Thread: Took the wife out hunting today more less to just get out of the house and got this

Default Took the wife out hunting today more less to just get out of the house and got this

So the wife and I have been talking about "getting away" for a afternoon to have a break from the kids and get a chance to spend some quality time together. So finally I pestered her enough to finally get her to come hunting with me (this was her first ever time out hunting). We took a trip to one of my favorite spots to just go and relax loaded up with my 17 HMR and her .22LR and nothing more than a trusty predator mouth call (called in 2 bears before we deployed and has called in a few wolves and fox this year). we started out on our hike and got about 3 miles in on a nice trail and decided to plop down and give the call a shot and to relax a bit. My wife was sitting behind me facing away leaning against a nice fat birch tree and I was facing the hill side directly in front of me (expecting that to be the route the critters would take). I gave the ol mouth call a few hammers and with in 3 minutes the wife elbows me in the side and says there is a fox about 50 yards away facing directly at her but she has no shot due to heavy brush and trees. I turn around slowly and see between the V of who birch trees a beautiful red head poking through the two trees. I tell my wife I have a clear shot but I will have to thread the needle between two trees to connect. She tells me to take the shot and to use her as a rest (some wife I know haha). I load the 17 HMR and go to take aim when I realize that all I am seeing is white due to the snow fall accumulating on my scope so I gently brush away the fluffy snow flakes and take aim. With a gentle squeeze of the trigger and a brisk pop surrounding the wood line I see the fox's head snap back and he drops. My wife is simply GLOWING right now as this was her first hunt and she was the one who spotted the fox. We take a few moments to soak in the joys of our combined effort and start walking the half a football field distance to where this brightly colored fox is piled up. She gets to the kill site and bends over and grabs it by the nap of the neck and looks at me and smiles and said "we did it!" Was one of my all time highlights seeing my "city girl Southern California" wife overjoyed with her first hunting experience. We make the hour trip back out of the wood line and head home smiles on both of our faces.

The best part now is she is INSISTING to hunt with me more often (I have created a monster)... Plans for next weekend are to go back out and try for another.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fox.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	67467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fox2.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	67468

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Fantastic! Man, there is just nothing better than a successful hunt with your wife. Predator hunting in the winter is the one kind of hunting that I haven't gotten my wife to go along on yet. Perhaps I need to have her read this thread?

Very nicely done - both of you- and thanks for taking the time to share. Now go get a few more and make your wife a nice fur coat or hat.

Brian tell you what this has been fairly warm this year she was out there and didnt hear one complaint all day from her.. was quite a few day out. Now off to send the pelt to get tanned for a nice wall hanger

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    She gets to the kill site and bends over and grabs it by the nap of the neck and looks at me and smiles and said "we did it!"
    That may be the Best Single Sentence I've seen from a hunt report,....Like Best Ever

How Awesome is that,....Congrats,...
    Thanks for a great story and pics
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Awesome! I took my fiance for the first time a few weeks back, we didn't get any predators but she loved watching the birds try and attack the e-caller. She's been wanting to go ever since but we haven't made it back out do to the crappy weather. I showed her your pictures and now she's really jacked. Thanks for sharing!

Default Took the wife out hunting today more less to just get out of the house and got this

Awesome story!!

great job and a great story too!
    We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. - (Aldo Leopold)

Great post Sir! Now, one of the keys to a long and happy marriage is to ask her what she wants to do when you get more free time and if its something you are not really wanting to do, go along anyway and be as supportive of her interests as she is of yours!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Great post Sir! Now, one of the keys to a long and happy marriage is to ask her what she wants to do when you get more free time and if its something you are not really wanting to do, go along anyway and be as supportive of her interests as she is of yours!

X2

Very cool!!!