Thread: Ever bend your pot puller davit?

Default Ever bend your pot puller davit?

I'm looking at an EZ Puller. 2.3 HP, 160 fpm, 200-lb capacity. It comes with a Schedule 80, 1.5-inch aluminum davit. Optional is a Schedule 80, 2-inch aluminum davit. Even though the 1.5" davit is shown as coming with the 2.3 HP model, I'm told by the manufacturer that I'd need the 2-inch davit because the 1.5-inch one would likely bend. But even Safe-T-Hauler's light commercial puller, rated for 300 pounds, shows that only a Schedule 40 aluminum davit comes with the Safe-T-Hauler.

So I'm wondering if I really need the 2-inch davit. The only reason I might not get the 2-inch one is because already the base plate for the 1.5-inch davit will barely fit where it needs to go on the deck. Ever bent your pot puller davit? Think 2 inches for a davit is necessary?

And no, Steve, I'm not ordering an Electra Dyne

I haven't but I have an ACE line hauler.
    A friend has the light commercial Safe T Hauler and he got his pot line in his Prop while pulling one day. I believe he was idling while pulling for some reason. He bent his davit. Guess it happened so fast he couldn't react fast enough
    I believe he got it fixed rather easily though. So yes it can and has happened.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've heard of schedule 40 davits bending, which is why most safe-t-puller dealers up here sell the upgraded shedule 80 2" davits.

With my boat I'd probably be taking on water before I bend the davit, so perhaps there is something to be said for a weeker davit for some boats. But the foot control is pretty slick for shutting off the puller right now if something starts going wrong.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've heard of schedule 40 davits bending, which is why most safe-t-puller dealers up here sell the upgraded shedule 80 2" davits.

With my boat I'd probably be taking on water before I bend the davit, so perhaps there is something to be said for a weeker davit for some boats. But the foot control is pretty slick for shutting off the puller right now if something starts going wrong.
    I hadn't seen 80 2 inch as a safety puller option, but makes sense.

Yes, I have bent a schedule 40 puller pipe many years ago.

Admittidly I was out of Whittier, pulling a 5 pot set plus two weights against the wind.

We learned quickly that we need someone at the helm backing down the boat to keep the loads lighter.

I'd opt for the heavier puller.

I've used the ez pullers on several boats and have never had an issue.

They draw allot of current so you'll be best served to use very heavy wire. Many people use #6 but that can be too light. The problem is that under heavy load the current through the wire will cause a voltage drop lowering the voltage. This and the load slows the motor more and that causes even more current, which can blow the breaker.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I bent my Ace two years ago. We were pulling strings of two pots in a howling wind and couldn't stay on top of them, we ended up dragging them a long ways. I called Ace and told them what happened and they replaced it free of charge. They even Fed-Ex'd the new one to me on their dime and I sent the bent one back on their return shipping label. There's a lot to be said for a company with that level of customer service these days.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I'm looking at an EZ Puller. 2.3 HP, 160 fpm, 200-lb capacity. It comes with a Schedule 80, 1.5-inch aluminum davit. Optional is a Schedule 80, 2-inch aluminum davit. Even though the 1.5" davit is shown as coming with the 2.3 HP model, I'm told by the manufacturer that I'd need the 2-inch davit because the 1.5-inch one would likely bend. But even Safe-T-Hauler's light commercial puller, rated for 300 pounds, shows that only a Schedule 40 aluminum davit comes with the Safe-T-Hauler.

So I'm wondering if I really need the 2-inch davit. The only reason I might not get the 2-inch one is because already the base plate for the 1.5-inch davit will barely fit where it needs to go on the deck. Ever bent your pot puller davit? Think 2 inches for a davit is necessary?

And no, Steve, I'm not ordering an Electra Dyne
    We used to hammer in rebar or steel rods in our lobster davits back home, sort of like a laminated beam when your done. Maybe take some shafting that will fit/slide inside the davit that comes with your hauler and just beef it up a bit.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

What Steve said. The weak part is where it meets the base or gunnel where the maximum moment is created, it's not in the bend. Something inside the pipe at that point would beef it up and it's straight pipe so pipe in pipe might work too.

Skydiver,

Here is simple, hard-won advice:

-Yes, you can bend a fine-looking piece of 2.5" Aluminum pipe right in half like a flexi-straw. No problem...I've done it!
    -Get the largest reasonable davit diameter that you can fit.
    -Get the shortest working arm to clear pots from the side of the boat.
    -Don't rely on foot switches as the sole means of shutting down your puller. You will risk corrosion...eventually. The puller should be wired into an accessory panel like every other peripheral requiring electricity.
    -Don't ignore the good common sense to put short-circuit, thermal and overload protection on that puller's circuit.
    -Heat-shrink end connectors, use the heaviest recommended gauge wiring for the round-trip length of your installation, protect wiring with split wire loom, and spray end connections with Boeshield T-9 or a coating of dielectric grease under terminal end-caps.

IceKing02

I've bent mine on a bad pull against the wind with the rope hung on bottom. Of course I had the boat pulled over on it's side. When it came loose all hell broke loose and I ended up with my pipe bent right at the gunnel like others have said. Where the maximum moment is created. (I like that) Anyway thats where mine bent. Where Fish Witch said.
    I have a saf-t hauler and it's 1 1/2" pipe I believe. I also know it's schedule 80. I went down to Alaska Steel and bought a piece of pipe and made some extras,,, replaced the bent one and keep one on the boat for a back up if I ever bend one again. So when you get yours 1 1/2 " pipe is ok, get schedule 80 and make an extra,,,you may never need it but if you do you got it. It was only 20 or 25 bucks and you can make one long or short to see what height you like to pull at. If it's to long cut it down some.

I cut mine twice and it was still to short.

Bye the way,,,I love my Saf-T-Hauler go down to Donaldson's and look at them you wont be sorry. I've used a bunch of pot pullers in my day to say that also. You can kind a see mine in my avitar.

I installed one of these breakers on my bulkhead so I can cut the power to puller right by the davit

I think mines a 60 amp, whatever the overload device that comes with the safe-t-puller is rated at that's what I used.

I also installed one of these quick disconnects to I can remove and stow the puller and don't have to deal with the wing nuts that are used to connect the wires to the motor.

I just might might increase the size of my wires as I did have some windblown pulls where the puller was getting hot.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Pros and cons for the Safe-T-Hauler and EZ-Pull, 200-lb capacity models: Safe-T-Hauler can be purchased locally and has a good rep, but retrieval rate is only 100-110 fpm. On/off using a foot switch that you have to keep standing on to keep the puller running. Foot switch would be safer since you have to tend the puller constantly as the line is coming in (and stops if you get knocked off your feet). EZ-Pull retrieval rate is 160 fpm and HP is 2.3 instead of 1.6 for Safe-T-Hauler. I like that the on/off switch is on the puller and wouldn't have to take your eyes off the line to look for a foot switch. I've used the EZ-Pull and like it. Can't buy it locally and closest place to buy is SE AK with shipping about $100.

Some of the comments I have about both pullers are from experience, and some are assumptions. Let me know from your experience what you think.

I don't know that I'd want anything faster than 100-110 fpm, you can only coil line so fast into your tub and I find the stp is about as fast as I can handle. I haven't found the foot switch to be a problem, it's an air switch and takes very little force. I run 3 pots on one line and 2 on the other. Seems to yield better than on 5 on one line even when dropped close together and really not that much more work than pulling all 5 on one line. I have 6 pounds of lead on the bottom pot of the string and 3 pounds in the other pots. Seems to be plenty of power to pull them, even if I'm getting dragged by the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    EZ-Pull retrieval rate is 160 fpm and HP is 2.3 instead of 1.6 for Safe-T-Hauler.
    You can also purchase the light commercial Safe-T-Puller (2.1 hp) that is rated at 300 lbs. and is a little bit faster.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I don't know that I'd want anything faster than 100-110 fpm, you can only coil line so fast into your tub and I find the stp is about as fast as I can handle. I haven't found the foot switch to be a problem, it's an air switch and takes very little force. I run 3 pots on one line and 2 on the other. Seems to yield better than on 5 on one line even when dropped close together and really not that much more work than pulling all 5 on one line. I have 6 pounds of lead on the bottom pot of the string and 3 pounds in the other pots. Seems to be plenty of power to pull them, even if I'm getting dragged by the wind.
    My only hesitation with getting a puller that's around 100 or so fpm is that 100 fpm is what the Ace is rated for (if pulling only 1 pot) and it's the slowness of the Ace that's causing me to look for something better. But my guess is that if the Safe-T-Hauler or similar pullers say 100 fpm, that's probably what you get. I seriously doubt that I get anywhere near 100 fpm on my Ace when pulling 3 pots. The 160 fpm shouldn't be a problem for me because if I'm getting ready to re-set my pots, the line just goes on the deck with no coiling. And if I'm putting the line away, it just gets fed into a large trash bag without coiling. Never had a problem with tangles that way, and it's easy to do. Good to hear that the foot switch is not an issue.

I have also bent my davit and the key theme I am hearing is that the wind, waves, current, weather etc is always an issue with a bent davit. Who bends a davit on a flat calm day?? Mother nature plays a big part I believe. So when mother nature starts pushing me around, I get the boat positioned so that the line is as straight up and down as possible. Be carefully....It can be kinda dicey at times.

I used an ace before buying my safe-t-puller so I understand where you are coming from. While the ace may be rated at 100 fpm no load, start pulling pots and it slows way down. I haven't noticed my 200# 1.6hp safe-t-puller to slow down to any extent when pulling 3 pots full of shrimp and 12#'s of lead. I'm sure it slows down some, but it's still pretty quick. Let's say you're doing a 600' pull, that's 6 minutes for the sage-t, and under 4 minutes for the EZ pull.

I'm sure you'd happy with either unit.

Paul - I'm sure you're right. Either unit would be good. Having had the Ace puller before and now the Safe-T-Puller, is it night-and-day difference between the speeds?

To me it seems like night and day. With the ace I was reminded of the old Wendy's commercial, "wheres the beef?" With the safe-t I have to make sure I'm not day dreaming or the line starts piling up. I've only had the safe-t for two seasons and really haven't had a chance to wring it out over the long haul, but so far it's been a buy once cry once experience. I'd lost my pots hand pulling the previous season so it was safe-t-puller, two shots of line, bouyes, five ladner pots, misc stuff and while I was there 100 fathoms of rode so a pretty serious expenditure.