Thread: Outhouse chemicals

Default Outhouse chemicals

I remembered the other day a chemical we used for green cleaning services (you know where we use a bunch of feel good buzz words so then we can charge you twice as much) when I was doing janitorial work. Our supplier said that they sell more of it to people using it for outhouses than anything else. It was called consume made by spartan chemical. The way it worked was beneficial bacteria ate the odor causing bacteria. According to our rep its supposed to work quite well for a digester in outhouses. http://www.spartanchemical.com/products/product/309704

Dose anyone use anything like this? and if so dose it prolong the life of your outhouse hole or help with smell?
    The only thing I can say about it is it worked pretty well on urine smells.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    I remembered the other day a chemical we used for green cleaning services (you know where we use a bunch of feel good buzz words so then we can charge you twice as much) when I was doing janitorial work. Our supplier said that they sell more of it to people using it for outhouses than anything else. It was called consume made by spartan chemical. The way it worked was beneficial bacteria ate the odor causing bacteria. According to our rep its supposed to work quite well for a digester in outhouses. http://www.spartanchemical.com/products/product/309704

Dose anyone use anything like this? and if so dose it prolong the life of your outhouse hole or help with smell?
    The only thing I can say about it is it worked pretty well on urine smells.
    When I worked in MN I worked for the DNR down there. We did some work at the state forest campgrounds.
    They used a product called NOR and it worked pretty good to keep the smell down. Man it had a strong odor but a good one.
    I don't think it helped with digesting though.
    You might also try putting some lime in every so often. Buy a bag and keep it in there and throw in a few scoops every month or so.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I used to go to Garness Industrial in ANCH and buy a septic digester called Superbugs. It was the best outhouse additive I ever used. The past couple of years I've used septic treatment products from Lowes or Home Depot. Same concept using bacteria or yeast bugs. It seems to be doing a good job. he best way to reduce the outhouse waste is to flood the hole with water, let drain, then add the Superbugs or Septic treatment. Obviously it works best during warm summer weather. I've tried lime and soda ash. Never found either one to be worth using. Live cultures work way better.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

A bucket of ash from the woodstove in the outhouse, a soup can to dump the ash in the hole after each use, and a flushing / flooding with the garden hose each spring and fall seems to work well for us.

I've been told a sprinkling of Rid-X, or similar, and a gallon of water every once in awhile will help with the "digesting" and having a good vent tube set-up. That's what I'm going to use for ours once completed.