Thread: Hawaiian Canoes outriggers?

Default Hawaiian Canoes outriggers?

I took a break from AK and and have been looking at the Hawaiian canoes and Kayaks most have outriggers? Even the Kayaks?

On the bigger canoes they are all lashed down with what looks like nylon line. Kinda neat to see different designs for different waters.

Peoples of the long past were some traveling folk for sure. It great that some cultures still dance with who brung em.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Amazing when you consider they populated the Pacific with those craft....

Buddy of mine shoved a styrofoam crab buoy on each end of a 10' aluminum pipe, then hose clamped the works to his center thwart. Trick was to use buoys small enough not to drag, but big enough to provide extra buoyancy way out where it counts when the canoe tips. Looks funny and hokey as heck. But here's the deal- He can really reef on dungie pots with no fear of tipping. When not in use he unclamps it and lays it in the bottom of the canoe. Really works well, no matter how uncool it looks.

some years back grummen sold units for there canoes like that don't know if theystill do as I had [ still have ] a pair