Thread: black powder cartridge rifle for AK draw hunts

Default black powder cartridge rifle for AK draw hunts

I as thinking of requesting ADF&G to allow the use of black powder cartridge rifles (bpcr) for draw hunts where shotguns and muzzle loaders are allowed. The velocity and trajectory would be the same as a muzzle loader with the same bullet and powder. Since the hunts are for limited range firearms, the bpcr would also work. I suspect it would restrict the bullets to lead plain base bullets and powder to black powder or a volume similar recognized substitute. I have noted that other states are allowing such guns for the hunts. Since I have several I would enjoy using them. I was wondering how many others had a bpcr they would like to use for the weapons restricted hunts?

It isn't ADF&G that makes these decisions. You need to research the Alaska Board Of Game (BOG) process. You missed this year but they have a process for putting in proposals and a schedule of what regions are open to proposals each year.

I don't know that those draw hunts you are referring to are weapons restricted as you thinking, I think when you read them there are specific details stating muzzle loader only and you have to have the muzzle loader certification as well. It is the traditional use that is the point I love using my flintlock and personally don't care for the in-line style. Just my thoughts.

BPCR competitions are long range rifle competitions. 200 yard chickens, 300 yard pig, 400 yard turkey, 500 yard ram (well, meters actually). They even shoot 1000 yard gongs and paper with them. How could you think that BPCR and a muzzle stuffer are similiar? I don't even know whether my 50 cal muzzie stuffer will shoot 500 yards. I'll have to try that someday.

If anything, I think that all of the states should move their muzzie restrictions to flintlock only - make it a bit more sporting.

That would be cool, but my Sharps can reach a long way!

And then you have the problem of definition. My 45-70 was originally a black powder cartridge along with a number of other calibers out there. If I can ever find or reload black powder rounds for it, does it qualify? I l ike the way it is now, makes you actually put effort into the stalk and shot since you only get one.