Thread: Anchorage to homer

Default Anchorage to homer

I'm in anchorage doing some shopping and have never been to homer. Thinking about taking a drive out there. How long will it take with the current road conditions? Thanks!!!
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

5-6 hours...really depends on your stops along the way.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Today it is 34 degrees and trying to rain. 3-45 to 4 1/2 hrs drive the road not the speed limit.

this time of the year a lot dependson the weather it is 220 miles to down town homer I think , an if the roads are bare no ice snow about 4 hrs +/- a little [ speed lim] or - a hole lot , it is all depens on the weather , good luck what the other people stated is good but it could be a lot more
    [ WEATHER THIS TIME OF YEAR ? ]

Thanks everyone. Took a hair over 4 hours. I chose not to stop along the way as I wanted some daylight while I was in Homer. Cool little town. Was fun driving through all the places I have only heard people talk about on the forum Will have to do the trip again when I have more time to explore...

Thanks again for the advice
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Hope you got a chance to visit the gearshed.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Hope you got a chance to visit the gearshed.
    Add to that Two Sisters Bakery, Homer Brewing Company, and someplace that serves K Bay Coffee. No trip to Homer is complete without those three, and ideally a stop by Cosmic Kitchen is thrown in as well.

AND starvin marvins pizza

Cosmic and mermaid are both on vacation... mermaid has better pizza than starvin marvin's imho, but in the summer Finn's is the ONLY place for a pizza. You can get marvin's pizza frozen to take home anyway.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks for all the tips. We are thinking of doing a trip with the kids this summer for some camping if work allows. Will make sure I determine which pizza is best....

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Cosmic and mermaid are both on vacation... mermaid has better pizza than starvin marvin's imho, but in the summer Finn's is the ONLY place for a pizza. You can get marvin's pizza frozen to take home anyway.
    I had numerous clients last summer that had pizza at Finn's and everyone said it's fantastic. I never got the chance to try it myself because I was too busy. Starvin Marvin's is acceptable IMHO, but more a "last resort" sort of pizza to eat.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Ya, I hate teh fact that when I got on my kenai trip in the fall Finn's isn't open. Amazing, and I want that wood fired over they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Ya, I hate teh fact that when I got on my kenai trip in the fall Finn's isn't open. Amazing, and I want that wood fired over they have.
    I had the pizza at roads end a few times this summer when I was out Chiniak way and thought it was better than anything in town, if you haven't tried it yet FWIW

Default Re: Anchorage to homer

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Where is Finn`s? Is that the place out on the spit on one of the boardwalks?

I like Fat Olives, other than the sometimes spotty service. Cosmic is great too.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Where is Finn`s?
    Yep, Finn's is out on the Spit - great stuff! As for Fat Olives, their food is tasty in my limited experience, but a bit on the high priced end for what it is. I've yet to try Cafe Cups, but a dirty hippie that I know recommends it highly if one is looking to splurge a bit while in Homer.

I love how this went from how long to get there to where the best pizza is.

Well its winter

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, Finn's is out on the Spit - great stuff! As for Fat Olives, their food is tasty in my limited experience, but a bit on the high priced end for what it is. I've yet to try Cafe Cups, but a dirty hippie that I know recommends it highly if one is looking to splurge a bit while in Homer.
    IMHO Cups is the best restaurant in Homer, but it is a "splurge" if you're trying to be economical.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I love how this went from how long to get there to where the best pizza is.
    Well how much can you discuss how long it takes to drive from Anchorage to Homer? And he made the drive, so now he knows first hand.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com