Thread: Alaskan Bowhunters Banquet/election

Default Alaskan Bowhunters Banquet/election

Mark it down!!! March 23 at The coast international inn . Tickets are on sale now. Contact a board member or later this week we should have them out at local stores. Also with the banquet we are looking for donation. With your donation you will get free adversitment in our magazine.
    last thing is election we are looking for fresh face with new ideas.
    Here are the position open.
    1. president
    2. vice president
    3. kenai
    4. kodiak
    5. southeast
    6. director at large
    7. director at large
    8. director at large

I need to know by feb 17 if someone would like to run or nominate someone for a position on the board.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

And the guest speaker is....? (website doesn't say either)

This year we are going to do something new and not have a guest speaker....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Can you give us a hint, thinking of going again after missing a couple years and taking my 9 year old son this time.

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    Can you give us a hint, thinking of going again after missing a couple years and taking my 9 year old son this time.
    What do you want to know?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    What do you want to know?
    Maybe I misunderstood, I read, "this year we are going to do something new"

I have talked with a few of the folks that have put this event on in the past...it use to be guest speakers would come up just for the Alaskan "experience" and maybe get in on a hunt/fish trip. From what I hear now, they demand airfare for themselves, their spouse, and maybe a staff member or two. They want big $$$ to speak. Some even demand a fully guided "free" hunt. This is a small Club and can not afford the big name speakers with this sort of attitude if we want to keep supporting youth archery and want to have a club at all. I for one am all for Local Speakers that do it for the love of the sport, but I am just one person!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

We have had guest speakers all banquets that I've been involved with.
    This year we are not having a speaker. Roger is spot on.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for clearing that up.

This will make the banquet go quick. Most people that members would want to see now of day have out priced them selves for us smaller org.
    As of right now we have
    3 African hunt
    arctic oven tent
    penn air tickets
    plus many more stuff
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Folks like Corky Richardson and Fred Eichler are great recent examples of speakers who were insanely affordable (airfare and lodging only which we typically offer) and had a genuine love for public speaking and meeting other hunters. I have never seen a speaker demand anything, but usually the networking that occurs during the banquet and their "star power" lends to a few invites for a return trip to hunt or fish.

I have been a director for the last 4 years (2 terms) in the ABA my term expires this banquet. As Gary's first post eludes to the ABA is in search of 8 positions of varying responsibility. This organization much like any other is cyclical, and that is a direct relation to those in the leadership positions of the org. I will self admit to being part of the problem and not the solution as my personal life has kept me from participating as much as I would like, and frankly as much as I should. What I hope you take away from this post is that the ABA is looking for a "few good bowhunters" that are passionate and have the time to dedicate to furthering the sport and regulations here in AK. This is a great org with a great history, there is no bias towards geographical location or trad vs compound, all are welcome. If you or anyone you know is interested in helping set the direction and influence the sport statewide I urge you to sign up for a board position. If you don't have the time to serve on the board you can still be an advocate and volunteer for numerous opportunities. If your on the fence feel free to talk to the members of the board at the banquet and decide for yourself if you want to get involved.

So I will be in town with my family that night, and was wondering without a guest speaker is their any reason to bring a 10 year old to the banquet? What besides an elections/dinner and a raffle is their to see for a young man. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoneAgain View Post
    So I will be in town with my family that night, and was wondering without a guest speaker is their any reason to bring a 10 year old to the banquet? What besides an elections/dinner and a raffle is their to see for a young man. thanks
    We will have numerous kids stuff to be raffled and silent auctioned off.
    We are working on kids boys and arrows to be given to all kids now...
    I'm hoping to have them at the banquet.

Without a speaker it will go faster. Kids won't loose there minds on how long the banquet is
    I'm bringing my 12 year old.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    We will have numerous kids stuff to be raffled and silent auctioned off.
    We are working on kids boys and arrows to be given to all kids now...
    I'm hoping to have them at the banquet.

Without a speaker it will go faster. Kids won't loose there minds on how long the banquet is
    I'm bringing my 12 year old.
    Tried to PM. Your inbox is full.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Tried to PM. Your inbox is full.

Ok, It's cleaned out and paid for more PM space!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Inbox full.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

cleaned now
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Greetings Gary, is there any reason our web site can't be updated alot sooner rather than just before the banquet?I have to say, I along with others will miss the guest speakers,and we have had some great ones, but we are all feeling the pinch and glad the ABA is making a good financial decision on this mater.Take care.George Rainha