View Poll Results: In 2012 which species did you see or hear more of?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wolf

9 64.29%
  • Coyote

5 35.71%

Thread: Poll: Which have you seen more of?

AniWahaya

Default Poll: Which have you seen more of?

Wolf vs. Coyote
    Please leave a comment if you've noticed any changes from years past.

Your poll will be skewed by NON-Alaskan input.

I am seeing coyotes closer to Fairbanks than I have in previous years.

Also saw 2 wolves who appeared to be putting a stalk on a family picking berries this fall 50 miles outta town. One wolf 100 yds or so on each side of them, hunkered down and crawling toward them. I was able to buzz up on my wheeler and spook them off. Had a talk with the (unarmed) Father about wilderness safety and told him to keep them babies close.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

AniWahaya

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Your poll will be skewed by NON-Alaskan input.
    Yeah, your right... was a dumb idea lol! I was curious because I've gotten different reports in different areas. Trapper 30 miles away was saying wolf,locally we have yotes (even saw one in town).
    Ha, I forget where I am..... Not only non-Alaskan responses (stupid considering it's an Alaskan Forum/Topic) but also the agenda ridden, saddle up with the shepherd types who wouldn't know how to answer a question honestly if their life depended on it. I remember when I first signed on this forum a question was presented to me, "So are you going to saddle up with ---- now!? LOL! Like a fricking recruitment... gotta love it!
    Anyhow, perhaps I'll post the question in a different forum.

BTW, you still have my favorite avatar!

Feel free to use it.............
    Attached Images Attached Images

AniWahaya

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Feel free to use it.............
    Sir, you just made my day.. Thanks!

In the last year I've seen three coyotes right here in Eagle River including one on the street I live on. It was pretty humorous, actually. He was standing on a little hill right behind a row of mailboxes that were plastered with missing pet posters. He sure didn't look like he had been going hungry. The other two were seen while skiing on local hills. I also saw one recently up past Eureka, though that one was promptly given a ride home in the back of my truck.

I did not see any wolves in 2012. I saw some sign, but no actual wolves.

In 2012 I saw quite a few wolves, no coyotes.

But 2012 was a pretty different year...most years it's more coyotes than wolves.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

AniWahaya

Brian: Perhaps we will end up with an urban coyote population; adaptable lil critters.
    Im really interested in 13&20....
    If it attaches, the eagle got a coyote snack..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think your poll may have a lot do with different areas of the state as well. Personally I have probably seen close to 50 or more wolves in AK, while I have only seen about 5 coyotes. But I don't live in and hunt in too many areas with a lot of coyotes. Most of the wolves I have seen have been out in the bush while I was out guiding. I'd imagine if I lived on the Kenai I'd probably see a lot more coyotes. I actually wish there were more coyotes where we lived. I think they would be really fun to hunt. But I guess if there were more of them there would be less fox and small game so I ain't gonna complain.

AniWahaya

[QUOTE=Bushwhack Jack;1235378]I think your poll may have a lot do with different areas of the state as well. Personally I have probably seen close to 50 or more wolves in AK, while I have only seen about 5 coyotes. But I don't live in and hunt in too many areas with a lot of coyotes. Most of the wolves I have seen have been out in the bush while I was out guiding. I'd imagine if I lived on the Kenai I'd probably see a lot more coyotes. I actually wish there were more coyotes where we lived. I think they would be really fun to hunt. But I guess if there were more of them there would be less fox and small game so I ain't gonna complain.[/

Thanks for the responses. Ive been trying to develop a theory so the input is appreciated.

I saw a coyote on Eagle River Rd. this past summer, so I pulled over to watch him for a bit. He was milling around on the north side of the rd. then quickly ran across and nailed one of the residents domestic white rabbits that was nibbling on some grass in their front yard. It all happened pretty quickly and was totally unexpected for both myself and the rabbit. Pretty cool to see it all go down, just up the street from Wally World.