Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nunivak Island - Shipping Horns, Meat, and Hide

Default Nunivak Island - Shipping Horns, Meat, and Hide

Does anyone have any reccomendations on packing and shipping horns, meat, and hide from Nunivak? I was planning on packing the meat in 3 or 4 50# fish boxes and the hide and horns in a large action packer probably either a 35 or 48 gallon. I would imagine that would work but I have also been told the hide can be quite bulky. Also, does anyone know if I can check everything with my normal luggage or will I have to arrange to ship it out? I am flying on Alaska and ERA.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I did that hunt last year and came back with full hide, skull, horns and 252 lbs of meat...4 fish boxes, (bought at Costco prior to trip) and a tarp for the skull and hide...the entire "baggage" might not make the flight back with you but will be shipped space available and can be picked up at the airport...meat made it back with me...but the hide and horns were there the next day...

P2180282.jpgIMG_0469.jpg

other options were a large plastic trash can for the hide...(saw another fellow do that)...it worked for me...Good Luck and good hunting...

Tried to send a pm but couldnt. Send me your email or phone and i will gladly share pwd@gci.net
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Hey guys......not to hijack but can any of you compare muskox meat to anything else? Just curious as to what it tastes like...??? Thanks and good luck Ritz...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
    Does anyone have any reccomendations on packing and shipping horns, meat, and hide from Nunivak? I was planning on packing the meat in 3 or 4 50# fish boxes and the hide and horns in a large action packer probably either a 35 or 48 gallon. I would imagine that would work but I have also been told the hide can be quite bulky. Also, does anyone know if I can check everything with my normal luggage or will I have to arrange to ship it out? I am flying on Alaska and ERA.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    I used rubbermaid roughneck totes. 2 big ones for head and one for hide. And 3 medium for meat( pictured). Drill holes in lids for Zip ties to hold lid on. I stacked them all together and then zipped tied all lids on for one bag going out (packed arctic gear in it as well going out). Then separated them when I needed them. They are the toughest totes even at -20!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hey guys......not to hijack but can any of you compare muskox meat to anything else? Just curious as to what it tastes like...??? Thanks and good luck Ritz...!!!
    It is simply fantastic, my absolute favorite now! It is marbled like beef. Mild but a hint of excellent flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    It is simply fantastic!
    I know, I've heard it's great........but what's it like?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I was on Nunivak last February and took a good ox. Bring out five 50 lb fish boxes (can buy at Costco) and bring them out with you still flattened. Bring a bunch of small zip ties, fold the boxes into the correct position, punch some holes though the cardboard, and use the zip ties to secure them in final shape. I boned out a good portion of m meat and placed it in four boxes. The fifth box I was able to fit my horns in by cutting off the front half of the skull. This will reduce some weight as well. I was able to throw my bunny boots in with the horns to fill up the remaining space. I put the hide in a 48 gallon tote as dieNqvrs shows above. I drilled my holes in the lip of the lid ahead of time and flew a some gear out in it on my trip.

Who are you using for a transporter or guide? If going with a transporter, do your homework on trophy ox before you go. I wish you good weather. You'll have a great time.

Oh, I flew all of my meat, hide, and horns back to Anchorage on Lynden from Bethel. The rest of my gear went with me on Alaska. The air transport companies don't fly every day so if you ship meat it might have a day or two lag. Era does have cold storage.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

The meat was tender, had great marbling, nice layer of fat between meat and hide, (not sure where they get their fat content other than stored from summer)...The scraps and leftover pieces made some of the best summer sausage and pepper sticks I have ever had...Ribs are not as big or meaty as moose, but the roasts are awesome...

IMG_0486.jpg

The steak cuts were the finest tablefare I have ever had...

Excellant flavor and thats a good thing. If you get an old bull, you'll be chewing it a while.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. I was thinking along the lines of fish boxes and totes I just needed a better idea of how many boxes and how big of a tote. I am looking forward to this hunt, after drawing this permit almost a year ago it is all starting to set in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. I was thinking along the lines of fish boxes and totes I just needed a better idea of how many boxes and how big of a tote. I am looking forward to this hunt, after drawing this permit almost a year ago it is all starting to set in.
    Everyone's pretty much covered what you asked. We did the fall hunt...hiked a ton. In Bethel we used NAC to ship meat back...two ox about 650+ lbs. We used the gray plastic totes and won't ever use them again as the lids require taping down and don't latch. Flattened fish boxes with plastic liners. Leave behind what you don't need but take what you will need. Action packers for hide. OH....gallon bottled water $10 smackers. Take your water purifier.

Here's a link to the TV episode we produce on the trip. One photo shows the gray boxes in action. Ugh!
    http://www.alaskaoutdoorstelevision....ing-musk-oxen/
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

tdelarm couldn't message you yet I am headed up next month also send me a email at fshgde@yahoo.com and we can compare notes.

Can't help you much on the transport of the meat, but since questions were asked about meat, I'll chime in. The meat is really good. Some parts can be tough.
    First, I suggest spending as much time as necessary, within reason, to get a broadside shot. Try to hurt as little meat as possible. The Ox herd probably won't cooperate, but if you wait, they often move around and you may get the shot you want.
    I recommend saving the quality cuts of meat for eating as is. Ribs, back strap, tenderloins, a few roasts from the hind quarters and a few steaks from the front. Bone out the rest and make some into burger. The rest send out for sausage.
    4mer, you will just have to find a way to try some. Ox has it's own taste. I consider it somewhat sweeter then other game animals. It is excellent eating.
    Good luck on the hunt to those who got permits.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I Just returned from Nunivak 2 weeks ago and I had mailed out 4 18 gal rubbermaid totes and 1 XXXL water proof bag. Due arriving in Bethel late and unable to ship as frieght I checked it on Alaska Airlines as extra bags and it was only 200.00 And that covered 200lbs of meat and cape and skull. the totes made it easy for mailing and also shipped out my knives and other items. Used zip ties and duct tape for the lids

I am heading out next week, just picked up some fish boxes today. I am still trying to find something to transport the hide and skull in. I looked at a 48 gallon action packer and they are not as deep as I remember them being. I am pretty sure I used one to ship my bear hide out of Kodiak a few years ago, can't remember for sure, maybe it will work. I have also consider some time of water proof / dry bag. Do you know what the volume is of the bag you used?

I am heading out next week, just picked up some fish boxes today. I am still trying to find something to transport the hide and skull in. I looked at a 48 gallon action packer and they are not as deep as I remember them being. I am pretty sure I used one to ship my bear hide out of Kodiak a few years ago, can't remember for sure, maybe it will work. I have also consider some time of water proof / dry bag. Do you know what the volume is of the bag you used?

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    tdelarm couldn't message you yet I am headed up next month also send me a email at fshgde@yahoo.com and we can compare notes.
    Will do. Or....remind me at tim.delarm@59thpp.com GOOD LUCK!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

When I shipped my meat and hide from Nunivak I used a huge duffle bag (think body bag size) from Cabelas for the hide and a fish box for the skull. I would never put any hide in a dry bag or plastic bag. What if it gets lost for a few days?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast