Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Vacuum Packer do you have?

Default What Vacuum Packer do you have?

Tell us what vacuum packer you have and why you like it.

Minipack-Torre

Because it's the best.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Minipack-Torre

Because it's the best.
    ^^ What he said. Once one goes with a professional grade machine, there is simply no turning back. It has paid for itself many times over.

I've got the Cabelas commercial grade vacuum sealer. (CG-15) which it seems they don't make anymore.....hmmm.

Anyhoo, It does a great job for what it is, is more finicky than the chamber style sealers mentioned by Brian and KTN but it's what I got. What I like about it is I can still customize the size of my bags, can re seal bags if it is something I need to reseal (bulk nuts or cereal for instance), and it works, all the time. Has never given me a hiccup since getting it in 2006 and this thing has been through everything from moose,caribou and salmon in bristol bay to lots of deer and halibut in Juneau. It's the best "sucker" type of vacuum sealer I've ever used, but it's still a sucker....so, it won't push the air bubbles out of a salmon fillet or moose roast without a little help.

Another thing I really like is that it can do things like soups or other sloppy things on manual mode.....you cannot do that with the chamber sealers.....would be very messy. Also can do delicate things like bulk cereals without crushing things.

When it dies I will be getting one like the minipack. But while it is 85% the machine as the minipack, it is 100% paid for at the moment and could only be sold for 25% what I paid for it.....I"m no mathematician but that I think that means I keep it for now.

If I was starting out and didn't have one.....I'd save the pennies and get the chamber style. Food Saver's do not hold up to what you do if you are actually successful in harvesting stuff in Alaska, it comes in BIG batches and cruddy equipment poops out quickly. Oh wait, the OP is an AK "BUTCHER"......so he knows this already.....

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I've got the Cabelas commercial grade vacuum sealer. (CG-15) which it seems they don't make anymore.....hmmm.

Anyhoo, It does a great job for what it is, is more finicky than the chamber style sealers mentioned by Brian and KTN but it's what I got. What I like about it is I can still customize the size of my bags, can re seal bags if it is something I need to reseal (bulk nuts or cereal for instance), and it works, all the time. Has never given me a hiccup since getting it in 2006 and this thing has been through everything from moose,caribou and salmon in bristol bay to lots of deer and halibut in Juneau. It's the best "sucker" type of vacuum sealer I've ever used, but it's still a sucker....so, it won't push the air bubbles out of a salmon fillet or moose roast without a little help.

Another thing I really like is that it can do things like soups or other sloppy things on manual mode.....you cannot do that with the chamber sealers.....would be very messy. Also can do delicate things like bulk cereals without crushing things.

When it dies I will be getting one like the minipack. But while it is 85% the machine as the minipack, it is 100% paid for at the moment and could only be sold for 25% what I paid for it.....I"m no mathematician but that I think that means I keep it for now.

If I was starting out and didn't have one.....I'd save the pennies and get the chamber style. Food Saver's do not hold up to what you do if you are actually successful in harvesting stuff in Alaska, it comes in BIG batches and cruddy equipment poops out quickly. Oh wait, the OP is an AK "BUTCHER"......so he knows this already.....
    My CG 15 is a workhorse when it comes to vacuum sealing fish and game throughout the year. No complaints here.

Still waiting for my FoodSaver Pro II Turbo to quit (like everyone claims it will). It's been running relentlessly for at least 5 years now. The rolls of bag material are readily available down at Trustworthy Hardware and any grocery store for very cheap. Granted, I take good care of my equipment, but this thing just keeps going and going. I don't think that FS makes any of these twin pump manual models anymore; at least I haven't seen one on the shelves at the store in the last couple years.

Oh yeah, I still have a really old original FoodSaver out in the shed that still works. It's just really slow and quite small. Wasn't fast enough to do dipnetted quantities of fish, so I went to the Pro II Turbo model.

If this FS ever does quit running someday, I might upgrade to the Cabela's commercial 15" model, but we'll see.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

15 year old FoodSaver Vac 750 still does a fine job. I pre freeze wet items before sealing so the blood or juice doesn't foul the vacuum system. I'm thrifty and re-use bags and that is where I get vacuum failures on occasion (small holes).

Cabelas CG-15. No complaints, does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    15 year old FoodSaver Vac 750 still does a fine job. I pre freeze wet items before sealing so the blood or juice doesn't foul the vacuum system. I'm thrifty and re-use bags and that is where I get vacuum failures on occasion (small holes).
    I have 2 of these, just as old and still going strong. I alternate between the 2 when processing large quantities so they don't get over cycled.

I'm a CG-15 guy as well. Really can't beat it for what it is.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

kingfisherktn and Brian: What model of Minipack-torre do you have? I see there are lots to choose from.

I recently replaced my old FS sealer with a VacMaster VP112 Chamber Vacuum Sealer. I really like it and for those that don't know you can seal a bag of water if you want to in a chamber sealer.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    kingfisherktn and Brian: What model of Minipack-torre do you have? I see there are lots to choose from.

Mine is the MV31.

I now have a VP112 VacMaster, which replaced a poorly made model of Food Saver. The VP112 works great for wet items. Since it is a large flat unit with the motor and chamber on the same level rather than a tall unit with the motor on the bottom it is comfortable to use on top of a kitchen counter. It just takes up a huge amount of counter space, and in my small house it is hard to store when not in use.

As Stid says you can seal a bag of liquid using a vac chamber, but you don't want to get the vacuum too low or the liquid will boil. Watching a bag of chili boil is interesting food "science".

I have the Cabela's pro grade as well. For the size and price it can't be beat. After processing 200+ salmon in a single day and doing an entire bear or moose in one setting it holds up fine. Our FS went belly up after a single season of dipnet.

Mini Pac Torre, MV-31 here. The bags alone are reason enough to go with a chamber machine.

You can do soups and any other liquids you choose in a chamber machine. When you are ready for a new machine come see us. I have a Minipack MVS-31X and I can do any liquids I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post

Just bought the VacMaster vp112 tonight. I havn't used it yet, but I really wanted a chamber vacuum packer and at $699 I couldn't pass it up.

Default What Vacuum Packer do you have?

I picked up vac master from Costco this year. 999.99 each. They work great.
    Cheapiest place to get bags is Alaska butcher sluppy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359449536.815625.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359449547.432839.jpg
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I bought the Minipack MVS-31 last summer and regret not getting one years ago. It is amazing. I've been setting up some of the other programs for other food types and it works great. At first I thought the old foodsaver was faster, but no way. Find some really big plastic cups or small pitchers from Wally World and cut the to fit your different bags then heat them into shape. Works great for filling bags and keeps the sealing area clean too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast