Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 2000 watt inverter for $630 at Costco

Default Yamaha 2000 watt inverter for $630 at Costco

Just at the Anchorage Costco on Debarr and they have a Yamaha 2000 watt inverter for about half price. This is a great size to use on the boat or with a motorhome. Only 44 lbs and very quiet. (I don't work for Costco but I just bought one.)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorBob View Post
    Just at the Anchorage Costco on Debarr and they have a Yamaha 2000 watt inverter for about half price. This is a great size to use on the boat or with a motorhome. Only 44 lbs and very quiet. (I don't work for Costco but I just bought one.)
    Inverter or generator ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

It is an Inverter

Modified sign wave or pure sign wave?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I just called Costco, here is what they have. It is a "Smarter Tools" generator with a Yamaha engine AP2000i.

A quick search to the Smarter Tools web page : http://www.usesmartertools.com/AP-2000i.html

And a discussion on the same genny : http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...generator.html

It doesn't really seem like a bad deal, but it still isn't a true Yamaha generator, just the Engine is. Im not sure about any of the other internals.
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

I prefer the Honda.

An inverter converts 12 volt power from your battery bank to 110 (or possibly 220). Inverters do not have motors. I think what Pastor Bob found is a 2,000 watt GENERATOR that is powered by a Yamaha engine.
    Pretty good price and time will tell how it holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    An inverter converts 12 volt power from your battery bank to 110 (or possibly 220). Inverters do not have motors
    True......I don't think I've ever heard of an inverter that had a motor.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Most all of the smaller ones are inverters, they have both AC and DC outlets. DC voltage can be generated with less noise and less energy.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    True......I don't think I've ever heard of an inverter that had a motor.....
    Me two.......... so I look it up and what I found......... if you take a engine added a generator and a inverter we now have a INVERTER GENERATOR.

Who knew? Google LOL

Here is what the inverter looks like and it appears to be a true sine wave.Attachment 67662

Default Without the technical talk and trigonometry ...

or whatever a sine wave is, those small generators...at least my Honda 1000i and 2000i might mean inverter with that little "i" after the watt designation, but what they really do, I am told and believe, is have a constant voltage at any speed and are safe and desirable to use with a computer, or any other sensitive electronic equipment. And, they do have AC or DC, and a eco-throttle setting that only uses enough generator speed for the amp draw. Besides that, they are quiet and sip fuel which is why I have them.

I wish I could find one of those Honda 1000 or a Yammie 1000...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    There is one on CL right now. Used 1 time so they say. $750. I have the 2000, and I would spend the $ to step up to that if I were you. Can never go wrong with more power right?

Why not just go with the 2000? I think that you will find that extra umph will be much appreciated while out on the boat. The 1000 only puts out 8.3A at max.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The reason for the smaller one is space, my boat is just not big enough to bring my Yamie 2400 along unless I want to use if for a seat on the back deck and with 4 people and a dog on board that is not going to happen... Maybe I should just buy a bigger boat... ya ya that is the solution... There is a nice coldwater on craigslist for 310K... generator already installed.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

The reason for the smaller one is space, my boat is just not big enough to bring my Yamie 2400 along unless I want to use if for a seat on the back deck and with 4 people and a dog on board that is not going to happen... Maybe I should just buy a bigger boat... ya ya that is the solution... There is a nice coldwater on craigslist for 310K... generator already installed.
    17.7" x 9.4" x 15.0" Honda 1000

20.1" x 11.4" x 16.7" Honda 2000

20.8" x 16.5" x 18.2" Your yammie

Bring your yammie, leave the beer at home, and bring a nice bottle of bourbon.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If your boat has a built in shore power with a battery charger I would suggest going with the 2,000 unless you can bypass the charger. I tried using our Yamaha 1,000 on our current RV and found out I could not power both the TV and battery charger at the same time. Moving up to the 2,000 fixed that. Borrow a buddies 1,000 watt and make sure it will power whatever you need before buying one. Powering up items takes more power than what the generator might be rated at.

Of course, much depends on how big of a charger you have but our RV is only set up to charge two 6 volt batteries at a time and one 12 volt.

Quote Originally Posted by PastorBob View Post
    Anyone know if they still have these?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Default Re: Yamaha 2000 watt inverter for $630 at Costco

One thing to look at is the constant voltage vs start voltage. 2000 is normally start. 1600 is the constant on some that I've been looking at.

Saw a cheap one at Home Depot for 480.00 (abbot)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast