Thread: Best moose river out of Kotz

Default Best moose river out of Kotz

I'm looking into floating a river out of Kotzebue for Moose. I would also like to do some fishing but that is a distant second to finding good moose. What is the best source for finding a good river to hunt?
    Jim

Honestly, I would talk to Pristine Ventures...they can help from what I understand.

Get Michael Strahan's book and then check the regs to make sure you'll be able to get on the river from air. Some of those rivers are closed to people coming in on a bush flight.

Honestly, I would talk to Walt at Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals. We have ben outfitting unit 23 for 12 years. PM sent

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Float hunts and Drop Camps
    Kotz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kobuk River.

Big, wide. lots of public lands, villages at the head and lower ends, commercial airstrips at all villages, and plenty of Moose inbetween.

We have lots of Moose up amnd down this river.

Good luck!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

stranger, a vast majority besides the park and above the town of kobuk is NANA land or allotments. Its a pain in the ass to find land around any of the villages that isn't look at the nanalands.com notice to hunters map. I don't disagree that its good moose country but you can find yourself in some hot water hunting some of that stuff they checked some friends last year to make sure they wern't hunting NANA land.

http://www.nanalands.com/website/nanalands/viewer.htm

http://www.nanalands.com/land_status....htm#nanalands

http://mappery.com/map-of/Kobuk-Vall...l-Preserve-Map

http://www.nps.gov/kova/index.htm

There are alot of privatly owned propertys along the river, but between Ambler and Kian theres about 10-12 days and plenty of lowlands to hunt. Property starts above the high water mark, and the space between private propertys is pretty freekin' wide.

In Sept, Caribou will be found crossing too, growing in numbers as the month progresses

If you can read a map, youll do very well, there's side rivlets and sloughs, and plenty of Moose, but meat care is the priorty, as this is Meat Hunting country, people will see you and see what you got, its ediquett to visit and ask about the hunting, and a float can take more thana few days. Good meat care is simply keeping it dry, sand free and as much as could be salvaged.
    You can hang the meat at night and wrap them seperatly, gunny sacks and cotten meat bags are popular, and look for fly eggs, they can be sneaky. If you can not hang then or butcher on rocks, willows cut and piled will let air curculate and keep the meats off the sand. Do not pile the meat, keep it sepereated as best as possible.

Good luck, where ever you go.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I'll assume you have checked the regs. Your hunt on a harvest ticket is limited to Sept. 1-20. Latter part when you are more successful calling would be better hunting.
    Walt likely knows his stuff. Talk to him and probably be economical renting his stuff.
    Tag River and upper Selawik are decent hunting with less traffic than the Kobuk.
    Pick a transporter soon. They will also likely know the better hunting spots.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!