Thread: three man sheep hunt

Default three man sheep hunt

Curious how many folks have had a trio hunting? What did you do for shelter?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Curious how many folks have had a trio hunting? What did you do for shelter?
    I have several times.. Mostly since they were guided hunts with a packer we would take 2 two man spike tents and set the hunter up in his own and me and a packer would stay in the other.. But have also done it with one tent and just used a bigger tent like a ve 25 and have been quite comfy...

We have a hilleberg nallo gt3. Hoping to find a good option for the other guy.

At around 2 pounds for just the flysheet I would happily carry my own SL3 and live like a king...

We have a hilleberg nallo gt3. Hoping to find a good option for the other guy.
    I would find another 1 or 2 man tent for the 3rd guy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I would find another 1 or 2 man tent for the 3rd guy to use.
    Yeah thats the recommendation i am after. Not sure how much use a one man tent will get after this hunt.

Yeah thats the recommendation i am after. Not sure how much use a one man tent will get after this hunt.
    if it were me I would look for a little spike tent like a 2 man marmot or something that in the future you could keep on a boat or if out on a moose hunt its light enough to throw in your pack to spend the night away from your camp or something.. I was never one to like the tiny bivy's as they are just too small and the open tents suck in lowlands as they dont do much to keep bugs out..

Yeah thats a tough one! There are a lot of pros and cons of using 1 man tents and they are not for everyone. It is possible to get two one man tents that weigh less than one 2 man tent. This gives you and your partner the ability to more evenly split loads and have some of your own privacy which can be nice. Plus finding a spot to pitch a 1 man tent is easier at times than finding one for a 2 man.

You could always hang onto the 1 man as a emergency shelter when you make long trips away from your base camp on future hunts?

I've hunted several times in a Cabela's Tetragon 5 three man tent sheep and goat hunting. When we're all there it can be tight since two of the guys are well over 6 foot. Most of the gear is stored outside so that can be a pain, but doable. The good news is that we're usually individually hunting and we don't come back to the main camp area because we all bring bivy sacks too. I do it this way so I don't have to come back to the main camping area until I'm ready to resupply or I'm bringing back an animal. The tent has kept us dry every year and the only challenge it has had for us is in severe wind.

Did a 3 man sheep hunt with a Skyledge 3 for 2 people and a PCT1 for the other. I also spiked one night on a goat hunt with 3 people in the skyledge 3. It was possible but not something I would want for a week or more. Getting a good night sleep is worth the weight.

You can find 1 man tents fairly cheap (Campmor, Sierra Trading, eBay). In an emergency you can always fall back on sleeping together.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    At around 2 pounds for just the flysheet I would happily carry my own SL3 and live like a king...
    I second that. The shangri la 3 is well worth the $250 - a guy would certainly find reason to use it again. Several people on this forum have given them favorable reviews. I've hunted solo out of mine and will certainly do so again.

Also, the shangri la 2 is another option at just $150 (when golite has them back in stock). Fly sheet is just a little over a pound, sets up with trekking poles. A friend of mine in WY uses one to spike out for mulies and elk and has nothing but good things to say about it.
    http://www.golite.com/tents/shelters-and-tents

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

THanks Wyo2AK, that looks to be the ticket.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

350bull told me he uses a Black Diamond mega light tipi, 4 man tent that weighs 42 oz.
    Their group was 3 hunters, two sheep - http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ur-first-sheep
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I use a Kifaru Sawtooth, it would be tight with 3, but very doable with room for gear, 4lb 8ozs.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

We squeezed 3 guys in a 3 man BA copper spur UL. Tight fit!

Default 3 man tipi

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    23 is on to something.

We've used an sl-5 for two, trio sheep hunts. Cozy but fun! Also had a backup sl-3 for bivies and whatnot...even with Bighorse in there we had some wiggle room.

I've done multiple hunts with three guys out of my Hillebreg Nallo 3GT. Once to Raspberry for elk, once on DC001, and then on a Peninsula goat hunt also. Sure, it is tight, but it was less to carry. If guys start to complain, I have found with the size of the vestibule, one guy can sleep in there and you can tarp extra stuff outside.

Raspberry Island

DC001

Kenai Goat Hunt.

As you can seen from the photos, I also prefer to only hunt when the sun is out, although we did have some hazy skies on Raspberry. As far as the weather goes though, I would think if the weather is nice a guy would be real comfortable with one of those lightweight tarp things + the tent, and if it got pretty nasty, all three could go into the tent.