Thread: Fishing heating up in Juneau

Default Fishing heating up in Juneau

Ive been fishing hard the past few days, and now the fish are starting to get active. In two days at Twin Lakes I caught a load of fish including 2 14 inch rainbows, and 1 14 inch cutt - those being the biggest ones. Then I caught a couple dollies of the beach in the salt - One was almost 17 inches - not to big I guess but a fun fight on my light gear.

I really want to get into some more dollies but im new in town. Where do I go to really slay some dollies? Or is it still to early?

Any updates from anywhere else? Any Steelies in P. creek getting caught?

If you want to deal with the crowds, try False Outer for Dollies. I hear the army over there has been pulling in some nice ones using the same herring they have out for Kings. Seems like its still early for dollies. Wait for the hatcheries to release their fry and the dollies will go ballistic.
    As far as Peterson, I have SEEN, with my own eyes no less, three steelies in there. Have not caught any yet but god knows I have put in the rod time.
    Where and what were using in Twin Lakes? I have been there a couple nights last week and all I reeled in were those wee Kings. I want some trout for dinner this week.

Anywhere you fish for Kings you'll find the dollies. Same lures/bait... If you're targeting dollies just go a bit smaller. If you're targeting Kings the bigger the better IMO. There's a 30+ King leading the derby now... and that's gutted and gilled weight! They're heeeeeere! (I'll file my report this evening.... AFTER WORK!)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default echo cove

I just came in from Berners today and saw a guy get two nice dollies from the ramp. I would walk or boat out to the narrows and fish it on a outgoing tide. Try to to hit the tide about two hrs before low.

Default Juneau

I talked to John Weedman at Western Auto Marine yesterday and he says its on. They are weighing lots of fish and there's no telling who's going to win the whole Kit and Kaboddle. Good luck to all you lucky guys and gals that can fish that area.

Took my pop to get a king at False Outer today and let him use my Salmon rod while I used my dollie rod. I caught, he did not. Thought about taking the fly rods down there, but rethought and decided a fly rod at False Outer Point was just NOT a good idea. A sweet 20 inch dollie on the end of my line though. I was just waiting for some random king to hit my line and break my rod. Saw some pretty nice kings pulled in out there tonite. Will try one last time out there for my dad in the morning. Keep your fingers crossed for him.

Default dollies

Ive been doing pretty well the past few days on dollies. Ive caught a bunch with 4 between 18, and 21 inches, and I had a real lunker on for about a minute till he darted into some sharp rocks, and cut the line. Im guessing 25 inches or bigger. Maybe I should upgrade my 6lbs pound test, and go up to 10lbs test. Just so much more fun using the lightest gear possible though. Saw a big black bear on the way home tonight.

Good luck to you, and your dad on false outer.

Dollies in the salt or still in the lakes?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default salt

All my dollie's have been from the salt

Same here on the Dollies. They are pretty ravenous out at False Outer right now. Been using 4 lb test lately, it's fun. It's pretty cool going out to False outer with just a dollie rod and hearing those guys hooting because you got a pretty kick ass dollie on. Anyone have any other spots for dollies right now? I am looking for something to do tonite.

We used to fish for dollies at Sunshine Cove and at Dupont.

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    Same here on the Dollies. They are pretty ravenous out at False Outer right now. Been using 4 lb test lately, it's fun. It's pretty cool going out to False outer with just a dollie rod and hearing those guys hooting because you got a pretty kick ass dollie on. Anyone have any other spots for dollies right now? I am looking for something to do tonite.
    Windham Bay will yield a Dolly with just about every cast. Same in Hobart, Pybus, Gambier, Port Houghton, heck, even Taku Harbor is good at the moment.... If it gets REALLY BAD, let me know and you can come jig in my boat-house at Aurora... there's 3 fatties living under the dock picking on the salmon fry that are schooling up.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From a totally secrete spot yesterday

Sounds like those might be some cool pics, but they are not showing up. I like secret spots.

nice fish pat I went to your "secrete spot" today and caught 5 plan to hit the kings hard tomarrow

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    nice fish pat I went to your "secrete spot" today and caught 5 plan to hit the kings hard tomarrow
    shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone I'm back in Los Anchorage where it is 65 and sunny saw a stone sheep on the drive over! See you suckers next fall!

I think I figured out the spot, from the evidence in the first picture. I think I may "black ops" the area tonite. You'll never know I am there.