Thread: Muskrat encounter while Icefishing...

Default Muskrat encounter while Icefishing...

I was out fishing on Sand Lake on Sunday, looking down the hole jigging some eggs when suddenly a muskrat popped up in the whole looked at me and then went back down! It shocked me more then anything but he actually appeared again about 5 minutes later. I was wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them before?

No but I might of pooped myself if it did!
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Yes, while ice fishing on Johnson Lake a few years back . .

Has not happened to me personally But I've had a few people tell me about it happening to them.

My stepdad was videoing some of his pike spearing back in Mn. a number of yrs ago. Along swims a muskrat, climbs up thru his spearhole and runs a number of circles in the small spearhouse. All caught on tape. Made quite a scene for a few moments then jumped back in the hole and swam off. I got the tape laying around somewhere in the house. It was pretty funny to say the least.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Default Muskrat encounter while Icefishing...

I've had one pop out my icehole as well. Almost spilled my beer!

Has happened to me a bunch of times. Happened to me again this year at Sand lake as well.

Default Re: Muskrat encounter while Icefishing...

Just about every time I fish egumen lake here on the pen I get one stick his head through the hole. The first time it happened I was looking somewhere else and when I looked back into the hole there was one looking at me, caught me off guard and scared the crap out of me. Natural response is fight or flight and I did the first thing that my brain said to and that poor rat swam away with a good lump between his eyes from an ice fishing rod.
    Now when I fish there I expect it to happen but it's still odd to look between your feet into the hole and Se something looking back at you.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Smile

Years ago some sporting magazine told of a guy who had taken his lab along into his spearing shanty. Evidently, the dog saw the pike decoy, jumped in to retrieve it, got under the ice, and came up in the next shanty over. I guess the guys in that shanty 'bout tore the place down trying to get out.

Don't know whether the anecdote was true or not, but it'd sure get your attention to have something big and black come erupting out of your spearing hole in a dark ice shanty.

Yes I have had this happen many time before.
    My buddy snagged one on a tipup once. He didn't know what to do once he got it on the ice so I took care of it for him.
    I have also had them come up in my darkhouse while spearing. I once trapped 2 of them out of a fellow spear fishermand darkhouse when they took it over. He gave those to his son in law who trapped and would take care of them.
    They have been known a few times to take over a guys darkhouse. Usually once they move in and start bringing in all sorts of vegetation you have to move your darkhouse. You also need to be careful if they move into your darkhouse or wooden shanty as their movements under the ice can weaken it and cause thin ice underneth of it.
    My dad tells me he had one once take over his darkhouse and when he came back one corner had falen through the ice.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Im glad to hear its happened to other people. I think if it happens again I will be surprised but was caught completely off guard when something comes up a ice hole that isn't a fish I'm pulling up!

Happened to me on Island Lake on the Kenai. Was peering down the hole, face inches from the water, when he swam by. It amazes me they can find enough air under the ice. I heard somewhere they breath the air from bubbles under the ice!? Has anyone heard that too? Regardless, having something other than a fish coming up the hole will really get the blood pumping!

Has happened to me on several occasions! Scared the crap outta me first time! I have noticed that once a muskrat starts hanging around my hole, the bite stops. So I now punch a couple additional holes away from the shelter that they can use.

I've had it happen a couple times. The funniest was when one popped out of the hole and was so spooked by me he forgot to breathe. He popped back up a couple seconds later to get a good breath, then disappeared for good.