Thread: where to buy Speer bullets in Anchorage

Default where to buy Speer bullets in Anchorage

Hey, so I'm just getting into this rifle bullet reloading, and have been researching the choices out there for bullets, powder etc., and it seems like Speer is one of the more affordable choices at $30-ish for boxes of 100. But selection is a bit limited at Sportsmans and Mountain View. Is there any place in town that would have a better selection? I tried Great Northern Guns and they had a good selection of powder, but they didn't even carry Speer bullets. I'm looking for 165gr boattail soft points for the 30-06 in particular.

Thanks!

If you can't find any Speers and if your still looking for a great value, I would suggest getting some Sierra Game Kings. They're inexpensive, accurate and you can't beat the price. Good luck.

If you need some help give me a PM. I just got done reloading 100 rounds of Barnes TSX's for the 300 WSM.

Robert

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    Hey, so I'm just getting into this rifle bullet reloading, and have been researching the choices out there for bullets, powder etc., and it seems like Speer is one of the more affordable choices at $30-ish for boxes of 100. But selection is a bit limited at Sportsmans and Mountain View. Is there any place in town that would have a better selection? I tried Great Northern Guns and they had a good selection of powder, but they didn't even carry Speer bullets. I'm looking for 165gr boattail soft points for the 30-06 in particular.

Thanks!
    I suggest you order from midwayusa.com.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thank you, but MidwayUSA shows they're out of stock with no backorder, and CheaperThanDirt applies a shipping cost that doubles the price of the bullets!

Thanks for the tip re. Sierra GameKings, I'll check that out. The bullets look identical to Speer's BTSP but has a lower ballistic coefficient, does that make a big difference?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Graf & Sons , Natchez ????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Graf & Sons , Natchez ????

Smitty of the North
    Yeah, both those websites say they're sold out! Interesting, on Speer's actual web site, they list Great Northern Guns as one of the dealers near me, but when I went in there they said they don't carry Speer products...

NthrnA,

Remember that the higher the Ballistic Coefficient the better flight it has going down range. I see the Speer bullet you were looking at does indeed have a boat tail and is a spire point like the Game King would be. Without looking at the two bullets and comparing the balistics I can't imagine the difference in trajectory would be much.

I've shot a lot of Speer 06, 150s at deer and really like the bullets.

I haven't shot the 165 Hornady, but have other sizes and weights of Hornady bullets and had very good results. They're in the same "less expensive" class that work well.

When you can't get exactly what you want, anything is better than nothing.

Not Anchorage, but the sportsman's in Wasilla has a good stock of Speer bullets. 3 Bears carries them also.

If you're looking for a good value on basic bullets, look for Remington Core-loct. Usually at a good price, usually pretty darn accurate, and a good hunting bullet.

Shoot me a PM, I've got a bunch of Nosler, Speer, Hornady, .30 cal and others I'm getting rid of...Chris in Anchorage...