Thread: So I did it.....

Default So I did it.....

Back Story....

I have always had a small Kenai skiff.....then last summer I decided I wanted a bigger boat to fish the Kenai, and a few Halibut trips out of Homer....so I bought a 20 Hewes Sportsman with a 50 Yami....put 100 hours on it, Kenai, Homer, Deep Creek, Seward.....then a friend says lets go Shrimping in PWS....now I have lived in Sterling/Soldotna my whole life...raised on a homestead, of course I have been in Whittier several times but never on the water.....so we geared up and headed out....WOW after spending 8 days I am ruinied!! So the wife and kids and I of course knew after that we need a bigger boat.....I know the story of all of our lives! Sold the Sportsman in November and looked at lots of boats... started to plan for our use and money of course.....(I would love to have a 34' Bayweld or GC) but having other obligations we decided on a 26' Hewes Alaskan, I will be picking up the boat next week with any luck....and it begins....customizing and getting it ready for fishing. I enjoy looking at all the posts and pics you guys put on, and can't wait for spring!

I spent much of last winter getting my boat tricked out exactly like I wanted it. IMHO, the only thing more fun than working on a boat is being out on one and enjoying the upgrades that you have put in on those cold winter days. Enjoy and hope to see you out there.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

So you sound just like me. I started out with a 16' zodiac and fished everywhere with it. Then bought a Sportsman with the sportjet. I thought that was the best dual purpose boat. NOT! Then we got 6' itus and now we have a 26' Alaskan and love every minute of it. Be sure to post pictures of your new toy and keep us in the loop of the upgrades to come.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

The Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound is a must-have for every PWS boater. It contains hoards of great information.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...?products_id=5

the Lethcoe's, authors of that cruise guide, also wrote "A history of PWS", all should read that too...enjoy your new boat, we have the same one too!

Sounds like you may have 2 foot - itice. It is expensive, and really hard to cure.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I'm extremely jealous AK Fishkiller. My girl and I were just at the Northway Mall for Deweys boat show today. We crawled around in all their offshore models and decided a 26' Alaskan with the larger cabin would be the perfect boat for us. Might not be in our immediate future, but you've gotta keep the forum posted so we can live vicariously through you.

Hope to see you out there! It is a great place!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    The Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound is a must-have for every PWS boater. It contains hoards of great information.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...?products_id=5

For PWS that is the greatest thing you can add to your boat. I have only been using 2 years and its already dog eared and well worn on a few pages. Its amazing the places you can find if you sit and read it each night planning the next days adventure. You enter a cove or bay knowing what to expect and how to enter.

Congrats on the new boat.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I echo the cruising guide is a must. It is great in the winter too when your sitting around thinking of new places to try the next summer. I am starting to really get the itch! God willing 75 days I will be on the water!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Ya I have had the guide since last year, a buddy gave it to me as a gift. It is awesome, I was also able to reserve a cabin for extra family members in July. I can't wait....Pick up my boat Wednesday, it's make the weekend go by slow.....

Now u need to look around and pick up a smaller keni boat since u live very close and can follow the runs/closures first hand. Every Alaska family needs at least 2 boats. Bud
    Wasilla

Been there...done that!! The wife and I had a 20' inboard jet boat. We went out of Whittier once, then decided we needed to sell the jet boat and buy an ocean boat. You will love your experiences in PWS!!

Enjoy the new boat!!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

I will have autographed copies of the Cruising Guide at the potbarn and at all the shows this spring, stop by and say hello.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692