Thread: Barnes TSX 180 for 3006.... What's the best powder you've used? Results?

Default Barnes TSX 180 for 3006.... What's the best powder you've used? Results?

What's your favorite powder for this ? I was thinking about using h4350 or RL-22, can anyone lead me in the right directiion? Using brand new Winchester casings and Winchester primers.... How does everyone like this bullet? Is it okay for 3006? Read mixed results on it

Release Lake Trout

Every rifle is an individual but in the '06 I like H4350. I haven't tried RL17 in the '06 yet, but some acquaintances are using it with good results.

I like the TSX bullet- just not out of an '06. I really believe that you need high muzzle velocity to get the best out of mono metal bullets and the 180/'06 just doesn't get there IMHO. There are scads of perfectly fantastic .30 bullets available that will perform perfectly at '06 speeds for a fraction of the cash outlay. YMMV of course, but I wouldn't look at the TSX until MV went north of 3000 fps or I hunted in a condor zone.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default Barnes TSX 180 for 3006.... What's the best powder you've used? Results?

Not in the book, but surprisingly enough to me, 60.0 of RL-22 has been great for mine. It's the only load my Kimber likes. It is accurate, and gives me 2730 fps. Plenty for the Ttsx to do its job.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah I'm also looking at 165 Hornady interlocks.... Have alot of varget and in the book its looks good to me but would prefer a 180 grain or heavier bullet...just finished loading 550 rounds of 200 grain Speer hot cors with 56.5 grains of 4831.... It's hot and shoots rely well, good pressure and groups up at about 3/4" at 100 yards.... I like it but want variety.....

I already have the bullets.....everything I need....Cept for casings.... I only have about 450 left, bought 100 today at cabelas, last two bags $25 each! They were out of pretty much everything.... Also bought a box of 50, 180 grain tipped tsx at white elephant, my dad wants to load em in .300 win mag. $35. Also bought a pound each of H retumbo, h4350, and H1000. They were out of a lot there too. No .30 cal casings of any kind to be found....

Release Lake Trout

My '06 really likes IMR 4831 @ 57.5grns with 180 Partitions or Hot Cors. I have no experience with TTSX/TSX pills though, so I am no help there. I have found with other rifles/loads that liked IMR 4831, also liked RL22. My .338WM prefers the RL22 by just a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    I already have the bullets.....everything I need....Cept for casings.... I only have about 450 left, bought 100 today at cabelas, last two bags $25 each! They were out of pretty much everything.... Also bought a box of 50, 180 grain tipped tsx at white elephant, my dad wants to load em in .300 win mag. $35. Also bought a pound each of H retumbo, h4350, and H1000. They were out of a lot there too. No .30 cal casings of any kind to be found....
    Cabelas and the White Elephant? You must be out Milltown at your dad's place.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Here are a few of my 06 loads, always start low and work up, these are safe in MY RIFLE.

Work up for my 180 grain AB and R17 load, I have taken 2 Rams and a Grizzly with one Ram taken at over 400 yards.

150 Grain Hornaday Load.

ReLoader 19 and Barnes TSX 168 grain work up.

150 Grain Accubond load with H4350

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Cabelas and the White Elephant? You must be out Milltown at your dad's place.
    Yep till April 1st or so.... Stop on by sometime. We usually here

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    My '06 really likes IMR 4831 @ 57.5grns with 180 Partitions or Hot Cors. I have no experience with TTSX/TSX pills though, so I am no help there. I have found with other rifles/loads that liked IMR 4831, also liked RL22. My .338WM prefers the RL22 by just a tad.
    Main problem for me is I don't have MY rifle here, its in alaska...It's a custom built 98 Mauser, fluted 24" barrel..... It likes hot Cor 180s, 180 core lokt,180 siroccos....the only 3006 bolt rifle I have here is an 03 Springfield.... I've been testing loads With it with good results as it seems to shoot the same loads with really similar results as the Mauser...

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Main problem for me is I don't have MY rifle here, its in alaska...It's a custom built 98 Mauser, fluted 24" barrel..... It likes hot Cor 180s, 180 core lokt,180 siroccos....the only 3006 bolt rifle I have here is an 03 Springfield.... I've been testing loads With it with good results as it seems to shoot the same loads with really similar results as the Mauser...
    To each his own,,, but I never reload unless I have the rifle I'm loading for at my reloading bench. I use the rifle to measure and test cartridge function through out the entire reloading process. With my final step being to cycle each and every round through the action to ensure proper function.

Be safe.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I am a huge fan of the Varget and H4350 with 168grain TSX in the 06. I have many one shot kills on animals and would differ with the opinion that the bullet is not suited for the 06. I don't have my load book in front to state how much powder but these loads are sweet for my Tikka and the wifes Marlin, both have dropped animals without issue. The great theing about TSX bullets is that you can go down one or two size bullets and get the same performance with added velocity of a light bullet.
    I agree with Stid, do not load a round for a rifle that is not in front of you. If you want to squeeze the best out of that round you need to seat the bullet to that exact rifle. I don't have as much luck loading to factory lengths and I have had rounds that won't chamber properly.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I approach and practice relaoding the same as Stid, always with the rifle in hand to check for fit and function, then at the range I am first to fire and check for pressure signs etc. in any case where I reload for someone else or myself. I take relaoding very seriously as errant results can have devistating consequences.

As tempting as it may be to load some rounds for your other rifle to pass time, you may just end up creating several setbacks once you get the rifle in hand only to find that the new rounds will not feed or chamber as they should due to incorrect case resizing or COAL. I have been there-done that even with the "rifle in hand", then had to disassemble the rounds and start anew. It is a bit of a bummer and a lesson or two after making the determination as to where the mistake was made during the process. Any mistake/s I have made reloading have always been noticed at the reloading bench and never as far as getting to the range, it is humbling and I am thankful to keep it that way.

I approach and practice relaoding the same as Stid, always with the rifle in hand to check for fit and function, then at the range I am first to fire and check for pressure signs etc. in any case where I reload for someone else or myself. I take relaoding very seriously as errant results can have devistating consequences.

As tempting as it may be to load some rounds for your other rifle to pass time, you may just end up creating several setbacks once you get the rifle in hand only to find that the new rounds will not feed or chamber as they should due to incorrect case resizing or COAL. I have been there-done that even with the "rifle in hand", then had to disassemble the rounds and start anew. It is a bit of a bummer and a lesson or two after making the determination as to where the mistake was made during the process. Any mistake/s I have made reloading have always been noticed at the reloading bench and never as far as getting to the range, it is humbling and I am thankful to keep it that way.

Ok, the double post is NOT for emphasis , just a stupid computer issue

Thanks everyone for your advice and my dad and I have addressed
    the issue with COAL and not having the rifle here we decided to stick with what we know and use rounds and loads that have proven true for my Mauser.... Instead of the tsx I'm going with 165 Hornady interlocks with 55 grains of w760 ball powder..... Shot a couple earlier and the pressure proved good and I've used this load before in the Mauser with great results....... Thanks again everyone for the safety concerns!!!

Release Lake Trout