Thread: This should be fun

Default This should be fun

I've long read about casting hollow point bullets, but figured man that has got to be a big PITA. Then I started hanging out at castboolits and read about MiHec that makes brass cramer style molds and started rethinking them. Furthermore I saw a used like new mold in their classifieds and bit

It's a .359" ~160 gr and after having cast several hundred and shot most of them up, I'm sold on the molds. The bullet is very accurate out of my 357.

The fun part is a group buy mold I'd forgetten about and was recently sent a bill for.

Get this .477", 410 gr hp. Should be just the ticket out of my 480

As he's in Eastern Europe it's probably a couple weeks out.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Default HP / HB molds...

I've been casting hollow point and hollow base for decades with Lyman molds but never shot anything with them - I mainly loaded them in pistols for defensive loads.

The selection of molds from Lyman is limited and they are all single cavity. They are bit of pain to use, having to remove the pin every time but they aren't too bad if you have a good mold. Bullet alloy should be important depending on what you want the bullet to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've long read about casting hollow point bullets, but figured man that has got to be a big PITA. Then I started hanging out at castboolits and read about MiHec that makes brass cramer style molds and started rethinking them. Furthermore I saw a used like new mold in their classifieds and bit

It's a .359" ~160 gr and after having cast several hundred and shot most of them up, I'm sold on the molds. The bullet is very accurate out of my 357.

The fun part is a group buy mold I'd forgetten about and was recently sent a bill for.

Get this .477", 410 gr hp. Should be just the ticket out of my 480

As he's in Eastern Europe it's probably a couple weeks out.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Nice! Have you ever cast with a brass mould? I haven't.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Yup, I've cast with aluminum, brass, cast iron and steel. Cast iron is my favorite material, brass my least favorite. The thing with brass is it seems to be the most critical of temperature. If the mold is too cold or too hot the bullets are no good and the sweet spot seems to be pretty narrow. But, I found with the 357 Mihec mold once you get it up to temp and a cadence going you can produce bullets pretty much just as fast as a good 2 cavity conventional mold. Every mold is a rule unto itself and it just takes some time to find the temp and cadence needed to produce good bullets cast after cast.

These are two 480 molds I'm currently using the most, both from mountain molds. An aluminum 275 gr swc keith style, and a 400 gr XLFN gc in brass. Buddy had the 400gr mold made and I ended up trading him for it, if I'd had it made I would have gone with aluminum.

But back to MiHec, his machining is amazing, the mold is truly a work of art and casts as good as it looks.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Awesome. I've been hanging out over at CB too lately, but obviously missed that in the ads. Looks like a great bullet.

Ive been wanting to try one of the MiHecs for a while because of the glowing reviews they get over there. I am a little leary though as I have an original cast iron Cramer with one hollowpoint cavity and no amount of alloy changes or pin preheating will allow the bullets to fall off the pin. They have to be twisted off with a gloved hand. I would hate to spend the dough for a new mould only to run into the same issue. I guess it is probably something I'm doing wrong as I know lots of people make lots of HPs with no trouble.

The only MiHec mold I have is the 357 mold and I've been surprised at how easy it is to cast hollowpoints. Like any mold, there is a learning curve. But basically after the sprue hardens, cut off the sprue, invert the mold and open it then push the bar to slide the pins. Most often the bullets drop right off, or you might need a light tap. I have both the round and penta pins, they both seem to cast equally well.

The only dissapointment was when I flipped the pins around to make a flatpoint bullet, the bullets are extremely difficult to remove. Others on CB say this is typical, so if you're mostly interested in the non hp configuration of a mold, bet a dedicated fp mold.

I'd figured shipping from Slovenia would take a long time, but not as long as I thought. Mold came yesterday.

Gotta love all the goodies you get short hp pins, long hp pins, flat pins, nose punch for the sizer die and allen wrenches, forgot to include the small bottle of lube for the moving parts.

The pics don't do justice for the quality of the machine work.

Unfortunately my work bench is a mess and I need to finish rebuilding my chainsaw before I get in a casting session.

Default thanks..

Great looking molds- thanks for the pictures!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of some of the bullets!

I'd figured shipping from Slovenia would take a long time, but not as long as I thought. Mold came yesterday.

Gotta love all the goodies you get short hp pins, long hp pins, flat pins, nose punch for the sizer die and allen wrenches, forgot to include the small bottle of lube for the moving parts.

The pics don't do justice for the quality of the machine work.

Unfortunately my work bench is a mess and I need to finish rebuilding my chainsaw before I get in a casting session.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Finally got in a short casting session. I need to get in a longer session as just when I started getting the mold hot enough and was getting the hang of casting it I was detained. On the up side the mold produces wonderful bullets and they pretty much drop right out. The downside is getting the temp just right will be tricky as it seemed when I was hot enough to produce complete fillout the bullets would be damaged when dropping them from the mold, and when I let the mold cool longer so the bullets wouldn't get damaged I'd no longer get proper fillout. I'm sure once I figure out the proper lead temp and cadence all will be well.

Comparing the 400 gr .476" hp and 480 round to a 45 acp and 357 mag put things in perspective.

...s it seemed when I was hot enough to produce complete fillout the bullets would be damaged when dropping them from the mold....
    If you don't mind a little hardening action, just drop them into a bucket of water. If that's not right for you, I have good luck dropping bullets onto an old towel that's been folded a few times, then laid over a sheet of egg crate foam.

The bullets are actually getting damaged as they drop from the mold, part of the base is being sheared off. Also for hollow points I don't want to harden them. I'm sure I'll figure out the mold with another session or two.