Thread: Winch maintenance? Do you?

Default Winch maintenance? Do you?

I bought a used Kodiak 450 this summer and knew I was going to be doing some work on it this winter. While using the winch this summer I noted that it was "sticky" when in free wheel.

The Internet gave me some good ideas on how to do basic maintenance. Pretty simple to take a winch apart and clean and grease the gears.

This is what a warn/yamaha 2.5 winch looks like after 7 years at Jim creek and other valley locals.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358667283.218753.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358667304.468024.jpg

The drum is so messed up I can't put a synthetic cable on it, so a new winch will be installed and this one will be rebuilt and shelved for another use.

Wow... Is that mud/dirt inside that thing? What's the link for the Warn maint.

It was dried grease and silt. The only rust was in the motor. I used a whole can of engine block degreaser to soften this stuff up enough that it would scrub and wash off with a brass brush. I wish I had a buddy with a real parts cleaner, but this method worked in a bucket well enough. About three table spoons of sediment in in the bucket once I was done yesterday.

I found that guys in the states that mud bog a lot remove and service their winches a couple times a year. I don't do much mudding up here, but the prior owner of this rig spent a lot of time at Jim Creek - silt is everywhere on this thing.

I followed the steps in the Promark Offroad blog starting at Part 1. There are other threads and posts around the internet, but this is the most complete and photo detailed.

On one of my 4-wheeler the winch stop working and when I took it apart it was full of mud after I clean it up I seals the holes going into the gears. If you run the winch in the winter and it does not work it probably needs cleaning.

Interesting Thread. The winch on my 2001 Kodiak I purchsed in 2000 has got to be hurting after plowing and mudding all these years.
    With my luck if I tear it apart I'll break something that wasn't broke in the first place, like strip a screw or bolt; find out it was sealed fine still and I won't get it sealed right; forget how to or not be able to figure out hot to put it back together; etc...
    Funny I thought she gave up on me last week, but it was just that lil 2 post rectangle circuit breaker.. $3.50 and zoom zoom....

Guess I'll just keep running the ol pig....lol

Hey Guys, In am an old cz,, husky, bultako rider-- but did just got my self a suzuki 750 King quad - 2008 as new. Less than 2 hrs. on here-- What if anything other than watch fluids should do? Going to buy a H/D battery as the old one was switched out - Warren plow and big lights, Ect.
    And she is RED AS HELL, what should I do to keep her not going "'PINK"?
    This is my first tractor!!- even has rice and cane tires!!
    Thanks,
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    It was dried grease and silt. The only rust was in the motor. I used a whole can of engine block degreaser to soften this stuff up enough that it would scrub and wash off with a brass brush. I wish I had a buddy with a real parts cleaner, but this method worked in a bucket well enough. About three table spoons of sediment in in the bucket once I was done yesterday.

I found that guys in the states that mud bog a lot remove and service their winches a couple times a year. I don't do much mudding up here, but the prior owner of this rig spent a lot of time at Jim Creek - silt is everywhere on this thing.

I followed the steps in the Promark Offroad blog starting at Part 1. There are other threads and posts around the internet, but this is the most complete and photo detailed.

i put them in the dishwasher disassembled and they come clean as new, no need for them engine block degreasers.
    Semper Fi!

Hey Goo....you still own any of those Butaco's, CZ's or Huskies? (drool drool drool).

Derby don't let that winch intimidate ya from checking it over and cleaning it up inside,they really aren't all that complicated. I've even noticed on later winches how easy the brushes slide back in on the motor side. Really if you take it apart once and clean er up you'll have it figured out for the next time. I really am surprised how many don't maintain there winch out there....if you really need it and it won't work...well...its beating feet time.

To keep the color from fading use armor all a couple times each year, which will keep the UV damage to a minimum.

The owners manual should spell out what you need to do. Grease it up often. And definitely check the differential fluids if you put it into the water often. When changing mine out I found mostly water with a little bit of oil goop - never changed by the prior owner.

cwoods--Wish I did!! Were fun back then and all of sudden Honda started making dirt bikes. Sure am feeling all those past crashes these days!!
    Goo