Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: What Vacuum Packer do you have?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    20

    Default What Vacuum Packer do you have?

    Tell us what vacuum packer you have and why you like it.

  2. #2
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Minipack-Torre

    Because it's the best.

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Minipack-Torre

    Because it's the best.
    ^^ What he said. Once one goes with a professional grade machine, there is simply no turning back. It has paid for itself many times over.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    I've got the Cabelas commercial grade vacuum sealer. (CG-15) which it seems they don't make anymore.....hmmm.

    Anyhoo, It does a great job for what it is, is more finicky than the chamber style sealers mentioned by Brian and KTN but it's what I got. What I like about it is I can still customize the size of my bags, can re seal bags if it is something I need to reseal (bulk nuts or cereal for instance), and it works, all the time. Has never given me a hiccup since getting it in 2006 and this thing has been through everything from moose,caribou and salmon in bristol bay to lots of deer and halibut in Juneau. It's the best "sucker" type of vacuum sealer I've ever used, but it's still a sucker....so, it won't push the air bubbles out of a salmon fillet or moose roast without a little help.

    Another thing I really like is that it can do things like soups or other sloppy things on manual mode.....you cannot do that with the chamber sealers.....would be very messy. Also can do delicate things like bulk cereals without crushing things.


    When it dies I will be getting one like the minipack. But while it is 85% the machine as the minipack, it is 100% paid for at the moment and could only be sold for 25% what I paid for it.....I"m no mathematician but that I think that means I keep it for now.

    If I was starting out and didn't have one.....I'd save the pennies and get the chamber style. Food Saver's do not hold up to what you do if you are actually successful in harvesting stuff in Alaska, it comes in BIG batches and cruddy equipment poops out quickly. Oh wait, the OP is an AK "BUTCHER"......so he knows this already.....

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I've got the Cabelas commercial grade vacuum sealer. (CG-15) which it seems they don't make anymore.....hmmm.

    Anyhoo, It does a great job for what it is, is more finicky than the chamber style sealers mentioned by Brian and KTN but it's what I got. What I like about it is I can still customize the size of my bags, can re seal bags if it is something I need to reseal (bulk nuts or cereal for instance), and it works, all the time. Has never given me a hiccup since getting it in 2006 and this thing has been through everything from moose,caribou and salmon in bristol bay to lots of deer and halibut in Juneau. It's the best "sucker" type of vacuum sealer I've ever used, but it's still a sucker....so, it won't push the air bubbles out of a salmon fillet or moose roast without a little help.

    Another thing I really like is that it can do things like soups or other sloppy things on manual mode.....you cannot do that with the chamber sealers.....would be very messy. Also can do delicate things like bulk cereals without crushing things.


    When it dies I will be getting one like the minipack. But while it is 85% the machine as the minipack, it is 100% paid for at the moment and could only be sold for 25% what I paid for it.....I"m no mathematician but that I think that means I keep it for now.

    If I was starting out and didn't have one.....I'd save the pennies and get the chamber style. Food Saver's do not hold up to what you do if you are actually successful in harvesting stuff in Alaska, it comes in BIG batches and cruddy equipment poops out quickly. Oh wait, the OP is an AK "BUTCHER"......so he knows this already.....
    My CG 15 is a workhorse when it comes to vacuum sealing fish and game throughout the year. No complaints here.

  6. #6
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Still waiting for my FoodSaver Pro II Turbo to quit (like everyone claims it will). It's been running relentlessly for at least 5 years now. The rolls of bag material are readily available down at Trustworthy Hardware and any grocery store for very cheap. Granted, I take good care of my equipment, but this thing just keeps going and going. I don't think that FS makes any of these twin pump manual models anymore; at least I haven't seen one on the shelves at the store in the last couple years.

    Oh yeah, I still have a really old original FoodSaver out in the shed that still works. It's just really slow and quite small. Wasn't fast enough to do dipnetted quantities of fish, so I went to the Pro II Turbo model.

    If this FS ever does quit running someday, I might upgrade to the Cabela's commercial 15" model, but we'll see.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  7. #7

    Default

    15 year old FoodSaver Vac 750 still does a fine job. I pre freeze wet items before sealing so the blood or juice doesn't foul the vacuum system. I'm thrifty and re-use bags and that is where I get vacuum failures on occasion (small holes).

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Cabelas CG-15. No complaints, does a great job.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    15 year old FoodSaver Vac 750 still does a fine job. I pre freeze wet items before sealing so the blood or juice doesn't foul the vacuum system. I'm thrifty and re-use bags and that is where I get vacuum failures on occasion (small holes).
    I have 2 of these, just as old and still going strong. I alternate between the 2 when processing large quantities so they don't get over cycled.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    I'm a CG-15 guy as well. Really can't beat it for what it is.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  11. #11
    Member idakfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Idaho/Soldotna
    Posts
    224

    Default

    kingfisherktn and Brian: What model of Minipack-torre do you have? I see there are lots to choose from.

  12. #12
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    I recently replaced my old FS sealer with a VacMaster VP112 Chamber Vacuum Sealer. I really like it and for those that don't know you can seal a bag of water if you want to in a chamber sealer.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  13. #13
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    kingfisherktn and Brian: What model of Minipack-torre do you have? I see there are lots to choose from.

    Mine is the MV31.

  14. #14
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    I now have a VP112 VacMaster, which replaced a poorly made model of Food Saver. The VP112 works great for wet items. Since it is a large flat unit with the motor and chamber on the same level rather than a tall unit with the motor on the bottom it is comfortable to use on top of a kitchen counter. It just takes up a huge amount of counter space, and in my small house it is hard to store when not in use.

    As Stid says you can seal a bag of liquid using a vac chamber, but you don't want to get the vacuum too low or the liquid will boil. Watching a bag of chili boil is interesting food "science".

  15. #15

    Default

    I have the Cabela's pro grade as well. For the size and price it can't be beat. After processing 200+ salmon in a single day and doing an entire bear or moose in one setting it holds up fine. Our FS went belly up after a single season of dipnet.

  16. #16
    Member akjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Mini Pac Torre, MV-31 here. The bags alone are reason enough to go with a chamber machine.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    20

    Default

    You can do soups and any other liquids you choose in a chamber machine. When you are ready for a new machine come see us. I have a Minipack MVS-31X and I can do any liquids I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I've got the Cabelas commercial grade vacuum sealer. (CG-15) which it seems they don't make anymore.....hmmm.

    Anyhoo, It does a great job for what it is, is more finicky than the chamber style sealers mentioned by Brian and KTN but it's what I got. What I like about it is I can still customize the size of my bags, can re seal bags if it is something I need to reseal (bulk nuts or cereal for instance), and it works, all the time. Has never given me a hiccup since getting it in 2006 and this thing has been through everything from moose,caribou and salmon in bristol bay to lots of deer and halibut in Juneau. It's the best "sucker" type of vacuum sealer I've ever used, but it's still a sucker....so, it won't push the air bubbles out of a salmon fillet or moose roast without a little help.

    Another thing I really like is that it can do things like soups or other sloppy things on manual mode.....you cannot do that with the chamber sealers.....would be very messy. Also can do delicate things like bulk cereals without crushing things.


    When it dies I will be getting one like the minipack. But while it is 85% the machine as the minipack, it is 100% paid for at the moment and could only be sold for 25% what I paid for it.....I"m no mathematician but that I think that means I keep it for now.

    If I was starting out and didn't have one.....I'd save the pennies and get the chamber style. Food Saver's do not hold up to what you do if you are actually successful in harvesting stuff in Alaska, it comes in BIG batches and cruddy equipment poops out quickly. Oh wait, the OP is an AK "BUTCHER"......so he knows this already.....

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Just bought the VacMaster vp112 tonight. I havn't used it yet, but I really wanted a chamber vacuum packer and at $699 I couldn't pass it up.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default What Vacuum Packer do you have?

    I picked up vac master from Costco this year. 999.99 each. They work great.
    Cheapiest place to get bags is Alaska butcher sluppy.


    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359449536.815625.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359449547.432839.jpg
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

  20. #20
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    I bought the Minipack MVS-31 last summer and regret not getting one years ago. It is amazing. I've been setting up some of the other programs for other food types and it works great. At first I thought the old foodsaver was faster, but no way. Find some really big plastic cups or small pitchers from Wally World and cut the to fit your different bags then heat them into shape. Works great for filling bags and keeps the sealing area clean too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •