Thread: What happened to the "canoes made locally dude"?

Default What happened to the "canoes made locally dude"?

A while back a member was advertizing himself as "going into the canoe business". It sounded good back then, but I've not seen anything for quite a while.

I ask because I'm working out the details on a H.B I hope to recieve in March
    Mike

Mainer in Alaska is your man
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Last time I talked to him he still working on the mold for the canoe , has most of the stuff to make one , but going to school , an just got finished moving , I am sure you will here more about the canoe busness in Alaska as time goes on
    SID

Mainers people built canoes for thousands of years without schooling so what up with that. Now days rocket scientist are saying you want fries with that.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    A while back a member was advertizing himself as "going into the canoe business". It sounded good back then, but I've not seen anything for quite a while.

I ask because I'm working out the details on a H.B I hope to recieve in March
    Mike
    Hi there bud, still here, just slower than expected. I'm ok with that though! If it makes yah feel any better, I cut my Taiga Creek model into about 14 different pieces, to make dimensional changes for the 22 ft Alaskan Freighter. Had to use my esquif cargo this season, I missed my tough fiberglass boat the whole time, but still made due.

Here's some reasons for the lack of time:
    1. About a month long hunt with prep and field time.
    2. Shortly after a successful hunt, Had to move entire shop, but now at a permanent location with a larger/permanent shop being built as we speak.
    3. Wind storm damage to the existing shop
    4. Wind storm damage to the 22 ft male plug
    5. Almost three weeks on the east coast for the holidays (really needed it!)
    6. Full time class load.
    7. 9 malamute puppies to care for (finally done)
    8. Single father.

Any hoo, The male plug will be repaired after the wind damage from the 100 mph gusts up here in bear valley, sanded baby smooth, and greased up (mold release agent and waxed too). The 22 ft Alaskan Freighter male plug will be ready for the two piece female mold, and ready for production in March. Still in the process of building the toughest darn canoes you've ever seen, but later than expected.

Figured I'd at least post some photos of the male plug, don't mind the wind damage, mother nature can be harsh! It'll be an easy fix.
    The dimensions: 22 ft 6 inches long x 60 inches wide (before gunwales).
    30 inch flat planing surface to make the surface drives happy (at stern). Widest planing surface: near the first one third of the boat at (38 inches wide) to help climb up what's left of whitewater after the bow splits the top of the waves.
    24 in depth
    39 inch tall bow

Y'all can keep me on my toes any time you'd like.....it motivates me. Adapt and overcome.

Dang thing swallows a set of 55 inch antlers:

Attached Images Attached Images

Anyhoo,

After reading the book "Hudson Bay Watershed", an image of a Cree Indian hewing out a large standing paddle from a fire-killed spruce amazed me. Likewise, observing the large paddles made by the Tlingit and Haida hand an equal effect on me.

I met up with an old co-worker a while back in northern Maine, he is what I consider to be one of the best paddle makers in the country. He started his own business, and he will be my paddle supplier. All the fluffy/light paddles are junk, and not sufficient to muscle a big canoe down rivah. The Cree-style paddles came to a point, so that you can PUSH off bottom and PUSH off boulders. The round blades slip, and are feeble.

Together, we designed a very nice standing push paddle. It's tough as nails being made entirely of the highest grade white ash in stock. I will have them shipped with no finish and I'll be wrapping the blades in lightweight s-glass with my custom blend of epoxy resin, the s-glass will be vacuum sealed onto the blades. Oars on canoes are slap on my Indian face. Gonna fix that with these standing push paddles, push-poles and youtube videos to follow. Probably on the Charley River this spring.

I have a dozen 7 ft tall standing push paddles coming north, and the sizes will come in 7 ft. 7.5 ft, and 6.5 ft.

An elder from my tribe gifted me a nice pack basket too(in the first picture), great trip back home!

Attached Images Attached Images

glad to hear you are persevering! mother earth has a funny sense of humor, eh? I'd likely be interested in trying out how a 7' paddle pushes the grumman if one isn't spoken for me. Shoot me a pm.

Where can I get that paddle in Maine?

thanks
    jon

That is a fine looking paddle.
    Here are some crude ones I carved out of spruce
    They are patterned off a hooper bay paddle.
    They have a similar blade shape as yours and work nicely.

Good luck with the project mainer, sounds like you have a whole lotta work ahead. I'm interested in your layup plans, send me an email.... Where is Bear Valley?

Any progress on these?

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Good luck with the project mainer, sounds like you have a whole lotta work ahead. I'm interested in your layup plans, send me an email.... Where is Bear Valley?
    Bear valley is in anchorage up on the hillside. Take rabbit crk rd up to get there hang a right at fire station.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Rope View Post
    Any progress on these?

gotta test the paddles, will post progress. I ordered them dry/unfinished for my first test samples, and planned modifications.

Also interested in the freighters, the one similar to the Hudson Bay.

Any word on these canoes?