Thread: Record Salmon Released

Default Record Salmon Released

Not in AK but just down the coast in BC on August 19th 2012 an 83.3# king caught @ Rivers Inlet was released to go make some more giants.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/08...n_1828142.html

What a pig! I wonder if it had any scales left after the hugging and kissing was done?

Charterboat Operator

that fish looks a little shy of 83lbs.... must of been really thick across the back... fish of a life time!!! bet that angler was stoked!!!!bravo for the release!!!

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    What a pig! I wonder if it had any scales left after the hugging and kissing was done?

Can't say... but when they get close to the river, do the scales lock in like they do on the cohos? Feeder king scales come right off, but it seems I can't knock the local hatchery fish's scales off if I tried.

Those hawg kings show up to Noyes Island on the W Coast of Prince of Wales during July and Early Aug, as they pass though. Seems we get a good wave of them around July 10th at the Cape. We frequent places like Cape Ulika, Flat Rock, Little Veta Bay, Pineapple, Hole in the Wall, Hawg Rock, "the tree", and Steamboat Bay in hopes of hooking one of those giants. Late July at flat rock is about as exciting as it gets, in my opinion. I love it when a hot bite is going on elsewhere, and i have it all by myself. I recall an 80lb fish getting landed by Sam Peters of Slammin Sams charters about 8 years ago. It's shallow water mooching.. the best fishing in the world.

I wonder how long that fish will live after all the love? I bet its dead in a few days. I aplaud him letting it go i just wish he would have treated it with more care.

I read the whole story. Certainly a beauty of a fish. I think them saying it was the 3rd largest on record is WRONG. I live on the Kenai. Back in the 80's when Les Anderson caught the world record of 97.4 lbs there were about 4 other 90+ lbs Kings caught.I even know of a 92 lb caught in a guided drift boat. The guide anchored and jumped out after a long fight and manhandeled that fish to the bank. Granted, I can't say ALL these fish were IGFA but certainly RW's 95lb was.

Do they have different records for saltwater fish versus river fish? Tough to compare the two.

Looking at the essentially NO loss of scales (after much abuse I'm sure, hard to be gentle with 83.3 pounds of buttkick) and the dark color on it's jaws....it looks like a returning fish to me and was starting to harden up already. A little late (August 19) for most stocks in SE but not sure about BC stocks.

No matter what, that's a big flippin king.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Looking at the essentially NO loss of scales (after much abuse I'm sure, hard to be gentle with 83.3 pounds of buttkick) and the dark color on it's jaws....it looks like a returning fish to me and was starting to harden up already. A little late (August 19) for most stocks in SE but not sure about BC stocks.

No matter what, that's a big flippin king.
    Most likely a Skeena fish.

Article says that the fish was snagged. Obviously the writer doesn't know that when you use the word snagged, and you're from Alaska, you think of a different meaning than what was intended

I have to disagree…….100 percent chance the fish survived??????? right, hour long battle, who knows how long it was out of the water for……..I don't think 100 percent is any where close. Far be it for me or any one else to tell some one what to do with their fish, but if they had the mind set to release it they should have left it in the water and do the best they can as far as getting pics, but getting a fish that big to co-operate is easier said then done. I think it is also important to note it seems their fish runs are doing a lot better down there then up here so their attitude towards the hole thing might be a lot different as well.

Surely not 100 % but if it was a returning fish, it's got a much better chance of making it than if it was a feeder. I got one sunday and even trying to be nice to it I was not pleased at its condition being a half inch short and being returned. Those feeders are bleeding, descaling wimps......but oh so tasty. Next one I get that is anywhere near too short, I will definitely grab the pliers and just pop it loose in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Do they have different records for saltwater fish versus river fish? Tough to compare the two.
    In the article they included Les's 97.4 pounder as one of the 3 biggest. I just looked at all of the Alaskan kings submitted for trophies and there are 38 other kings larger than this 83.3 king. I only included kings from 84-97.4 pounds. There were a lot of 83.3-83.15 pounders, but I didn't even count those. 3rd largest my as*
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default hogs

That is a HOG! this one was 68lbs landed in May 2010
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

When I see kings like that, I mourn for what the Kenai River was and will probably never be again.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    When I see kings like that, I mourn for what the Kenai River was and will probably never be again.
    We here in Old Harbor dont allow development on or near our streams, thats what kills streams imo.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I'm not a fan of what the Kenai River is in it's current state, however, it is unlikely that any depression in run sizes has much to do with development. Yes, it's pounded every year, yes, half of it has homes on it's banks, but overall it's in immaculate shape compared to rivers down south. The likely issue with less big fish in the Kenai is selective fishing pressure (for size) and run depression is a regionwide issue at the moment. In 7-10 years the number will likely return, it's unclear if the size of years past will. Considering the cycles of abundance and size that are being teased out of long term chinook studies, it's not impossible that those big kings were just part of the dynamics, and will return someday.....perhaps just not as fast as some would like.

So combo, you are right, there are hundreds of streams in Washington and Oregon that show how channelization, farming, urban runoff and most importantly logging and damming rivers leads to sketchy salmon runs, however I don't think the Kenai is anywhere near the threshold that would make development a leading factor.

You think this picture is bad ~ imagine what the picture of the fish hanging from the scale with a big metal hook in his gillplate looked like... You don't get those digital readouts [83.3] by measuring the fish and comparing it to some guide in a tide book.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    You think this picture is bad ~ imagine what the picture of the fish hanging from the scale with a big metal hook in his gillplate looked like... You don't get those digital readouts [83.3] by measuring the fish and comparing it to some guide in a tide book.
    Yeah, nice as a real weight and a good pic for braggin on such a big fish would be, a true release would have best been done over the side of the boat, ala Alaska freswater king fishing regulations style. But, had he bonked, it......it had zero chance of spawning I guess.

I noticed the use of the word "snagged" as well......however even if he did actually snag it, in the salt it's legal. Could you imagine a snagged ocean bright 83.3 king?.......That would take shark tackle