Thread: 30-06 XL7 and adjusted loads

Default 30-06 XL7 and adjusted loads

My previous work with my Marlin XL7 30-06 with a 22" barrel produced over 3,000fps with a 165gr load and three rounds being tested with a strain gauge averaged 63,751 of pressure and certainly this is a +P 30-06 load if there was such a thing out there certified as a +P load, but there isn't, so it is time to back down as I already have. Will be posting in the near future on this thread new load results for a variety of bullets, powders, primers and brass along with OAL data.

As far as my action being a modern action and stronger action than older rifles which can't and should not handle these pressures in the 63,000 range, neither should I continue in theses ranges with my modern action. There is no reason to push my rifle to the edge when I can use a 300Win Mag if I want over 3000fps with a 165gr bullet.

Frankly, I am more than satisfied getting in the low 2900fps out of my 30-06 and a 165gr bullet, not pushing the envelope or my rifle while having outstanding velocities for my 22" barreled 06 and better accuracy to boot. I do believe judicious load development and careful planning of my method of moving up in load charges in very small 2 tenths of a grain increments, as well as using different types of brass (Remington and Winchester) along with different primers (Rem 9 1/2 M, 210 fed, CCI 250 and Rem 9 1/2) to see how these combinations worked with each increase of my powder charge. This proved to be very beneficial in not being to extreme in my final load, although it was a hot load. Now I am using as stated above a reduced load and it falls in the low 2900fps range.

I think the 30-06 has so much potential that is untapped (always believed this of the 30-06) now that we have new actions, powders, and a very large variety of bullets to do so much with the 06 in the years to come. I do love the 30-06 and always have, but the days of IMR4350 being the best powder for the 06 over the spectrum of bullets weights available are long gone, although it is still a good powder to use for the 06 with some bullet weights, but no longer the overall best powder for the 30-06.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Over on Accuratereloading.com a section in reloading, the owner of the forum starts out with low loads and works up to WAY over max. You can see that the tightest groups come around 85% of max, then begin to open up as the steel in the action and barrel begin to move around with the strain.

I agree there is no reason to push to the edge of safety. Anyway, the best groups will almost always be below max.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Yes, most of the time the accurate load is below max. The only bullet this 06 likes just at max is the 180gr Speer RN Hot Core at 2802fps.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS