Thread: Why are our duck seasons so short?

Default Why are our duck seasons so short?

Anyone know why our seasons are so short here on the KP? I know the puddle ducks are mostly gone but we could still be out shooting the sea ducks. Why does our season end in December and just down in Kodiak it goes to the middle of January.
    Is there any way to get it changed?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Anyone know why our seasons are so short here on the KP? I know the puddle ducks are mostly gone but we could still be out shooting the sea ducks. Why does our season end in December and just down in Kodiak it goes to the middle of January.
    Is there any way to get it changed?

Submit a proposal to the B.O.G. and see where it goes.

I wish we could get a two day spring season with a limit of one or two birds just for wall mounters since almost all of our birds are shot in eclipse. But, I seriously doubt that would fly. It would be nice to shoot a full color widgeon, pintail, or green wing though.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I wish we could get a two day spring season with a limit of one or two birds just for wall mounters since almost all of our birds are shot in eclipse. But, I seriously doubt that would fly. It would be nice to shoot a full color widgeon, pintail, or green wing though.
    About 15 years ago I got a full colored widgeon on rabbit slough its now on my wall the only one I ever saw
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

The answer is USFW sets the dates and season lengths that the states must operate within. More info than I can stand to read now, but here is a link for you, includes spring seasons too. Enjoy.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Default Re: Why are our duck seasons so short?

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    The answer is USFW sets the dates and season lengths that the states must operate within. More info than I can stand to read now, but here is a link for you, includes spring seasons too. Enjoy.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/

Wow that was a lot of info to go through. I couldn't find what I was looking for in there so I sent out some e-mails and now I hope to get a reply or two back. It would be nice to be able to hunt in to January chasing sea ducks and finding the occasional puddle duck that has stayed around.

Wow that was a lot of info to go through. I couldn't find what I was looking for in there so I sent out some e-mails and now I hope to get a reply or two back. It would be nice to be able to hunt in to January chasing sea ducks and finding the occasional puddle duck that has stayed around.

You can, but you gotta migrate south. Today's bagimage.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    You can, but you gotta migrate south. Today's bagimage.jpg
    Nice I am extremely jealous. Where abouts are you hunting? I went to California back in December and we did real good. I do wish I could at least go and shoot some sea ducks right now.

Nice I am extremely jealous. Where abouts are you hunting? I went to California back in December and we did real good. I do wish I could at least go and shoot some sea ducks right now.

I'm down in Washington. Last week of their season. Just finished up a weeks hunt. Primarily a goose hunt, but I like to get a duck shoot or two in. We did well, but worked for them this year.

I have two cousins that are big duck hunters down in California, we had a great shoot with lots of ducks and geese when I was there mid December, but after I left it turned off and both of them said it's the worst they have ever seen. One of them has been out 11 times and killed one goose and 8 ducks.
    I told him at least he is still getting to hunt.

Our season is not any shorter than anywhere else. It is 107 days, which the Feds say we can have. All the other areas, Kodiak, Southeast, Aleutians, California, Oregon, Rhode Island, etc. get the same amount of time. Our season starts earlier. Try shooting ducks September 1st anywhere else in the country. (besides the early teal seasons) Ducks are ducks in their eyes. If the season was later, better chances at missing out on Sandhill's and specklebellies. The harbor in Homer froze up early this year. We're doing good as it is.

I forget all the details/titles, but a "committee" determines whether we get a restricted, or liberal season and limits based on water conditions, nest success, etc. the pacific flyway usually gets a long season with liberal bag limits. Wasn't always so. I remember back in the mid 80's it got pretty slim on limits. I think our season starts as early as it can, any earlier many birds would still be too young to fly. I'd love to see a "split" season. Maybe start in September as usual, then end November 30, then open April 1 through 15 with a reduced bag ( like 2 per day). It will never happen as I think we are restricted on dates by the treaty with Mexico and Canada. Unless its called Subsistence or done under a conservation order ( spring snows). Would be nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    then open April 1 through 15 with a reduced bag ( like 2 per day). It will never happen
    This will never happen for a lot of reasons. The most important one is that 80% of hatchlings die in their first year, and even though the odds for a duck surviving go up from there, it's a rotten idea to shoot the ducks that survive a long migration (two directions) when they return to the breeding grounds. Hens especially need protection then because they're full of eggs.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    This will never happen for a lot of reasons. The most important one is that 80% of hatchlings die in their first year, and even though the odds for a duck surviving go up from there, it's a rotten idea to shoot the ducks that survive a long migration (two directions) when they return to the breeding grounds. Hens especially need protection then because they're full of eggs.
    I would never support this if it had a negative impact on the populations. I'm not sure that it would but I'm not an expert in that area and would defer to those that are.

We do have a spring season by the way. Its under the Fed rules and is conducted in all of Alaska except the "urban" areas, mostly along the road system and in areas of the SE. This has been happening for many years, and having done some reading, do recall seeing studies suggesting that this spring season has little impact as to overall production in Alaska. The spring season is long, without limit etc....If I lived in these areas, I'd be right there with them.

I wouldn't mind seeing a split season in order to extend the sea duck season. From what I remember the treaty between the US, Canada and Mexico sets bird season from Sept. 1st until March 10th (I think it is March 10th or there abouts) There was a special exception given for the conservation concern relating to the Spring snow goose hunt. I was in the midwest for the first couple years of the spring goose season and it ended March 10th due the treaty, a year or so after I moved up here they extended the season.

I think the spring Federal hunts are conducted under subsistence rules, and I don't think a trophy can be kept under those circumstances. Am I correct? For a rural subsistence user, a spring duck tastes like a fall duck.

I suppose I was only talking about a general season. The ducks arrive just in time to lay their eggs... any earlier and there would be no water/ducks.

With regard to the OP and a short season, I'm not sure I can agree. I can hunt more productive days out of 40 (freeze-up) in Alaska than I could with 60 in TN. We spent the first 2/3 of the season waiting for ducks to arrive. In the interior, at least, it's productive from day one until the ducks finally leave.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

We have the best opportunity of all to hunt 5 mos or more, starting Sept 1st, you just need the big bucks to be able to follow them south, all the way to Mexico. Bud
    Wasilla

Well i followed them to California this year and got a little extra hunting. I like the fact we get to hunt starting September 1st, but I would like to have more time to hunt in the winter. I didn't look at total number of days season was open in different areas I just looked at when they ended and since I start here opening day other places openers don't get looked at too much by me.
    It would still be nice to have a longer sea duck season