Thread: Anyone cook your own dog food?

Default Anyone cook your own dog food?

Just curious.

I just finished canning up a couple dozen pint jars of "dog stew" made of some really old beef steak meat that was diced and slow cooked overnight in low sodium beef broth with a bunch of diced carrots and potato with some brown rice, peas and green beans added in at the end. Pretty much the same list of ingredients from the back of the $2 a can Science Diet stuff. Sure beats taking old meat from the bottom of the freezer to the dump. Also found a really old bag of freezer burnt chicken breasts, so I'll do something similar with that next month.

Oh, and I feed dry food as the "main course" but always add about 1/3 cup of canned food and some warm water to "gravy it up". People tell me that my dogs eat better than people. But my answer is, "so what?"
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

AniWahaya

Yep. My dog really likes eggs and bacon, stews (no corn), and whatever other meat products I can whip up or add to his dry dog food. I give him fish on occasion too, it's good for his coat. In camp we usually share a plate lol so he eats fairly well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure, eggs are good for them, so is a little piece of liver (1oz or so) on a regular basis.
    Heck my dog eats everthing we do, anthing that is harvested & sometimes purchased... Salmon & rice, venison burger & rice, duck or grouse, chicken , pork, etc... you name it. She is getting a little more picky with the vegetables & will leave most peas & carrots now. Like you said they are spoiled, but there are numerous diets that show many raw foods & cooked foods ( without bones) are good for them.

I freeze all my moose trim... cook it up, and feed my lab 1/3 bowl trim, and the rest cubes.. freezer burnt salmon same thing.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I make her a fried egg topped with Canadian bacon and a slice of cheese every morning. She's a lucky girl!!!

Great idea, someone want to teach me how to can? lol

Straight blue buffalo, unless there's an upset stomach, then it's ground meat and rice. Of course there are pupperonies and bones, but there is a clear delineation between people food and pup food (or so I tell my wife). Mostly about keeping the begging to a minimum. If there is people food as a treat, it goes in the bowl.

The only exception are ice cubes, which are the original zero calorie snack. And my pooch will snap awake and run downstairs when that ice tray pops

That said, I like the idea of canning game and fish scraps as dog food. May need to look into it once I get my canner up and running

I don't can it, but we grind all our deer trim and freeze it in 3-4 pound balls that fit in a pot. Throw a ball of "dog grind" into a pot with some rice and water and cook. We feed our dogs twice a day and feed the trim and rice once a day until it is used up. We try not to throw anything out that we can feed to the dogs, and throw it all in the pot for them (things like stale bread, old pasta).

yes, all the the scraps from cutting up a moose and caribou have been marked: Dog food in the freezer. I usually cook it with brown rice. I had 9 malamute/pyrenees pups to feed over the last few weeks, so really helps with food costs.

In the spring, I catch 30 gallons of hooligan as a source of dog food. You can cook them up whole with brown rice. I eat em too.

Tutka Bay snaggers are constantly throwing back pinks; during high pink runs, you're always snagging fish with big chunks tore out of their sides or mangled fins. I keep 'em and feed the mutts.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Yep, canning old salmon for the dogs is another great salvage for "freezer burnt" fish. In fact, mom was just telling me the other day that she was going through her freezer and found several packages of salmon that is at least 2 years old and has visible freezer burn (they still use the freezer paper over saran wrap method). Of course, I had her put it all in a bag and set aside for the dogs. Just thaw it out, trim off the worst of the freezer burn and then cut it up and can it. Leave the skin and bones in place as it all becomes edible for the dogs after running through a canning cycle. The skin has lots of good fish oil in it and the bones soften up so they are not dangerous for consumption, plus they are a good source of calcium.

I can it for longevity, allowing me to run a large batch of food at once. I can fill up 2 crock pots with low sodium broth and diced up meat and then fill them the rest of the way with fresh carrots, potatoes, peas, and such just like making a stew, but without any seasonings. Let it slow cook overnight and then pack a few ziploc tubs for the fridge to get through the next few days and put the rest into pint jars and can it to last for the next month or so.

As to the veggies, for whatever reason, my dogs love em. They'll even eat raw carrots as treats, and they've yet to turn their nose up to any vegetable. Of course, anything from the pepper or onion families are off limits. Supposedly, pepper and onion contains stuff that is nearly as toxic to a dog as chocolate.

Several years ago when dealing with my dog who had cancer, I picked up a book on helping a dog fight cancer. The diet recommended in there included raw meats with broccoli, kale, celery, carrots, tomatoes, eggs, tofu, flax, and fish oils. Though they recommended a raw mix of these, for ease in long-term preparation, I chose to cook and can something similar. Not too long after that, I found it interesting to see that the number of commercial offerings of "real" food in a stew-like mix either canned or in refrigerated packages started popping up all over the place. I did a lot of label reading on dry dog foods and left behind the days of cheap, corn and wheat based kibble.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Yeah I suppose rather than take your excess and freezer burnt dipnet fish to the dump you could always can them up for dogfood.
    My friend was canning salmon the other year and canned up a few scraps including backbones and such for dogfood.
    a few days later his dad stopped by and was waiting on him to return from the store.
    While he waited his dad decided to help himself to a jar of fish.
    When frank got home his dad was commenting on how bony and full of skin his canned salmon was. Guess they had a good laugh when his dad found out what he was eating.
    Make sure you properly label the canned dogfood.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"