Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More reloading questions...

Default More reloading questions...

I've read tons of posts on here about advice on what to buy, where to buy, and how to use reloading equipment. Lots of valuable information from you guys that have been doing this a long time. I read all this AFTER I placed my order last night from Bass Pro. I ordered the Lyman T-Mag Expert Deluxe Kit. I was already going to get into reloading after I see what Alaska winters look like now. I definately need something to do during darkness. When I'm home from work, I don't watch tv or read newspapers. I didn't realize everybody has gone into a ammo and reloading buying craze. It's just my luck. It's the story of my life. I end up buying stuff at the highest its ever been in history. Plus, I am very impatient.

Most of the people on here talk about lots of presses, but not the Lyman. Did I buy the wrong thing. I thought I was buying a quality product. I ordered it from Bass Pro with the backorder status that will ship when they get it soon. I'm sure I can cancel the order and order something else. What do you guys think?

http://www.basspro.com/Lyman-TMag-Ex...duct/10200317/

This is what comes in the kit:
    The Lyman® T-Mag Expert Deluxe Reloading Kit features the T-Mag II Reloading Press, universal case trimmer, 1000XP electronic scale, #55 powder measure, universal priming arm, primer tray, auto primer feed, extra decapping pins, 49th edition reloading handbook, primer catcher, deburring tool, powder funnel, quick-release turret system, case lube kit, and a 7/8'' x 14 adapter for mounting #55 powder measure in press turret.

If I was going with a turret system I would get the Hornady system. Mount my dies in additional plates for ease of storage and use.

There are other places to order reloading supplies. Unless a big shop like bass pro or cabelas has something in their bargain bins I would buy from a place that has more supplies. Natchez, precision, midway, etc.

That is a very good press, not a thing wrong with it. But to answer the question I’d ask what do you plan to load for and how much? If your are a rifle guy just doing a little handgun stuff you have a very good foundation there to get going with.

If you are feeding some handguns and an AR or two you may want something progressive press. I love and recommend the Hornady L-N-L AP, Dillon wrote the book on Progressive but Hornady is as good as a Dillon 650 for $250 less. Even if you went progressive you will still want a single stage to go with it. The T-Mag would be great for that but definitely overkill. I like overkill myself, but a cheaper press would be just fine to back up a progressive.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

AK, I ordered from Bass Pro because all other other ones you mentioned was sold out on everything. Bass Pro let me order it on "backordered" status with the option to have it shipped as soon as they got one.

AD, I will be loading mostly handguns and some rifles. 500 S&W, 45 ACP, 44Mag, 40 S&W, 22 hornet, 270win, and whatever big bore rifle I decide to buy before moose season. Probably be 338, 340 weatherby, or 375 H&H. Havn't decided yet. The reason I went with the Lyman is because of the turret and because it looked to be a really nice KIT.

Yes it is a good kit and would start you well but with that list you will want a progressive sooner or later. Sooo, for $389.99 in stock you could start with this Hornady;
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=PC09510 0

You’ll need dies, shell plats and scale to be in business. Scale is a whole other thread, lots of options!
    Then there is a gun show next weekend here in Palmer I think and you should be able to grab a used single stage, or buy say a Lee Classic new for around $80.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I lied, it went out of stock as I was typing. Google Hornady L-N-L AP and you should be able to find one.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Can't make it to the gunshow. I won't be home from work until Feb. 14th. That is partly the reason I'm buying it online and having it sent home. I'd hate to know what my wife would come back with if I sent her to buy me anything gun related.

No, that is not a bad set-up,..Lyman is good stuff, and that looks like a pretty good kit

but for "Mostly Handgun Ammo," I'll defer to ADfields' advice,...

if you cant back out, that's a fine unit, you won't regret starting out that way
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post

Most of the people on here talk about lots of presses, but not the Lyman. Did I buy the wrong thing. I thought I was buying a quality product. I ordered it from Bass Pro with the backorder status that will ship when they get it soon. I'm sure I can cancel the order and order something else. What do you guys think?

http://www.basspro.com/Lyman-TMag-Ex...duct/10200317/

This is what comes in the kit:
    The Lyman® T-Mag Expert Deluxe Reloading Kit features the T-Mag II Reloading Press, universal case trimmer, 1000XP electronic scale, #55 powder measure, universal priming arm, primer tray, auto primer feed, extra decapping pins, 49th edition reloading handbook, primer catcher, deburring tool, powder funnel, quick-release turret system, case lube kit, and a 7/8'' x 14 adapter for mounting #55 powder measure in press turret.

I bought that setup in '08, and eneded up swapping the electronic scale back to BPS for a beam one (got the scale and 100 boolits). The electronic in my kit refused to hold zero, and within 5 powder charges would be 4 gr off, high or low.

You could also just go to ebay and buy what you want right now rather than wait until Bass Pro has it back in stock. My very first press was a Lyman Spar-T which is what you ordered. But I bought mine back in 1973.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I have the same Lyman kit you have. There is nothing wrong with it at all. You get all the tools you need to get started and then some.
    Now what ?

Default More reloading questions...

Pretty common knowledge but if you get an electronic scale be ware of fluorescent lights in the area as they can cause 60hz interference. So far the two electronic scales I have seem to work well as long as I perform the calibration each time I start it up or move it during use.

Not common knowledge to me, LuJon, thanks for the tip. I had mine set up on the galley table in my RV. Wonder if that caused its flakiness?
    I have been wary of electronic scales since...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Pretty common knowledge but if you get an electronic scale be ware of fluorescent lights in the area as they can cause 60hz interference. So far the two electronic scales I have seem to work well as long as I perform the calibration each time I start it up or move it during use.
    I don't have a bit of trouble with either of my 2 batt operated electronic scales. I use them interchangeably.

There is a floresent bench light right over the work area.

They are cheapies too. Only paid $20.00 each for them On Sale from Midway.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I don't have a bit of trouble with either of my 2 batt operated electronic scales.

They are cheapies too. Only paid $20.00 each for them On Sale from Midway.

Smitty of the North
    I bet I have the same, can't remember the brand name but it was highly reputable,
    like (Frankford Arsenal maybe, good stuff) and on sale, a great deal,...

but now and then it just goes flaky, just won't settle down
    I don't have any florescent lights nearby,...this is the one I use on the boat,...it's not complicated down there, I don't think,
    I turn off everything nearby,...no solutions found yet

Change the batteries out doesn't work,...
    I've wiped it down with anti-static dryer sheets cloth,...
    Turn Off, back On,...
    tried different locations,...

Sometimes it works Flawlessly, sometimes not,...any ideas ??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Flourescent lights should only cause 60 hz interference if you are plugged into a wall outlet. Running on batteries shouldn't be affected by that. But there are so many other issues with electronic scales that I just use my good RCBS 10-10. I LOVE the dial on the end of the beam. I've got the RCBS Rangemaster and I just have no confidence in it. Throw a 50.0gr charge and leave it on the scale, go to the bathroom, come back 2 minutes later, and it'll read 50.1gr or 50.2gr. Also, throughout the course of reloading 50 rds, the zero will float heavy by about 0.4 gr. I have to recalibrate and rezero about every 10 rounds. Anyway, lots of other folks have good luck with electronic, but not me. My 10-10 will stabilize in the time it takes me to turn over my next piece of brass and move my funnel, so an electronic doesn't have the speed advantage. Anyway, my $0.02 on electronics.

agoyne-Good luck with your new addiction, er, hobby. I'm in Sterling as well so if you have any questions as you are getting started, PM me and we can get together.

The ballast in older fluorescent lights can do some very funny things to battery operated scales too, there is a magnetic field or something.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    ,..... But there are so many other issues with electronic scales that I just use my good RCBS 10-10. I LOVE the dial on the end of the beam. I've got the RCBS Rangemaster and I just have no confidence in it. Throw a 50.0gr charge and leave it on the scale, go to the bathroom, come back 2 minutes later, and it'll read 50.1gr or 50.2gr. ....... Anyway, my $0.02 on electronics...
    Thanks Ripper,...that's a valuable .02 cents in my opinion
    having had enough trouble to be using my 5-0-5 again, with a sigh of relief

I can confidently "Forget About," those fancy Electronic Weigh and Dispense deals,..that keep pulling on me

The Whole, Recalibrate,....over and over,...
    or watch the 50.0 charge creep around, while you prep the next case,....just irritates the heck outta me

So I am curious, is the 10-10, a much finer unit than the 5-0-5 scale that came with my kit ??
    Worth buying one,...or are there other manual beam scales that are highly recommended by anybody ??

I might be going back to manual beam 100%

Ok Guys I have another question. I am renting a house right now, so I can't build a permanant heavy duty reloading bench until I buy a place of my own. Does anybody have any ideas for a temparary bench?

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post
    Ok Guys I have another question. I am renting a house right now, so I can't build a permanant heavy duty reloading bench until I buy a place of my own. Does anybody have any ideas for a temparary bench?
    When I was in the same position I built a very nice little chest, about 15 cubic feet in volume, like a big foot locker; it has a hinged lid and a tray that lifts out, with a deep storage area beneath. When in use my press was mounted to the top with carriage bolts and wing nuts, when not in use it was stored inside along with all my loading supplies. It worked great, and I still have it. It currently serves as the bench seat in front of my bench and stores lots of my supplies.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast