Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 280AI Loads

Default 280AI Loads

Got new new toys and can't wait to get out and play with them. Anyone else working up loads for 280AI?

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

What rifle did you get?

I've had three different .280AI's, and I still own two of them. I found them all to be very user-friendly, and Nosler's brass takes the fire-forming step out of the loading process.

I have had good luck finding good accuracy with several bullets in the 120gr - 160gr range and a multitude of powders, including IMR 4831, H4831, RL-17, RL-22, and N165. I've pretty much settled on the 140gr T-TSX (or 139gr GMX) for critters, and wouldn't hesitate to tag a moose with this combo.

Mr Dan,

Thanks for the great info. The rifle I got is a Kimber Mountain Ascent, it is a light weight version of the Montana. I hope to try some of the new Nosler Long Range Accubonds that are due out this spring.

Founding Member

I was looking at those LR Accubonds on Nosler site today. I was thinking man those would be awesome out of a 280 Ai or 7 mag. I really hope they come out with a .338 225 grain in the near future. It could strecth the limits of my 338-06AI. Stid, did you note on the LR Accubonds the impact velocity is good down to 1300 fps unlike 1800 fps with the Accubonds and Partitions. Those LR will open up way past most people's shooting limits.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Stid, did you note on the LR Accubonds the impact velocity is good down to 1300 fps unlike 1800 fps with the Accubonds and Partitions. Those LR will open up way past most people's shooting limits.
    I did notice that, plus they are supposed to be good close up even at high velocity as well. I'm really excited about sending a few downrange. I'm sure they will expand the line if they perform as advertised.
    Founding Member

Mr Steve,
    Please keep us posted, I am patiently waiting for a montana in 280 AI to show up any of the shops down here. Hoping one will be availalbe by mid March. Was in Sportsmans today & noticed they no longer have the 140 gr Nossler accoubonds on hand, did you order yours online?
    I like Dan's idea of trying the 139GMX as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Mr Steve,
    Please keep us posted, I am patiently waiting for a montana in 280 AI to show up any of the shops down here. Hoping one will be availalbe by mid March. Was in Sportsmans today & noticed they no longer have the 140 gr Nossler accoubonds on hand, did you order yours online?

I got all my stuff used in a package deal, rifle, dies, ammo and brass. With all this craziness it is hard to find about any rifle.

If you do find a Montana, there is a guy on Gunbroker selling aluminum trigger guards that are much lighter than the factory steel one.

I like the exotic calibers, but finding ammo in Alaska can be tough, that is why I keep a 30-06 around too.

Good luck and I will update this thread once I start building some loads.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The rifle I got is a Kimber Mountain Ascent, it is a light weight version of the Montana.
    That's cool. I saw an Ascent in .308 a while back. Crazy light!

I have a Montana and a re-barreled 700 (Lilja). I have been really impressed with the accuracy of the GMX. I snagged a bunch on the cheap, as factory seconds, and they flat-out shoot! We've killed a couple of black bears with them, so they seem to work on the business end, as well.

I picked up several pounds of RL-22 when the gettin' was good, but I'm running low on both flavors of 4831 - craziness considered, I probably will be for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Mr Steve,
    Chimo's in Wasilla has a Montana 280AI on the shelf.

I only have 1 lb or RL22 and 1 of IMR4350 to try if I recall correctly. I can't remember if I picked up any RL17 I sure hope I grabbed at least a pound of it. Really wish I had more time to work up loads last year because as soon as I get one figured out I will just drop the coin for an 8lb jug. Wish AA2200 would work for it since I have about 4lbs of it. Worst case I will just do all my hunting this year with the 6.8SPC...

I fondled the acsent(sp) at gng it was light that's for sure... But the stock really turned me off, whoever brainstormed that should be slapped... I had the 7mm Gibbs the ackley on steroids the best I ever got shooting 160 was close to 3100 f.p.s... Knew a fella with ballistic program he ran my data through it and told me better back off cause I was running into dangerous psi.. I said screw this and scrapped the whole project... To this day I contend one is better off with a std 280 load it to the 270 winchester pressure 62,000 psi and there is no need for the AI... To this day the std 280 is kept around 57,000 psi due to the auto loaders out thier chambered for the 280.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I only have 1 lb or RL22 and 1 of IMR4350 to try if I recall correctly. I can't remember if I picked up any RL17 I sure hope I grabbed at least a pound of it. Really wish I had more time to work up loads last year because as soon as I get one figured out I will just drop the coin for an 8lb jug. Wish AA2200 would work for it since I have about 4lbs of it. Worst case I will just do all my hunting this year with the 6.8SPC...
    Hell yeah I have a ach and iotv you can use...

I'm in the process of building a 280AI on a pre-64. One thing I ran into was the difference in the "traditional" ackley and the "new" SAAMI 280AI. Just make sure the dies you have match the chamber you have. All off-the-shelf rifles should be the SAAMI version, and I think all new dies (except Lee) are the SAAMI dies.

The new SAAMI dies on an older AI might have excessive headspace, and the old dies might not touch the shoulder during FL sizing of brass from a SAAMI chamber. But I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what you get for loads to work. I'm excited to get mine and start on loads.

By the way, I'm looking for a set of the "old dies" if anyone has a set they want to sell. Redding 280 Rem Imp 40 (part 84428) or an RCBS set.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    I'm in the process of building a 280AI on a pre-64. One thing I ran into was the difference in the "traditional" ackley and the "new" SAAMI 280AI. Just make sure the dies you have match the chamber you have. All off-the-shelf rifles should be the SAAMI version, and I think all new dies (except Lee) are the SAAMI dies.

The new SAAMI dies on an older AI might have excessive headspace, and the old dies might not touch the shoulder during FL sizing of brass from a SAAMI chamber. But I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what you get for loads to work. I'm excited to get mine and start on loads.

By the way, I'm looking for a set of the "old dies" if anyone has a set they want to sell. Redding 280 Rem Imp 40 (part 84428) or an RCBS set.
    Thanks for the tip, here is some good info.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/com...3-280CachedYou
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    How did RL22 work in your Kimber 280 AI?

Default 280AI Loads

Haven't had a chance to start working on loads for it yet since I got shipped out to work overseas before I got to it. I did manage to score $100 pieces of Nosler AI brass a week before I left so I do finally have all of the components, just need to get back home so I can work on it.

Grab the Nosler 280 AI brass when you see them, they go pretty quick when Sportsmans get them in. The price has gone up on them too, they are selling for $72 for a box of 50.

When I had my gun built I had Lex work up the load for it:
    160 grain Barnes TSX
    62 Grains IMR 7828
    CCI 200 (primers)
    Shoots at : 3025 FPS

Just got back from sportsmans, 280 AI brass is now $74.99 just jumped up two more dollars. Is there limitations on how much retailers can start gouging the consumer. ( i notice everything is is going up) won't be able to afford to shoot at the range soon.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Grab the Nosler 280 AI brass when you see them, they go pretty quick when Sportsmans get them in. The price has gone up on them too, they are selling for $72 for a box of 50.

When I had my gun built I had Lex work up the load for it:
    160 grain Barnes TSX
    62 Grains IMR 7828
    CCI 200 (primers)
    Shoots at : 3025 FPS
    What length barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    What length barrel?
    24 inch barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast