decent photos of flies and everyone says you want a light box. To make your own, cut big holes out the top and sides of a shoe box and cover them with tissue paper, use a paper as a background, put a bright lamp over the box, find your macro setting on your camera and use the timer (not your hand).

I have heard of guys using dog hair, but it doesn't float and is usually too long to dub well for nymphs. That said, a lot of flies catch fish - no matter what they are tied with.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Excellent - thanks.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

The Black Dog fly (http://www.salmonflies.net/BlackDog.html) I once read somewhere, came with a similar story... sort of, tied on a stroke of inspiration, also during winter. Be interested to see the flies. Sometimes fish like something different.

Scott rn's tip sounds good for pics. Recent thread by CTobias (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...y-Step-by-Step) had some fine pics.

I made a lightbox once from a gallon milk jug. Cut one side out and then you'r able to put light directly onto it and it comes out nice, soft and even around the fly. But that was back when I tied for trout and bass flies were big. It'd take a 5 gallon bucket to make a light box for the flies I tie these days.

As for dog hair, I did it once with my lab's longer guard hairs. Worked ok and they're all over the house, but was more work than it was worth and eas easier to just buy and use moose, calf tail, yak, whatever and cut it to length I needed. But I know alot of guys who've used dog hair. I've even heard of guys using wives and girlfriend's hair...that gets kinda weird though.

HERE is a Black Dog Nymph for more options.

My experience with dog hair is mixed. It's way too soft for my taste to be used for wing, but depending on the breed can make a dandy "spikey" or soft dubbing for bodies.

Here is a fly that I started tying and it is call the 2 headed yellar dog. It is has a head made up of dog under fur from 2 of my friend Matt's 2 dogs.
    Casey, who is in doggy heaven and his current yellow lab mix named Spinner. The head is made just like using wool. Tight lines.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010029.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	69688
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    Here is a fly that I started tying and it is call the 2 headed yellar dog. It is has a head made up of dog under fur from 2 of my friend Matt's 2 dogs.
    Casey, who is in doggy heaven and his current yellow lab mix named Spinner. The head is made just like using wool. Tight lines.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010029.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	69688
    Very nice tie, riverman! Love it!

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks Wyo2AK, The fly is a 4 1/2" long articulated fly tied on long shank circle hooks- lead hook cut off for fishing in Alaska. I also use fish skulls instead of lead eyes for deeper applications. One of these days I am going to have to get in on the fly tying swap. Tight lines.
    Last edited by akriverman; 04-08-2013 at 15:20. Reason: add ons
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.