Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does "Book" mean to you?

Default What does "Book" mean to you?

When referring to a "Book" animal, whether its P&Y or B&C, what does this mean to you?

To me, and everyone else I know, it means its an animal that's made the all-time record book. It's made "the book", as in all-time.

I've heard people lately claiming they've shot a "book" animal only to find that it made the awards minimum.

So which is it?

The only books I look at are the regulations book and a cookbook.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Har Har Har!

it means firestarter...

the minimum has its own book as well so technically it made "a" book, but not "the" book. but it only makes the book if you pay the money and enter it...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Unfortunately, I think the "book" has evolved (or rather devolved) from an attempt to document the largest specimens (and greatest potential) of a species to stoking egos and shopping for endorsement bucks. I've killed a few critters that would qualify, but have no interest in submitting them.

I'll admit to reading through my old copy of the B&C book on a rare occasion to look at the top entries and read the old stories, but overall I have no interest in record books and feel the current obsession with making the "book" has done more harm than good in promoting hunting. It's all about the $$$$$.

Respectfully,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    it means firestarter...

the minimum has its own book as well so technically it made "a" book, but not "the" book. but it only makes the book if you pay the money and enter it...
    means Bigger tips...LOL Pretty much what BRWNBR, at least when b&c are concerned there are two books....awards book and all time book... but I have found the hunters who are serious and I mean truely serious as in willing to pass on stuff refer to "book" as in all time book...

I've always assumed it to mean that it meets the award minimum, but I'm not very well educated on the matter for reasons that Rich explains well.

I once had a guy call me and ask about the book animal that I took with a transporter that had given him my name as a reference. He was pretty flummoxed when I told him that I didn't know if it was a record book animal or not, as I had never stretched a tape on it. I suppose I should one of these days, but I doubt I would enter it anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've always assumed it to mean that it meets the award minimum,
    This is also what I've always assumed it to mean....."At least" the minimum score to qualify as a B&C animal.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Re: What does "Book" mean to you?

I've never heard "book " before. Big critters are just called Booners, regardless if they make b&c.

sent from my igloo

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    I've never heard "book " before. Big critters are just called Booners, regardless if they make b&c.

sent from my igloo
    If its taken with a bow, is it called a Poper?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post

sent from my igloo
    I never say "booner" unless I feel they will make "book"......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

all booners make the book, even popers make the other book, but then we have the adolecent critters killed that make the "other" book for folks who like plaques and medals.
    Master guide 212

Talking

flummoxed,
    I think I might have to start another thread to get the definition of that.

"Unfortunately, I think the "book" has evolved (or rather devolved) from an attempt to document the largest specimens (and greatest potential) of a species to stoking egos and shopping for endorsement bucks. I've killed a few critters that would qualify, but have no interest in submitting them. "

This is hitting the nail on the head, well put Rich I agree 100% with you on this statement....

and the "book" craze don't really hit till you get down south into whitetail country..those guys are off the handle with book this and book that down there. shoot, they get a pic of a book deer on a trail camera and its like they just won the lottery...
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    and the "book" craze don't really hit till you get down south into whitetail country..those guys are off the handle with book this and book that down there. shoot, they get a pic of a book deer on a trail camera and its like they just won the lottery...
    To the OP, "book animal" means meeting the minimum standard for that animal. P&Y is bow only, B&C is bow and gun. ie. for whitetails, P&Y is 130" minimum and B&C is 170" min. If a hunter has taken a "Booner", rest assured you will be looking at an amazing example of that species.

Easy with the whitetail bashing Jakester. Here comes a little lower 48 adjustment(and winter entertainment).

Wanna know why we flip when we get a pic of a hammer buck on a trail cam: because we hunt GHOSTS. A trophy whitetail is THE HARDEST trophy big animal in North America to kill with a bow, maybe the globe. Just ask Chuck Adams what the most difficult animal was on his Super Slam. Even with a gun, your odds don't improve greatly. Big old bucks are 99% nocturnal and you wait and pray all year to see if they MIGHT just make a daylight mistake in November while chasing the ladies. Just getting a trail pic of one is like hitting the lottery. For some perspective: Can u name anyone that has hunted 20 years in AK and has never seen a big ram, goat, moose, caribou???? I can name a hundred guys in two minutes with 20+ yrs in the deer woods that have never laid eyes on a even a Poper. It's widely accepted that over 99% of whitetail hunters will NEVER lay eyes on a true Booner in their lifetime.

Not trying to insult any AK wildlife or hunt, but I kinda chuckle when I watch vids where dudes are just walking or floating up to a blind moose while holding a paddle in the air, or a herd of caribou that just stare back as you smash an arrow into them. Moose, sheep and caribou walking right into camp. Whatever. A bruiser buck would smell that sock outside your tent and be crossing into Canada an hour before you thought of firing up the Jetboil for coffee. A bedded goat calmly turning his head to look at a hunter as he stands and draws his bow. Pleeeeeeezzzzz. Do that with a whitetail and you'll see a rocket get launched out of that bed before the release reaches your ear. Simply put, a nose, spookiness, elusiveness and sense of intelligence matched by no other animal.

Want the challenge of your lifetime Jake?? Come down here this November and I'll take you to Iowa to chase some 300lb hammers. You'll see some big P&Y bucks, maybe even a Booner, but you may spend the rest of your life trying to kill one.

Over the last 28yrs of trying to satisfy my addiction, I am very proud and lucky to have put together a nice room of P&Y bucks. A couple are close to Boone, all but one with a bow. Every one was DIY. Like other dudes have mentioned, I have never registered any. I tape them myself for fun but I don't need certificates on the wall. The smile those horns give me every day, when I go to take a leak and look in my den, is enough for me. The mount of my son's first 3pt is more than enough.

With that said, unlike some of the "purists", I don't hold it against guys who do register their trophies as I appreciate their accomplishment. Whether hunting meat or horns or both, most are hunting for the right reasons. A piece of paper hanging on their wall doesn't make them a bad guy.

Just .02 from a ghost chaser.

PS Jake: I have 6 cameras out now chasing ghosts before we're out chasing sheds in a couple weeks. Ghost chasing is a 12 month a year job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pa 5-0 View Post
    To the OP, "book animal" means meeting the minimum standard for that animal. P&Y is bow only, B&C is bow and gun. ie. for whitetails, P&Y is 130" minimum and B&C is 170" min. If a hunter has taken a "Booner", rest assured you will be looking at an amazing example of that species.

Easy with the whitetail bashing Jakester. Here comes a little lower 48 adjustment(and winter entertainment).

Wanna know why we flip when we get a pic of a hammer buck on a trail cam: because we hunt GHOSTS. A trophy whitetail is THE HARDEST trophy big animal in North America to kill with a bow, maybe the globe. Just ask Chuck Adams what the most difficult animal was on his Super Slam. Even with a gun, your odds don't improve greatly. Big old bucks are 99% nocturnal and you wait and pray all year to see if they MIGHT just make a daylight mistake in November while chasing the ladies. Just getting a trail pic of one is like hitting the lottery. For some perspective: Can u name anyone that has hunted 20 years in AK and has never seen a big ram, goat, moose, caribou???? I can name a hundred guys in two minutes with 20+ yrs in the deer woods that have never laid eyes on a even a Poper. It's widely accepted that over 99% of whitetail hunters will NEVER lay eyes on a true Booner in their lifetime.

Not trying to insult any AK wildlife or hunt, but I kinda chuckle when I watch vids where dudes are just walking or floating up to a blind moose while holding a paddle in the air, or a herd of caribou that just stare back as you smash an arrow into them. Moose, sheep and caribou walking right into camp. Whatever. A bruiser buck would smell that sock outside your tent and be crossing into Canada an hour before you thought of firing up the Jetboil for coffee. A bedded goat calmly turning his head to look at a hunter as he stands and draws his bow. Pleeeeeeezzzzz. Do that with a whitetail and you'll see a rocket get launched out of that bed before the release reaches your ear. Simply put, a nose, spookiness, elusiveness and sense of intelligence matched by no other animal.

Want the challenge of your lifetime Jake?? Come down here this November and I'll take you to Iowa to chase some 300lb hammers. You'll see some big P&Y bucks, maybe even a Booner, but you may spend the rest of your life trying to kill one.

Over the last 28yrs of trying to satisfy my addiction, I am very proud and lucky to have put together a nice room of P&Y bucks. A couple are close to Boone, all but one with a bow. Every one was DIY. Like other dudes have mentioned, I have never registered any. I tape them myself for fun but I don't need certificates on the wall. The smile those horns give me every day, when I go to take a leak and look in my den, is enough for me. The mount of my son's first 3pt is more than enough.

With that said, unlike some of the "purists", I don't hold it against guys who do register their trophies as I appreciate their accomplishment. Whether hunting meat or horns or both, most are hunting for the right reasons. A piece of paper hanging on their wall doesn't make them a bad guy.

Just .02 from a ghost chaser.

PS Jake: I have 6 cameras out now chasing ghosts before we're out chasing sheds in a couple weeks. Ghost chasing is a 12 month a year job!!!
    Pa I would bet that more whitetail go in the book per year then moose...

Quote Originally Posted by pa 5-0 View Post
    Over the last 28yrs of trying to satisfy my addiction, I am very proud and lucky to have put together a nice room of P&Y bucks. A couple are close to Boone, all but one with a bow. Every one was DIY.
    For a contrasting perspective, there are basically zero sheep hunters who have managed to put together "a nice room of P&Y" rams over a lifetime, especially not DIY. I don't question what you say regarding how incredibly smart and wary whitetails are, but there are hundreds or perhaps thousands of whitetail hunters who have managed to take multiple P&Y bucks - some who do so every year. Difficult though they may be, I see your "Pleeeeeeezzzzz" and raise you a "you've got to be kidding me" when you compare whitetail hunting with sheep hunting. Both are incredibly difficult in their own right, but a lifetime in the sheep mountains might allow a hunter a distant glimpse at a ram that qualifies for B&C, and for the most skilled of sheep bowhunters they might be able to take a very small handful of P&Y rams - but only if they're in the best of shape, willing to endure extreme weather and brutal discomfort, and take some real physical risks along the way. (And I might add that there sure as heck aren't any automated feeders in the sheep mountains, nor are there nutritional supplements being provided to "wild" animals in Alaska.)

Whitetail entries in the book from 2005-2010 3090 entries... Just sayin

Book means ALL time B&C for me... Not that I care much about it. I think they should change the whole scoring system myself. No more crazy "30 different" measurements and then deductions for extra bone.(Deduct for MORE???) My Book would be, "The most weight wins"!!! Weigh the horns,antlers,skulls, etc. Heaviest trophy is the new record! Only takes ONE measurement. Too simple I know.....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast