Thread: Boot help

Default Boot help

It seems like every sturdy/rigid leather boot I try on, pinches my feet at the flex point. Is there a remedy for this? I've pretty much tried on every boot in Anchorage and even bought some Lowa Tibets off the Internet and they do it as well. Just to clarify, the flex point isn't pinching my toes, it's about a half an inch back. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks

Default Boot help

Do you have a wide foot? My Tibets have taken 3 hikes and some short walks to break in. You also might tryto not tighten the laces to much over the top of your foot until the boot breaks in. I could only wear mine at first of 2hrs for the same thing.

No, I actually have a fairly narrow foot.

Default Boot help

Wear them for short walks. Mine needed time to break in and pinched too. Wore in the house too! Now mine are like a glove and only had them 2 weeks. Try the loosen laces until they break in. These boots will last. Vibram and gortex!

Ok, I'll wear them around and go on some short walks/hikes. I was just worried about using them too much and being unable to return them. Thanks for the help y'all I appreciate it

Default Boot help

That is up to you on returning them; i don't know how bad they are hurting you. I had the same feeling. Oh sh** I just spent what on a pair of boots that hurt in the toe box when walking. Not fun when I am planning a Alaska caribou hunt and bad boots can stop you in your tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Bowman View Post
    Ok, I'll wear them around and go on some short walks/hikes. I was just worried about using them too much and being unable to return them. Thanks for the help y'all I appreciate it
    Although it could happen, but I know I wouldn't just assume that your boots will end feeling ok on your feet. If it was me I'd take em back and keep looking. But again.....that's just me.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Although it could happen, but I know I wouldn't just assume that your boots will end feeling ok on your feet. If it was me I'd take em back and keep looking. But again.....that's just me.
    The boots feel really good on my feet, it's just when I squat down on my toes, or act like I'm climbing up hill, the flex point pinches down on my foot. I've kind of run out of options beyond returning these and buying some Hanwag or meindls(the only brands I haven't tried) I just don't want to keep paying for shipping and all that. I'm going to contact lathrop and sons to see what they think.

What are you going to be wearing them for; general hiking, sheep hunting,..? If they're going to be a mountain boot than you may consider trying something with a stiffer shank to eliminate some of the toe flex all together. If they're more of a general hiker then you may not want to go this route because they won't be as comfortable on the flatter ground.

I'm of the impression that if they pinch my feet in the store they probably aren't going to get any better and it's not worth taking the risk. Stiff in the store is one thing and can be worked through but pinching isn't acceptable. I know I can never wear Asolo boots because their shank flex point doesn't match my feet, it's too far out on my toes. For this reason, Asolo would one boot I say you give a try.

Are you in Anchorage? If so what stores have you been to in town?

Well, I'm looking for an "all around" boot. Something that will be sufficient in sheep country, but also on other hunts. I've tried on about every "rigid" boot in Anchorage, in my size (AMH, REI, Barneys, Sportsmans) . The only boot's that didn't pinch my feet where the Scarpa Wrangell GTX's at Barney's but I thought this was too much boot for my purposes... maybe that was a mistake. I believe I tried on a pair of Asolo but cannot recall for sure.

I've been wearing the Lowa's around the house this week, and the pinching is definitely getting better. I plan to just wear them around for a week and if it's still there; try to return/sell them. In the meantime I'll go back to a couple stores (*long sigh) and try on some different Asolo.

Thanks for your help,

I found my most comfortable/durable alpine boot while stationed in Germany. They served me very well from hunting chamois in the alps, to elk in the Idaho Sawtooth's but they finally gave up the farm when significant amounts of moose blood drained into them. Go on Cabela's and look at the video's and recommendations from member reviews for Meindl's. They have a couple mid/upper stiffness models Perfekt & Alaska Hunter for the masses. I'll be picking up another pair [going with the Alaska Hunter] in March to get them broken in for this September's sheep hunt. If you're some kind of fanatic mountain man [alaskanhidalgo] I've heard good things about the more expensive Kenetrek's.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I found my most comfortable/durable alpine boot while stationed in Germany.
    I saw those boots in the catalog and ALMOST pulled the trigger on them. I saw more rave reviews for the Lowa Tibets so I took the chance. I'll definitely consider those if I end up going to a diff boot.

Where were you stationed in Germany? I spent a week in Bitberg on the way to Afghanistan on 2007. Had a REAL good time.