Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead horse debate: Tires

Default Dead horse debate: Tires

Bringing back the dead horse debate: Tires. I have a new Ranger on order and am in the process of acquiring all the little things to make it "mine". Part of that process is tires. Reading through others threads, the ITP 589's sound like a sure thing, but I can't help but look at other newer treads like the ITP Mayhem and Mega-Meyhem, or even some of the other tried and true tires like the Zillas or the Mud Bugs. Even though I really love the tread design and reputation of the Swamp Lites, I am turned off by the diminished tread life reported.

I do not intend go go out bombing through mud holes every weekend. It will be a hunting and family rig, but if a killer mud hole stands between me and where I need to go, I want to get from point A to point B without needing assistance from my buddy, Warn.

So my questions are:
    1) Does anyone have any experience with the ITP Mayhem series tires? Pros and cons?
    2) If I choose one of the tried and trues, which one would you recommend and why?
    3) Are the Mud Lite's as bad as some make them out to be? Are the XTR's any better than the XL or XXL's?
    4) Should I reconsider the Swamp Lites"
    5) Does a 14" rim give any advantage or disadvantage over a 12" rim?
    6) What size of tire would be most PRACTICAL for a ranger without modifications (meaning no lift, spacers, etc.)?

I greatly appreciate all your advice. I know there is no one answer, but I am really on the fence on the tires. All the other accessories seem like an easy decision comparatively.

~Tight lines and tight groups.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaiphisher View Post
    Bringing back the dead horse debate: Tires. I have a new Ranger on order and am in the process of acquiring all the little things to make it "mine". Part of that process is tires. Reading through others threads, the ITP 589's sound like a sure thing, but I can't help but look at other newer treads like the ITP Mayhem and Mega-Meyhem, or even some of the other tried and true tires like the Zillas or the Mud Bugs. Even though I really love the tread design and reputation of the Swamp Lites, I am turned off by the diminished tread life reported.

I do not intend go go out bombing through mud holes every weekend. It will be a hunting and family rig, but if a killer mud hole stands between me and where I need to go, I want to get from point A to point B without needing assistance from my buddy, Warn.

So my questions are:
    1) Does anyone have any experience with the ITP Mayhem series tires? Pros and cons?
    2) If I choose one of the tried and trues, which one would you recommend and why?
    3) Are the Mud Lite's as bad as some make them out to be? Are the XTR's any better than the XL or XXL's?
    6) What size of tire would be most PRACTICAL for a ranger without modifications (meaning no lift, spacers, etc.)?

I greatly appreciate all your advice. I know there is no one answer, but I am really on the fence on the tires. All the other accessories seem like an easy decision comparatively.

#3 Mud lights and my Ranger don't like each other. XTR's are even worse. I blew every sidewall on my rig in one summer. The tread didn't last as long as my Swamp Lights.
    #5 Get 12" rims, I did and wish I did it sooner. Cheaper tires and a better ride
    #6 Practical and no lift? Your in Alaska, you need a lift for more than just tires. I would suggest not to go bigger than 27" and not smaller than 27".
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Default Re: Dead horse debate: Tires

I have a ranger and the 26" 589's on it. I have three tires with tubes in them because of holes in the sidewall and I noticed the last time I had to have one repaired that some of the lugs are starting to separate. I love the tires for traction in the mud and swamps but I have only had the tires for about three years and not that many miles on them. I thought I would get more use out of them than that so when it comes time to replace them I will not be going back with the 589's.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The sidewalls on the Mud Lites are a huge turn off. It doesn't matter how good the tread it if the tire doesn't hold up. I have not heard of any advantage to having 14" over 12" inch other than some prefer the looks of the 14".

Is a lift something I should look into? If so, how much of a lift would be sufficient?

1. Winch
    2. Halfwindshield
    3. 28" X11 X 12 589's on all six tires.
    4. Get two ITP SS rear rims $50 a piece for the front so you can run 11" tires up front.
    5. 2" forward A-arms so that the wider and bigger tire will fit without rubbing and without having to add spacers, cut your floor boards, or beat/bend the front wheel well.

Eureka Ranger.jpg

With the 589's, is it just one tire that you are experiencing the lug separation? Sounds like it might be a bum tire. Do you think the sidewalls are a weakness of the tire or just a result of the type of riding you do? If you don't choose to go back to the 589's, what would you choose?

Make sure when your talking about the 589's it is the ITP version as most say this is they better version of this style tire.

I forgot who makes the other 589 tire.

Very envious of your setup. That looks practically unstoppable. Do you have power steering on your 6X6? Is power steering worthwhile or just something else that will break?

I believe it is Titan who makes the other. The ITP 589's are the only ones to consider in my opinion.

If they are ITP's this would be the first case of this happening that I've heard. Could be a lemon or something.

Our 589's have been wearing like iron.

I am talking about ITP 589's, NOT the Titan 589's. I have only ever run ITP 589's on all my rigs and have no complaints.

Currently my rig has Backwood Armor (BA) 2" forward Arched A-arms in the front, BA Arched A-arms in the center, and BA Arched A-arms in the rear, with a 2" lift all around. I'm at about 16" of clearance with no binding, rubbing, or grinding issues. The Arched A-arms and lift allow me to run my shocks at the softest setting and not sacrifice clearance when loaded. I'm at about 16" of clearance unloaded.

Caution: My Ranger is a 2010 and IMO and my buddies' opinion the 2010 is better built than the 2011 and newer years. Thicker axles, better Cv's, bigger diff's. My Ranger was manufactured in the USA and has a made in the USA sticker on the tailgate. The 2011 and newer do not have this indication and you all may have heard that Polaris moved their factory to Mexico. What my buddies have found is that the newer CV's can not handle the increased angle that the 2" lift produces, so they are running the BA Arched A-arms without any lift and still clear 28" ITP 589's. The difference is not too noticeable but when going through a boulder garden they hit on the skid plate and I don't. Literally the difference between 15" of clearance and 16" not a deal breaker but just be aware that there seems to be a difference between the angles that the 2010 CV's will handle with regards to lifts and what the 2011 and newer will handle.

Very envious of your setup. That looks practically unstoppable. Do you have power steering on your 6X6? Is power steering worthwhile or just something else that will break?
    No power steering and IMO would NEVER put powersteering on any wheeler. The most suceptible part to break is the CV and powersteering takes the trail input away from the driver. With power steering you do not feel the bind or torque that is being placed on the steering mechanims. I prefer to "feel" that the steering is bound up before my CV snaps. Just my two cents. I have not noticed that the bigger or wider tires increase steering effort at all.

Also, with these Rangers 2009 and newer, regardless of year or model you should never max turn the steering, this opens the CV and makes it vulnerable to popping out. 12 point turns are normal operating procedure for my Ranger. Never reverse in max turn, and Never floor it in max turn whether you are reversing or moving forward. Once the tires spin, get out the winch. I have never popped a CV and I'm running big tires and lift 2", but I baby it in certain situations. Swallowing my pride, tucking in the Superman cape and getting the winch out has gotten me home every time.

Here's a different opinion. I have Mud Lites on a RZR, Mug Hogs on a wheeler, and Goodyear Rawhides (upgraded factory tires) on a Ranger. The Goodyears are my favorites 99% of the time. They ride better, steer better, and handle better than the aggressive mud tires. It's that 1% of the time that you need more traction that causes problems. The Mud Lites are okay. The Mud Hogs are too aggressive for average riding, which is what my wheeler sees. If I had to choose one tire I'd stick with the Goodyears and that 99% of the time advantage.

99% of the time you don't need safety, recovery, or repair gear either, but we bring it anyway. I would not buy a tire based on how well it works 99% of the time. Pid - Not dissing your comment or your choice of tire, just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Also, with these Rangers 2009 and newer, regardless of year or model you should never max turn the steering, this opens the CV and makes it vulnerable to popping out. 12 point turns are normal operating procedure for my Ranger. Never reverse in max turn, and Never floor it in max turn whether you are reversing or moving forward. Once the tires spin, get out the winch. I have never popped a CV and I'm running big tires and lift 2", but I baby it in certain situations. Swallowing my pride, tucking in the Superman cape and getting the winch out has gotten me home every time.
    I agree 100% with your statement. Do not max turn in reversein 4x4 or you may blow your CV. I have blown one and it was going forward, original axle from 2008, full throttle and the tire grabbed and turned and BOOM! There easy to fix in the field and everyone should probaly carry a spare. The winch is your friend and will save you lots of money in the long run, even if you burn up a winch over time. I also suggest lots of straps or rope for winching. Sometimes all you have is pucker brush for an anchor but with lots of rope you have lots of brush to use. I just started carring T-post anchors and that is the cats meow!
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    99% of the time you don't need safety, recovery, or repair gear either, but we bring it anyway. I would not buy a tire based on how well it works 99% of the time. Pid - Not dissing your comment or your choice of tire, just saying...
    Performance accessories and rescue gear have nothing to do with each other. If you're pleased with degraded performance for 99% of the time so that you have an advantage 1% of the time? Your choice. The bigger point is that there are lots of tires made for lots of different user types. A guy should be honest with himself and buy the tire that suits him best. Or he can but the coolest looking ones. There's no one size fits all answer.

I think we can all agree that we all have our individual preferences. It could be argued that "performance accessories", ie Tires, could be considered rescue gear. If you don't get stuck, you won't need to be rescued. Even though I would love to run around on a tire I could get by on 99% of the time (like stock tires), me and most people, choose to upgrade so that we can extend our reach and get an advantage.

Has anyone tried the Maxxis Mud Bugs?

So my questions are:

#1 no experience with mayhem's
    #2 one that you can buy locally in case you trash one and need to replace it
    #3 I have some 27" mud lite 14" xtr's and have the smallest hole in the sidewall that it amazes me...I would not buy them again..
    #4 heard good things on swamp lites..
    #5 12's have more of a selection for tire sizes,my understanding is you can get a fatter tire for the wheel to protect the wheel better from rocks(I am no expert though)
    #6 I have 27" pro comps on 14's on my ranger now,didnt want to go too big or too heavy...

I've have three friends that use the Swamp Lites, one Ranger and two Can-Ams all loved the tire and it will be the next tire I purchase most likely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast