Thread: Use of Metal detector Federal and State parks

Talking Use of Metal detector Federal and State parks

So.... is it Legal to use a metal detector in a State or Federal park? I know its okay to use a gold pan.

I've just started to do a little research on the net on this one. Thought I would check here to.

Thanks

The use of a metal detector is illegal in all federal National Parks unless you have permits for an authorized scientific, mining, or administrative activity.

Basically, assume any park noted as a "historic park" is off limits. Like Independence Mine State Historic Park. Metal detectors are illegal to have IN YOUR POSSESSION inside the park boundaries.

Alaska State Parks prohibit finding gold with any equipment other than a gold pan. That would technically include metal detectors though I have never heard of it being made an issue.

My best advice is assume parks are off limits to metal detecting unless you have specific information indicating otherwise.

Steve Herschbach
    www.DetectorProspector.com

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herschbach View Post
    The use of a metal detector is illegal in all federal National Parks unless you have permits for an authorized scientific, mining, or administrative activity.

Basically, assume any park noted as a "historic park" is off limits. Like Independence Mine State Historic Park. Metal detectors are illegal to have IN YOUR POSSESSION inside the park boundaries.

Alaska State Parks prohibit finding gold with any equipment other than a gold pan. That would technically include metal detectors though I have never heard of it being made an issue.

My best advice is assume parks are off limits to metal detecting unless you have specific information indicating otherwise.

Steve Herschbach
    www.DetectorProspector.com

Thank Steve Thats a real bummer though.....

I think the other thing that gets you is that they make it illegal to dig artifacts in these parks.
    So even if you could use the detector you could not dig the targets which basically make the detector worthless there anyway.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I hate to bum you out even more. Digging any artifact more than 100 years old on any federal land, park or not, is illegal and in many locations that is being pushed to 50 years. States are following suit. You can even get in hot water with the feds for digging relics on private property unless you have specific written permission from the property owner. I stick with prospecting where my rights are pretty clear cut under the mining laws. Relic hunting, you better be cautious.

The not bummer part is there is tons of land, state and federal, open to prospecting with a metal detector. Focus on what you can do. There is a lifetime of opportunity out there!

Steve Herschbach
    Find me on Facebook