Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need spotting scope advice

Default I need spotting scope advice

I can get a pretty good deal through work on Bushnell stuff and would like to upgrade my spotting scope. Of course I would love a Ziess etc... but like I said my hookup is through Bushnell. If it were your $$$$ which would you choose

A. Legend ultra HD in 12-36x 50mm in an angled or straight. @ 2.2 lbs
    B. Legend ultra HD in 15-45 60mm (avail in straight only) @ 2.5lbs
    C. Legend ultra HD in 20-60x 80mm in 45 degree @ 5lbs

I will be using the scope for sheep, moose, bou, deer, elk, and black bear.

5lbs seems a bit heavy so I'm leaning towards the 50mm and 60mm but I would love some feedback. I'm planning a sheep hunt next season and that'll be my main use for the scope. I don't like to carry anymore than I need to (of course).

Thanks!

Honestly there is no BUSHNELL product that I would ever waste my $$ on. JMO though. At the least, look at a nikon xl.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Honestly there is no BUSHNELL product that I would ever waste my $$ on. JMO though. At the least, look at a nikon xl.
    have to agree with northway on this one... especially when sheep are concerned.. Beg borrow or steal to get the best spotter available ,when it comes to sheep...great glass WILL make a world of difference when it comes to judging what is IMHO the hardest to judge for legal animal in ALaska..
    I would rather leave my pack behind then my spotter..

For just spotting game, IMHO out of your choices I would choose B, now having said that. If you are hunting sheep or trying to count browtines, pony up and buy the best you can. Good glass holds it value and can be sold easy enough. This is coming from someone that has bought 4 spotters to learn this lesson and I use a Swaro now. If I had it to do over I would have bought it from the start.

Good Luck
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks guys, message recived. I'll pass on the Bushnell stuff and see what I can figure out. The Kowa 601 isn't that much more than my "deal" on the Bushnell.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    For just spotting game, IMHO out of your choices I would choose B, now having said that. If you are hunting sheep or trying to count browtines, pony up and buy the best you can. Good glass holds it value and can be sold easy enough. This is coming from someone that has bought 4 spotters to learn this lesson and I use a Swaro now. If I had it to do over I would have bought it from the start.

Good Luck
    Ditto on your comment Stid: I wasted my money on buying four spotting scopes prior to getting my Swaro's....funny thing is is that had I purchased my Swaro's first, I would have saved money in the long run.

Leica, Ziess or Swarovski. Pay now or pay later. Just my opinion. Duckdon
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

I can only support the thought of buying the "alpha" glass first. In the long run, you will be thankful you did.
    Look at the features of all 3 in person and wait for a sale or someone selling that very model.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Totally agree......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I think some bushnell rifle scopes are decent, but I agree that when it comes to a spotter, I wouldn't consider a bushnell over others in that price range. I bit the bullet, got a swaro and couldn't be happier with it
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

What is your dollar budget? Get the best glass you can afford. Bushnell is not it, IMO .
    If you can't see it. You can't shoot it

I agree go swaro. It will hurt for a wile, but in the end its worth it. After buying it be prepared to be shaking in your boots every time you leave the house with it. Im starting to get brave with mine, but still am weary taking it on some of the rougher hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    I agree go swaro. It will hurt for a wile, but in the end its worth it. After buying it be prepared to be shaking in your boots every time you leave the house with it. Im starting to get brave with mine, but still am weary taking it on some of the rougher hunts.
    LOL.... I can tell ya where to find one or at least start to look for one I lost if you want to go look for it...
    Last edited by Bear; 01-25-2013 at 20:55. Reason: Content

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    LOL.... I can tell ya where to find one I lost if you want to go look for it...
    Sounds like you need to start a new thread...
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Look into Vortex for spotting scopes. You canít beat there warranty and they are very reasonable in price for the quality. Cabelas had a great sale on these a month ago, it might come around again. http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/spotting_scopes

I don't have the knowledge to say but just for argument sake how about some recommendations for some lower budget folks. It's really easy to recommend the best and most expensive.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

IMHO the Pentax PF-65EDA II Spotting Scope, is one of the best for the money. I used one for years and killed a few sheep using it.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

this is all good advice...as the best quality pays big dividends. i would suggest buying a used spotter in a size and weight that fits your needs. some are big, heavy, and hard to carry. a fixed power is cheaper and lighter too. just my .02.
    happy trails.
    jh

Default I need spotting scope advice

I have a mid range vortex and loved it. Then I went on a sheep hunt. Came across a really close hard to tell ram. Told myself I should get a clearer scope to get a really good look at those tips or maybe even try to count rings. Needless to say I didn't get the scope I went with the hilleburg tent instead. So the next year I go on another hunt and come upon the same problem. Slept comfortable in my new tent but left carrying my tent with no sheep. So this year I have been saving and will not leave without a swaro or Leica. That being said the vortex was great for moose caribou and bear. And I will keep it. But sheep hunting requires its own special equipment. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359215488.632029.jpg

Why reccomend something cheaper. It's a sheep hunt which more then likely he is investing a lot of time and money. Why go second rate on the most important piece of gear.. You can get away with a lesser tent or a lessor stove or lessor other gear and still have a great hunt. You WILL regret not having the best scope possible...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast