Thread: Eye Spy

Default Eye Spy

Do you guys see what is hiding in the picture?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otter under ice shelf.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	67554

sneeky otter. Did you get him?

yeah along story short though is i didnt realize he was in one of my traps i set. I should say i forgot i set a trap where i did because my sets sat for 2 months before i connected on anything. Well i found this perfect slide and as i was setting up my 220 on the slide out of the corner of my eye i see this otter poke it head out of the water and ice shelf. It about scared the bageebies out of me. I was not expecting to see anything 3 feet away from me while i was bending over setting this so called perfect set. I was so excited to have set the trap and to see the otter, that i got out of there and waited for like 20 minutes for the dang thing to come out. I was going to video it going into my 220 but the thing never came out. It kept popping its head out from the ice shelf a few times and the twenty minutes gave me time to get my thoughts and actions straight. I realized while i was filming that i saw what looked like a cable going down into the water. So i walked back over to my 220 and realized i literally stood on my anchor cable when i was setting my 220 and never even saw it the first time. So once i realized i had the live otter already i wiggled it out from under the ice shelf so i could dispatch it.

Nice, I always have my .22 pistol ready when I am on my line. I have had otters swim under log jams with me on top and I just had to wait them out. Curiosity dosn't only kill cats.

Very cool sir, don't feel bad anybody that lays a line out forgets one once in awhile! One time I was tucking a 110 into a rat den entrance when one came flying out and into the trap while I was holding it - talk about a heart stopper!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Now that's funny in a good way. I'd be sitting there all anxious too, just waiting, not realizing I had been smarter than myself. Pretty cool how the timing worked out. Any chance we'll get to see the whole thing?
    ARR

yeah i will post some pictures for you guys later today i have to run into anchorage real quick and then i will be back on the computer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otter catch #1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	67702these were the first two otters i have ever caught. I caught them about 2 weeks ago and they are two young females.

Name:	otter and fox.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	67703Here is a picture of the two young females with my fox i caught.

Name:	otter catch #2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	67704ok so these were the other two otters i caught this year. the one on the right was the one hiding under the ice shelf in my first picture posted.

Your eye spy pic shows a fairly light wire wrapped around a pole. If that is how you anchor the traps, even a conibear, I would recommend a heavier wire or snare cable to anchor the trap. Otter can be pretty tough on equipment if they stay alive.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Your eye spy pic shows a fairly light wire wrapped around a pole. If that is how you anchor the traps, even a conibear, I would recommend a heavier wire or snare cable to anchor the trap. Otter can be pretty tough on equipment if they stay alive.
    Good catch MT I Didn't even notice that I have had otter break 5/64 cable after being caught in a coni all my conis now have 1/8 cable
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Yeah that lighter wire is attached to my conibear. I guess i will have to change that one out to a cable one as well. The foothold that the otter is caught in is anchored with a cable and a few swivels. I love the cable anchors because they are super fast and easy to set up and use for the otter. Do any of you guys weigh your otters? What is your average weight for your otters?

The younger otters in my area on the Kenai Peninsula usually are about 14-16 lbs. The mature otters have weighed between 24 and 30 lbs. Congrats on the otters! One of my favorite critters to trap.