Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best trapping snowmachine?

Default Best trapping snowmachine?

In your opinion what is the best trapping snowmachine?

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra2 View Post
    In your opinion what is the best trapping snowmachine?
    2005 model year and earlier Tundra II, no question.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I agree with IOTaiga. Only thing better would be with a set of Lunds with Maki bindings strapped to the back.

But something tells me this is a rhetorical question based on your "nom de plume"..LOL

ya i have a 97 tundra2.
    i got it last summer so i havent riden it much but it seems to do good

what ever machine gets me from point a to point b without any problems.

Default Best trapping snowmachine?

Skandic wide track is hard to beat

Newer Tundra 550F or if you like Bearcats.

I know guys that trap on anything they can find. They just keep the trails packed all the time. Short tracks, widetracks, fan, liquid it doesn't matter to them. I need to find the pic of the nastiest snowmachine that I ever saw, that ran. Covered in traps, boxes, broken everything.....
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Hahaha, I bet it's a pic of Trapper Brads machine, eh Mike?

I think it all depends on each individual trappers situation....The best machine for trapping up in the mountains with deep snow may not be the best machine for trapping in the flatter country with less snow and vice versa. I find that so far a Tundra R has worked well for me and the the conditions I encounter on my trapline. However, if given the chance I'd absolutely love to get a Skandic 440 LT. For my situation and area I'm pretty convinced it would be just about perfect for what I do. Too bad it almost impossible to find one for sale these days. It seems the folks who have those machines don't get rid of them until they are completely used up and worn out.

i have heard good things about bravos

Polaris 550 trails are pretty versatile sleds, air cooled so you don't have to worry too much about snow level. Really easy machines to maintain, light enough to pick up when you get them stuck. Sort of a jack of all trades machine to me.

I love the Skandic 440LT and the older Tundra 2's. Not too much you can't do trapping or calling-wise with them. Of course, a good powder sled would be handy at times too.

There's no such thing as no machine is perfect for all conditions, the conditions and terrain will dictate what your needs are in a snogo as well as trapping " Style "
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    There's no such thing as no machine is perfect for all conditions, the conditions and terrain will dictate what your needs are in a snogo as well as trapping " Style "
    X2 I have had a host of them over the years from Olympics, to skandics, Rmk's, Tundra's and more and now have the Expedition with the 600 ACE. No pefect machine for all conditions and every line everyone deals with different good and poor conditions. For me the best one has been the Skandic Sport but with almost 1000 miles on the Expedition I am feeling it is going to be the new favorite especially when paying $6.84 for gas and getting 20+ MPG. I run a lot of flat ice covered tundra so getting stuck is seldom a problem but lack of snow is my biggest challenge. With the fan and radiator I have yet to come close to overheating the thing
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I have heard VERY good things about the new expeditions. Im still on the fence with the 600 ACE but 20 mpg is WAY better than I have ever got with rmk's, tundra's or any bravo. Throw that 20 inch wide track and a huge cargo area thats made to haul frozen marten home. The only bad thing is the price of any new machine. Takes alot of marten to pay for that and your gas to keep trapping!
    Otterman you have any trouble in the cold with that ACE?

roamak if you want the wide track in the expedition it is going to come with the etch motor not the ACE. The Ace is only in the Expedition Sport reg track 15 or 16 wide I forget and 154 long
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Hahaha, I bet it's a pic of Trapper Brads machine, eh Mike?
    Hippie Petes..... never saw a machine so beat up that runs..... ever!!!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

The 600 ACE is available in several models. Any of the new tundra's can be had with the ACE.
    Man that exp sport is pretty big for the interior. Was looking at the 136 track tundra. Narrow ski stance. Wouldn't mind trying one of those out.
    Tundras and bravos are both pretty good for the trapline.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

For me all my lines are busted out with old polaris machines so the narrow ski wont matter here. What is starting to be the biggest issue is gas. The longest line is 3 days of old cat trails and river running. Packing fuel is a pain. Usually its a drum on a sled that will last a while. The 136 track has got me into more trouble than I could have ever imagined. Will never go back to it. I do like the huge cargo area on the tundras just like the expedition tho. Wish the tundras had a option for the non pogo front end with a better ski stance. Bravos are ok if your not running long every day. After the first 100 miles with another 100 to go home I will never use another one again. My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by roamak View Post
    For me all my lines are busted out with old polaris machines so the narrow ski wont matter here. What is starting to be the biggest issue is gas. The longest line is 3 days of old cat trails and river running. Packing fuel is a pain. Usually its a drum on a sled that will last a while. The 136 track has got me into more trouble than I could have ever imagined. Will never go back to it. I do like the huge cargo area on the tundras just like the expedition tho. Wish the tundras had a option for the non pogo front end with a better ski stance. Bravos are ok if your not running long every day. After the first 100 miles with another 100 to go home I will never use another one again. My opinion.
    I'm starting to think the new Tundras should have a wider ski stance. There is a kit that I may buy.
    Bill Hicks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast