Thread: Charter advise for lingcod and halibut

Default Charter advise for lingcod and halibut

I will be in Alaska this summer and would like to fish Halibut and Lingcod. I fished Homer and was very sucsessful, however I would like to find a place to fish without as much tide and where you do not have to travel so long. Any suggestions as to an area with a 2 halibut limit good ling cod and fishing waters more protected?

Thanks for the help!!

Crackerjack and pro fish-n-sea out of seward are premier charters.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

You aren't going to find anything without a long boat ride unless you fly or ferry into Kodiac or maybe Cordova. Seward heads to the same places as Valdez and Whittier. And Seward charters also sometimes head toward homer. Sometimes the seward towards homer rides are a little shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingdiago View Post
    I will be in Alaska this summer and would like to fish Halibut and Lingcod. I fished Homer and was very sucsessful, however I would like to find a place to fish without as much tide and where you do not have to travel so long. Any suggestions as to an area with a 2 halibut limit good ling cod and fishing waters more protected?

Thanks for the help!!
    Long range trips are it unless you're willing to go off the road system and fly to a remote place like Bullelkklr said.

I would look at the tide charts for the areas you fished last year. Find a low tide day and book your fishing trips on those days.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Kodiak is the only place that's going to meet all your criteria, or maybe I should say come the closest.
    you could go out of Homer, just check the tides before you book. If you are unable to check the tides, just stay away from a full moon.!

Thanks for the help!!
    I'm just curious what you mean by "not have to travel so long." Do you mean travel to get to where you fish out of, or travel from port to the fishing grounds? If you go out of Seward OR Homer you're probably going to have to travel about the same distance from port to get to ling territory. AND you're going to find the tidal swings about the same. Though tidal swing shouldn't matter because a good captain should be able to get you on fish without much trouble whether it's a big tide swing day, or small. If you are concerned about the tides then just do what everyone else says---choose to go out when the tide swing is the smallest.

And you're probably not going to find very "protected waters" to fish in for lings just about anywhere. Lings tend to hang out in areas where the waters aren't what most people call protected. If you go out of Seward or Homer you have to leave the protected waters of their respective bays to get to where the legal lings like to hang out. I don't know about Kodiak having never fished there, but I have a feeling it would be about the same story.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanks for the help!!
    Unfortunately trying to combine a short boat trip, protected waters and a 2 halibut limit is impossible in Alaska.

There simply isn't any good lingcod fishing in protected or semi protected waters with a short boat ride unless you go to SouthEaast, and then you loose your 2 fish limit. I'd say the best lingcod fishing is going to be in waters that aren't protected because the moving water brings in more nutrients, hence more bait fish, hence more bottom fish. Honestly I'd say it would be worth giving up the second but for the amazing combo trips down in Southeast.

Kodiak will be close to your criteria, except you'll be in the gulf of Alaska, but good fishing can be found fairly close to port and the limits will allow you to catch alot of fish.

Seward has good fishing, but a long ride and once you leave the mouth of Resserection bay you're in the Gulf of Alaska, and the swells from the gulf hit you well before you leave the bay.

Whittier is the most protected waters, but the longest boat ride, albeit IMHO one of the most beautiful.

IMHO on the road system Seward is the best in terms of fishing, though I haven't fished out of Valdez but have fished some of the same water charters hit when leaving out of Whittier.

With all that said, I'd say the most important thing is who you head out with more than where you head out of. There are top notch guides in every port, mediocre guides, and guides that don't even deserve to be paid for fuel let alone paid for guiding.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The ride can be the best part as long as you are on a boat that is big and can handle the weather fast is good too. Best of luck

I was into Lings in Kodiak in about a 45 min ride, however the size did not compare to what I've caught out of Seward or Homer. If size is important Kodiak is probably not your place. I did not go out until Sept, so maybe the biggins had been picked out.

Charterboat Operator

Chignik!! look up some charters there!! Every thing is closer!! You can fly in or Ferry. Castle Cape is a half hour boat ride away and great jigging!!! And so many other areas.. Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    I was into Lings in Kodiak in about a 45 min ride, however the size did not compare to what I've caught out of Seward or Homer. If size is important Kodiak is probably not your place. I did not go out until Sept, so maybe the biggins had been picked out.

Seems atypicial as a buddy used to run a charter out of Kodiak and he would regularly take 50+# lingcod.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for the excellent guidance! Are the fish limits for lingcod and halibut more in Kodiak?

Also if I forgo the 2 halibut limit and fish SE Alaska what port would you recomend.

Thanks Again!

Thanks for the excellent guidance! Are the fish limits for lingcod and halibut more in Kodiak?

Also if I forgo the 2 halibut limit and fish SE Alaska what port would you recomend.

Thanks Again!
    Out of Kodiak the limits are the same as Homer---2 lings and 2 halibut. Here's a link to the regs: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...KODregbook.pdf

Can't help you on the SE question, though I believe you'll not only be limited to just one halibut per day, but also just one ling per day. And I believe in most of SE a non-resident is limited to a total of just 2 lings. And there are weird size restrictions in some areas down there, too, I believe. But don't take my word on that. Please check the regulations for yourself right here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re.../SEregbook.pdf.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanks Again!
    Elfin Cove Lodge, Elfin Cove Alaska! You can fish area 2C and or 3A so you have the same limit as up here and great fishing a short ride from the lodge. I did a lot of fishing around that area when I was in the Coast Guard. Just north of Elfin Cove is where I landed the biggest halibut I ever put on a boat 397lbs. I must say I would have let it go, but the guy with me harpooned it