Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifetime supply of ammo

Default Lifetime supply of ammo

OK what is considered a lifetime supply of ammo if you hunt only large game species during the various seasons in Alaska? Assuming your a good shot.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Default Lifetime supply of ammo

I could get by with 200 rounds of 30-06 for the rest if my hunting life.

Now, 5.56 is another story. I'll probably shoot 2000 rounds this coming season, down from 4000 last year.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

1-2 boxes of 30-06/year would do. I could get by with less, but I feel that it is irresponsible to not at least check my rifle's zero before heading afield each time. Of course, I'd like to continue to practice more than that....but as an absolute minimum, I'd want at least 20 rounds per year.

200 rounds of 30-06 would fix me for sure. Throw in a brick of 22lr a box of 45colt,454,44mag,38spec and 357mag.Add two boxes of shotshells and I'm good till at least 75.
    What I now have is alot more than that plus reloading supplies.Also have lots of gun parts to keep them running if needed.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I believe a box of 20rds a year would be adequate....not ideal, but you could get it done. Heck- guys in the past often got by on less. I remember as a kid seeing 30-30 for sale at the rural store by the piece. I still wonder about the guys that did that from time to time.

So figure 20rds a year x 25 years would put me at 500rds to get me by. One thing missing is that I've been shooting for better than 30 years- 20rds a year would probably keep my skills with a rifle current enough to kill critters effectively. Then again- I shot a lot more (and I mean a LOT more) than that to reach that level of proficiency when I was younger. Might ought to factor into some folks consideration.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default Re: Lifetime supply of ammo

For those wondering why such a question it is two fold: 1) While I am working full time and can afford to do so I would like to get or reload a goody amount. 2) Questions always arise from my wife to how much one person truly needs. Here is Michigan based on what is left, 1 or 2 rounds a year would do but my future need I hope will be more. I have a reloading run coming up and it might be my last so I need to make it count.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

That's a Great Question Ron,..

I think that way all the time, as I dial in yet another bullet, shooting like crazy to do so, (for fun and entertainment)
    I figure, out of a box of 100 bullets purchased to reload, I should have it all dialed in after 60-80 rounds,
    with enough left for at least one full box of twenty, "Finalized Hunting Loads"
    (must admit, I'm being Really Picky there, but's it's my favorite hobby too)

I think it is totally fun to have all these "Finalized Hunting Load," boxes "Put Away for the Future"
    My Lifetime Supply per se:
    for my .270wsm, I currently have at least one box of 90gr., and two of 110gr ,
    two boxes 130gr. and 150gr
    and my favorite 160gr partitions, several boxes
    for the lifetime supply, I have powder and bullets to at least triple that

Then realistically, I use less than 5 for any one successful hunt,...right(?)
    maybe a three shot group, to make sure it's sighted in the field, and one or two to put animal in freezer

and for a year,...maybe Three Deer, One Mt. Goat, (or Black Bear, or Caribou),...and I'm giving meat to friends
    honestly two medium size animals is all I really Need, maybe three

So, a box of twenty a year, is a realistic high number for my meat provision needs, to be honest
    but after all the reloading craze shooting,...I'd have a real hard time shooting only what I had to for meat

I'd put away several hundred if you can,...
    Maybe if it's one bullet, for one caliber,...
    you won't be so tempted to just shoot 'em up for fun
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    That's a Great Question Ron,..

I think that way all the time, as I dial in yet another bullet, shooting like crazy to do so, (for fun and entertainment)
    I figure, out of a box of 100 bullets purchased to reload, I should have it all dialed in after 60-80 rounds,
    with enough left for at least one full box of twenty, "Finalized Hunting Loads"
    (must admit, I'm being Really Picky there, but's it's my favorite hobby too)

I think it is totally fun to have all these "Finalized Hunting Load," boxes "Put Away for the Future"
    My Lifetime Supply per se:
    for my .270wsm, I currently have at least one box of 90gr., and two of 110gr ,
    two boxes 130gr. and 150gr
    and my favorite 160gr partitions, several boxes
    for the lifetime supply, I have powder and bullets to at least triple that

Then realistically, I use less than 5 for any one successful hunt,...right(?)
    maybe a three shot group, to make sure it's sighted in the field, and one or two to put animal in freezer

and for a year,...maybe Three Deer, One Mt. Goat, (or Black Bear, or Caribou),...and I'm giving meat to friends
    honestly two medium size animals is all I really Need, maybe three

So, a box of twenty a year, is a realistic high number for my meat provision needs, to be honest
    but after all the reloading craze shooting,...I'd have a real hard time shooting only what I had to for meat

I'd put away several hundred if you can,...
    Maybe if it's one bullet, for one caliber,...
    you won't be so tempted to just shoot 'em up for fun
    I have several very accurate loads for my 06. I have noticed that reloading is not quite as cheap as it once was so loading for hunting is what is on my mind. Reloading is intellectually stimulating and relaxing as well. Something I will miss......

Ron

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    I have several very accurate loads for my 06. I have noticed that reloading is not quite as cheap as it once was so loading for hunting is what is on my mind. Reloading is intellectually stimulating and relaxing as well. Something I will miss......

Ron
    100 rounds of 375 would probably be plenty. If I were down to the last box, I'd probably remove the recoil pad from the rifle to make sure I was bit more frugal with the shots.

For those wondering why such a question it is two fold: 1) While I am working full time and can afford to do so I would like to get or reload a goody amount. I have a reloading run coming up and it might be my last so I need to make it count.
    A friend of mine sold off his entire substantial collection of rifles, reloading equipment, etc. which had been his hobby for many years just as he reached retirement. He kept his favorite M70 in '06 and used part of the proceeds to buy two full cases of Federal Premium loaded with 180gr Nosler Partitions. The rest of the proceeds funded several bucket list hunting trips.

He figured 2 cases would do him the rest of his days.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Fun to ponder. I need about 20 rounds of .375 a year to maintain proficiency with that rifle. I need about 100 rounds of 338 Lapua to maintain the ability to hit what I'm aiming at when streching it's legs.

I would like about 5000 rounds of 9mm, and 5000 rounds of 40 S&W so I could continue to practice and compete in an occasional steel match.

Additionally I would like 50 rounds for each rifle and 100 rounds for each handgun I own. These would be annual requests to maintain a my desired level of proficiency.

Dream on....

The above desires more than covers my needs afield and at the range.

After 20+ years of shooting my 06' I have never needed to adjust my scope. My 12 guage I don't reload just buy by the case during small game season. 5000 rounds of 9mm....wow.... I would never shoot mine that much....I honestly don't think it would make it

Ron

Edwin Hubble

To stay proficient I like to shoot around 100rds per month from a 308, sometimes double or triple that. Then, to hunt, about 50rds per year from the "hunting" rifle, that would include sighters, practice, and hunting in the field. So, if I hunt another 30 years, then I will need about 45,000+ rounds of 308 and 1500rds of various caliber hunting ammo.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

OK. You guys spend much more money then I do. See wife, two kids, you know the story. 45,000 rounds of 308 even at .50 a round is equal to the cost of my jeep, every gun I ever bought/own and every shot I ever took. With that said.....45000 rounds would be way cool to shoot.

Ron

Edwin Hubble

I plan on being around for at least 50 more years, don't even what to do the math on how much ammo that would be...

Its just a matter of priorities. I can do it because I reload, I drive old cars that are paid for, I'm done with child support payments, I have a lovely, frugal wife, and I don't pi** away money on big screen TV's or other crap that I don't see as important. My ammo supply is important to me, it's a priority.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Buy a 50 cal muzzleloader Ron and then you only need to reload on-the-go! Just for hunting I have enough to last my lifetime for sure in many different calibers. However, my son, my two grandsons ages 4 & 6, and my adopted grandson age 14 seem to keep taking a toll on my supplies!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

5000 rounds of 9mm....wow.... I would never shoot mine that much....I honestly don't think it would make it

Ron
    Ron I shoot 105 rounds minimum of 9mm and or 40S&W most Tuesday nights in steel matches. If I miss a steel I send a few more to complete the course. If I practice once a month with friends I burn another 200 rounds on action targets associated with steel match courses.

I'm shooting a Gov. issued handgun, if it wears out they will replace it. 20,000 plus rounds to date and only a firing pin and recoil spring replacement, precautionary. My wish of 5000 rounds per year doesn't cover my current habit. I sweep up brass at a local law enforcement range so once fired brass is free. Primers are .03 each, powder charge is .02 each and bullets are .12 each. The total cost associated with each shot runs about .17 or about $850 per year @ 5000 shots. A year ago bullets were about .08 and primers were .02 each. The price has gone up...

I have a Norinco 213. They are only rated to 5000. I have seen the urban legends on it. I have run 30 rounds thru it since I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Ron I shoot 105 rounds minimum of 9mm and or 40S&W most Tuesday nights in steel matches. If I miss a steel I send a few more to complete the course. If I practice once a month with friends I burn another 200 rounds on action targets associated with steel match courses.

I'm shooting a Gov. issued handgun, if it wears out they will replace it. 20,000 plus rounds to date and only a firing pin and recoil spring replacement, precautionary. My wish of 5000 rounds per year doesn't cover my current habit. I sweep up brass at a local law enforcement range so once fired brass is free. Primers are .03 each, powder charge is .02 each and bullets are .12 each. The total cost associated with each shot runs about .17 or about $850 per year @ 5000 shots. A year ago bullets were about .08 and primers were .02 each. The price has gone up...
    Don't get into Sporting Clays competition marshall, a avg 3 day tournament one can pop off 1000 rounds of shotshells very easy.... I wonder why my neck hurts all the time?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast