Thread: Remington 6mm loads for Barnes 85 grain

Default Remington 6mm loads for Barnes 85 grain

I have been trying to make my 6mm shoot, but I can not seen to get better than 1.5 inches @ 100 yards. I have tried Speer and Nosler bullets, both did not shoot well. The Barnes seem to shoot the best. I have been using IMR 4350, for I have had great results with the powder in the past. Anyone out there have any ideas. The gun is an older model 700.

Thanks, Mike

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

What is the maximum COAL you can get in your rifle? Can you seat your bullets longer to reduce the "jump" to the lands? Have you tried adjusting the bullet seating depth to determine if that produces a difference in your rifle? How about bullet weight variances? Or +/- powder weight to determine variances? Make a few 5-6 bullet lots with minor noted differences, shoot them over your chrono and review the outcome.

0.020 off the lands for regular jacketed bullets, but more like 0.060 off the lands for Barnes.

I've got an older Rem 788 in 6MM that I love. It isn't a tack driver, but will shoot into an inch fairly regular. Which Nosler bullets did you try? Using IMR4350, you should be able to get 80gr and above to shoot under an inch. I even got the Sierra 90gr FMJ to shoot an inch using H380.

To answer your question though, we need a bit more info. Is the gun new-to-you? Are you an experienced reloader and have you successfully loaded rounds for other guns and get them to shoot sub-MOA? Do you know of any loads the gun will shoot into sub-MOA?

The first thing you need to try to figure out is whether or not it is the gun, or your reloading process.

Thanks for the info. To answer your questions, I have reloaded for 30 years and have numerous rifle that shoot sub moa. The rifle was obtained second hand and the owner stated that he got it in the early 60's. I have tried speer 85, nosler 100 and now barnes 85. The Barnes shoot the best. I did reload some Barnes the other day and lengthen them, have not been to the range. But I can tell you, they can be no longer. I believe they are 2.82 oal. It very well could be the gun. Shots at the range are from a lead sled.

It is just a cool old gun that I would like to get to shoot a little better.

Mike

Mike, I have an old Ruger No.1 in 6MM Remington. I couldn't get it to shoot well with several different bullets. The throat on that rifle is long and I tried a lot of different lengths and it would not shoot worth a darn. I tried the Barnes 80 GN TTSX and landed .5 MOA using 49 grains of RL19, federal Match primer in remington brass. C.O.A.L. was 2.852. Not sure if that would fit your magazine or the chamber, but that was the magic for mine. Just thought I put that out there. I was ready to get rid of the rifle even though it has some wood with caharacter. My dad gave me the rifle so that is why I stuck with it so long. I understand how frustrating it is. Good luck.

Mike, it sure sounds like you know what you are doing...sorry to imply otherwise. I guess if that's the case I'd lean towards a really fouled bore or just general issues with the bedding and barrel. Good luck. I also enjoy working with those older pieces...I have a thing for 788s myself...never had an old 700 though.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

A few more thoughts.

Have you bore scoped the chamber and throat? Is it worn?

If so, You may consider having the barrel shortened at the threads then recut the threads/chamber to recondition the throat and reduce the distance off the lands. This would also allow to you set the bullets with a shorter OAL.

I don't know for sure, but my experience comparing the 6mm and 243, has convinced me the factory throats on the 6mm were cut long. Having them reconditioned/reset could prove to make a better shooting rifle for you.

Have you checked the twist rate on your rifle? If its marked as a 6mm it should have a factory 1/9 twist rate.

Ripper, did not take it the wrong way at all. Just trying to figure out this old gun. I too like the look and feel of weather piece of wood. I will try shooting the longer shells and will look again at the bore and the throat. If I can come up with some R19 I will try that load also. Something to tinker with on a cold winter night.

Thanks, Mike

Sent you a pm.

BTW, the older cartridges were loaded with about 40.0 grains IMR 4320 pushing a 87 grain spire point (circa 1972).

I didn't have that powder on hand so loaded up a few with 85 grain Nosler partitions with IMR4831 and a few with RL-19. For the loads we had made up and then tested that day, 48.9 grains of RL19 or 47.3 grains of IMR4831 showed the most promise.

Good luck!