Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: halibut limits?

Default halibut limits?

any one herd what the guided limit for halibut is going to be this summer.has it been desided yet. i guess its the same as last year untill they deside.

No change for this year. 2 per person.

I've heard from a reliable source that ADF&G will probably announce an EO before long of a 2 fish daily limit, 1 must be under 32".

That sounds like a fair compromise.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

How can the State impose a ruling on halibut, which are federally managed?
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I may have it wrong, might not be state but the feds, either way, don't be suprised if this is announced soon.

Default size limit

size limit for halibut would be only in south east.at least for this season

If the state issues an EO it's to regulate sport fishermen. The feds control the commercial fisheries. [Long political rant omitted.]

The 1 under 32" is the current proposal being considered by NMFS as a temporary measure to reduce catch by sportsmen. ADF&G usually tries to pacify NMFS with statewide EOs so that more stringent regulation isn't necessary.

When this whole debate blew up again last year, all I heard was long liners criticizing lodges and charters for bringing in loads of "ping pong paddles"... now the powers that be are planning to REQUIRE smaller fish be taken... talk about hypocritical!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Long Liners

I watched a load being lifted up to Peter Pan foods the other day. I did not see one in the net that was bigger than 20-30 pounds.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Just recieved an email from my boss at the resort I'm headed to in a few days,

"By emergency order from the AK Dept. of Fish and Game, the Halibut restrictions have changed for area 2C. Today we were informed by one of the local Troopers that the Halibut restrictions will now be: 2 Halibut a day, 1 any size and 1 must be UNDER 32". This goes for non-residents and guided residents and goes into effect June 1'st. Will post any new changes if any come out."

Considering what it could have been, I'll take this.

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    Just recieved an email from my boss at the resort I'm headed to in a few days,

"By emergency order from the AK Dept. of Fish and Game, the Halibut restrictions have changed for area 2C. Today we were informed by one of the local Troopers that the Halibut restrictions will now be: 2 Halibut a day, 1 any size and 1 must be UNDER 32". This goes for non-residents and guided residents and goes into effect June 1'st. Will post any new changes if any come out."
    You have a mis-informed lodge owner and/or State Trooper. There is no such regulation in effect as of 6:00 am today (June 1)... Nothing posted on ADF&G's site, no word of it from F&G directly, and a limit such as this (limitation rather than liberalization) would require more advance notice than 1 day.

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    Considering what it could have been, I'll take this.
    I don't like it one bit. When this all blew up (the recent time, this winter) All I heard from commercial folks was how lodges and charters take so many "ping pong paddles" that haven't even had a chance to live and add to the stock. Now that the IPHC's proposal has been thrown out, an under 32" restriction is the best they can come up with? Seems hypocritical when compared with the original complaint.
    The fact is, commercial interests waste more in mortal by-catch than you and I (as sportsmen) could possibly harvest in a season. If the problem is that there aren't enough halibut to go around, look at the big users and big wasters of the resource, not the little guy.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The did change to rules to where the captain and deck hands are not allowed to fish. Or so I have been told, we I asked a charter captain last week about this he said that they were going to take away something and he said he would rather see it where he can not fish than the 1 a day limit.

the guide alredy cant fish that rule has been in the books for a few years.i would like too see one over and one under 32 in.

Imposing a size limit should have a biological rationale, and I'm not sure there is one to keeping fish under 32". It might make more sense to use a slot limit, say 36" to 58" - preserving the stocks for tomorrow (the smaller fish) and the mature hens (the largest fish).

But placing limitations on the smaller consumers of the resource is not going to have much of an impact . . . it's another BS political call mollifying the commercial users who waste more than the total sportcatch every year.

SH

Not sure why a trooper would give bogus info??? as for the limit, considering they were trying to make it a 1 fish limit, I'm not going to complain about this.

Man I've seen NMFS enforcement give out bad info. It all depends on how much they feel like saying. I've found when I say to much I say very little. Some folks for some reasons don't like saying ummmm I don't know, but I'll find out for you.

PS. I havent' seen any such reg, but havent' looked either!

Sierra, I'm not a halibtu bio, but I think it is a bio issue. Females are the very large ones, and aren't caught as often as the smaller meter long butts. These meter long ones are mainly males. One female can "lay" over 100,000 eggs, but males must be present to help out. I think the slot limit would hurt the male halibut population.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Sierra, I'm not a halibtu bio, but I think it is a bio issue. Females are the very large ones, and aren't caught as often as the smaller meter long butts. These meter long ones are mainly males. One female can "lay" over 100,000 eggs, but males must be present to help out. I think the slot limit would hurt the male halibut population.
    If we're so concerned about halibut as a species, why are we even THINKING about imposing additional limitation on the user group who uses the least? Trying to reduce the sport-sector's 7 to 9 million pounds any further seems like a total BS waste of effort when we're talking about hundreds of millions of pounds overall.

Oh well. I promised my wife that my blood pressure and I would take a break from this nearly time-less debate. If the politicians want to take away my right to fish halibut, I'll just have to find a few other new fisheries to support my business... shark, sturgeon or sable fish anyone? ;-)

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Sorry

Hey cancan, I was not saying this whole thing is about biology. Just that the slot limit MIGHT be. This entire thing is political and driven by money. I'm on both sides of the fence on this one though. I support the charter guys, but something needs to be done. Limiting licenses seems to be the right thing to do. It's to bad that the charters are being forced into a management scheme (when years ago something could have been done, but wasn't.)

Commercial interests are trying to protect what they have, just like charter boats. It is not a biolgicial issue as far as they fish are in trouble. This thing is about Quota allocation.

Also CanCan I really doubt you'll ever be prohibeted against fishing for butts. I guess it depends on when you entered the fishery, but that is what it is. I hope you have a GREAT year though! And I hope you can fish for Halibut for the rest of they time you care to! I really do.

Its not a biological issue, its a GHL issue. The GHL is based upon pounds of fish, not numbers of fish. The charter industry has been exceeding the GHL, so the size limit is one option to reduce the pounds of fish harvested by that industry. Although this option has been seriously considered and will probably occur in 2C, at this time no changes have been implemented other than the EO for both 3A & 2C which prohibits the retention of fish by skipper and crew when paying clients are onboard and limiting the number of lines to the number of paying clients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast