Thread: ski skins

Default ski skins

I have a couple 96 ski-doos that need new plastic skins - where's the best (cheapest) place to buy some around anchorage (could go out to the valley too). One is a grand touring and the other is a summit.

Any recommendations as to which kind to get - something that won't break the bank too much for these old machines.

Another thing to consider is looking for used plastic skis on craigslist. I got a pair of ~2005 skidoo factory plastic skis that I put on my '96 skandic and they are 10 times better than the metal skis with skins, and for $75 it was a great deal. I did have to make some adapter bushings on my lathe, but other than that they were fairly straightforward to install.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The skis your machines have should have a steel frame with a plastic sole on them. Is this true and you are looking for factory replacement soles?

These machines have a steel frame shaped and almost the same footprint of the plastic ski. I would call it a metal ski with a skin. The plastic is just a bit bigger. The skags stick down below the plastic.

I would actually prefer putting plastic skis on, but I don't have a lathe.

have you called the guys at Alaska Snowmobile Salvage? i have seen skins on the wall from machines they have parted out, or skis that folks trade in for new ones....

Kevin
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow