Thread: First Scout Rifle build need ideas for the "Rivah Scout"

Default First Scout Rifle build need ideas for the "Rivah Scout"

After getting schooled on the scout rifle concept and the history of the rifles(thanks hodge and others), I noticed two things:

Two of the most influential guns around the concept was the model (1)94 winchester, and (2) mannlicher carbines.

Owning and shooting both, I can understand what qualities these rifles bring to the hunt. Nothing carries better than a model 94, and nothing points faster or settles down in the offhand shooting position than a model 94. Mount a scope atop the receiver (angle eject), and you've ruined everything.

Carrying the petite receiver of a model 94 is about the most comfortable carry you'll find, likewise, the strengthened big bore only weighs about 4-8 oz more than a standard 94.....hardly nothing at all.

The 356 winchester warrants the use of a strengthened big-bore, and warrants the use of a 2x scope. It's capable of fast shooting up close, and a well placed 250 grain round nose at 300 yds (max).

This combo IMO, would be the ultimate scout rifle with 250 grain woodleigh round nosed bullets over TAC or Reloader 10x.

Can you mount a 2x EER scope........ scout style on a 356 win big bore?

any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post

any ideas?
    I have mounted a Scout scope on a standard 94 using Ashley Outdoors "Scout Mount" made specifically for the application. I'm not sure what dimensional differences there are between the two, but at first glance I can't imagine it would be too difficult for a decent gunsmith to iron out. I believe B-Square also produced a scout mount for the Winchester but I've not used or seen one.

I've also had one mounted on Marlin rifles using those Ashley mounts with good success. I know the WWG folks are fans of the Scout application on their Co-Pilots so they would be who I'd start with if it needed custom work.

I would suggest you look at the IER line of scopes (Burris, Leupold) rather than the EER pistol scopes. I've used both and the IER lines up quicker for me. I believe the eye relief on EER scopes is a bit too long for mounting just forward of a receiver.

Ashley also makes a good peep sight to add to the aft end to allow irons with the scope dismounted.

The .356 has a lot to recommend to it. I know Cooper wrote extensively about the "Lion Scout" based on the .350 RM 600 carbine and I've seen a couple .358 Scouts that were very nice.

Browning also makes a Scout mount for their nifty BLR....food for thinking if modding out a nice Big Bore 94 turns into too much hassle.

Edit:
    Ashley is now XS Sight Systems
    Last edited by hodgeman; 01-25-2013 at 14:07. Reason: Ashley is now XS Sight Systems/ Link
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Some interesting mount options here...

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/guns...12_Catalog.pdf

any ideas?
    I've got the Leupold FXII 2.5x Scout scope mounted on a no longer made Burris Scout mount on my 35-30/30 model 94. It would be hard for me to come up with ways to make that gun/scope combo better.

I've got one of the XS Scout mounts for a 94 I decided not to use that I'd sell you if your interested. Shoot me a PM if you want it.

Default Re: First Scout Rifle build need ideas for the "Rivah Scout"

After getting schooled on the scout rifle concept and the history of the rifles(thanks hodge and others), I noticed two things:

Two of the most influential guns around the concept was the model (1)94 winchester, and (2) mannlicher carbines.

Owning and shooting both, I can understand what qualities these rifles bring to the hunt. Nothing carries better than a model 94, and nothing points faster or settles down in the offhand shooting position than a model 94. Mount a scope atop the receiver (angle eject), and you've ruined everything.

Carrying the petite receiver of a model 94 is about the most comfortable carry you'll find, likewise, the strengthened big bore only weighs about 4-8 oz more than a standard 94.....hardly nothing at all.

The 356 winchester warrants the use of a strengthened big-bore, and warrants the use of a 2x scope. It's capable of fast shooting up close, and a well placed 250 grain round nose at 300 yds (max).

This combo IMO, would be the ultimate scout rifle with 250 grain woodleigh round nosed bullets over TAC or Reloader 10x.

any ideas?
    In your travels did you research the idea of the canoe gun or blanket rifle? I think Cooper had read into this when he came up with his scout rifle. I think your idea of a 2x is a good one. I have a straight 4x on my short mosin concept and at 100 I can see an 8 inch circle OK. My idea was to have something to shoot to 150 yards accurately, just a little less then Coopers idea.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Have no clue what a "rivah" is but I have heard of "river"...

Awww Dang, now 323 is a speller! I better get my words right......yesssah.

Hodge,
    That scout BLR has potential. The BLR receiver is fairly comfortable to carry, did so for years. BLR is the only rifle I trust with a hot chamber, so five is possible. The hinged hammer is about the safest/quickest system I've ever found.

AHodge,
    That scout BLR has potential. The BLR receiver is fairly comfortable to carry, did so for years. BLR is the only rifle I trust with a hot chamber, so five is possible. The hinged hammer is about the safest/quickest system I've ever found.
    I think most of the BLRs come with longish barrels for a scout, but that's nothing that can't be lopped off. They're decent rifles but they don't carry like a 94 or Marlin.

I know Big Bore 94s are getting harder to come by so unless you have one in hand it might be problematic to find, possibly could punch out a Marlin XLR since they have zero collector value and don't bring much on the secondary market.

Please keep me posted on the progress- Scouts are kinda my thing and I love seeing how people come up with different things around the concept.

I messed with one of the Ruger Gunsites the other day and it was pretty neat if you lost the oversized mag and lopped off the flash suppressor. I thought it might have potential bored out to .338Fed- it had enough metal in the tube to probably even go to .358WIN.

I briefly considered turning my Steyr into .338 but there isn't enough barrel thickness- it's about as thin as they could make it for a .308 already.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit