Thread: Legal Barrel Lenght on differant rifles

Default Legal Barrel Lenght on differant rifles

From what I understand it is 18" for a shotgun, and 16" for a rifle. and anything under this is supposed to be regestered as a handgun, is this the way it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    From what I understand it is 18" for a shotgun, and 16" for a rifle. and anything under this is supposed to be regestered as a handgun, is this the way it is?
    Barrel length doesn't have anything to do with being a pistol- if it lacks a stock meant to be fired from the shoulder that is what makes it a rifle v. pistol.

Rifles and shotguns with barrels less than the prescribed lengths can't be registered as pistols but have to go on Class 3 as short barreled shotguns or rifles. Certain design features may move it into the "AOW" (any other weapon) category but I'm not particularly familiar with them.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

anything under this is supposed to be regestered as a handgun, is this the way it is?

WHAT do you mean by "Registered"........????

LOL AGL, Thanks hodgeman, but whats leagal? Is it that if it has a stock ( say a shotgun ) that the barrel has to be a certain lenght? and if it is a rifle that has a pistol grip it can be any lenght? (and/or either).

I know the answer ( or thought I did til you brought that up, lol ) trying to bring up this subject for those that don't know whats legal and not.

Yes if it has a stock or way to attach a stock it is a long gun, otherwise it’s a handgun.

Barrel length is measured inside the barrel with a rod, from the bolt/breach face to the muzzle. Overall length is measured inline with the bore not diagonally and with any collapsing or folding stock fully extended not retracted.

Rifle 16” or longer barrel and overall length 26” or longer.
    Shotgun 18” or longer barrel and overall length 26” or longer.

Easy to miss measure these so if your dragging out the hacksaw leave extra, like half an inch.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

batf.gov and read the FAQ.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Re: Legal Barrel Lenght on differant rifles

The big question is why? My canoe gun project was 17 and that's about as short as I would go on a rifle.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

LOL AGL, Thanks hodgeman, but whats leagal? Is it that if it has a stock ( say a shotgun ) that the barrel has to be a certain lenght? and if it is a rifle that has a pistol grip it can be any lenght? (and/or either).
    No no no... For a shot gun even if you have a pistol grip on it the barrel still has to be 18 inches. Anything shorter than 18" on a shotgun is a considered a Short barreled shotgun.

An SBE is any stocked rifle with a barrel of less than 16". I have a couple and yes they are registered with ATF Form 1. I also have couple other stamps. And as to the canoe gun is a 17" shotgun it needs a stamp.
    The SBR config of the AR rifle is very popular today and lots of stamps are issued. It takes about 10 to 11 months to get the stamp. Even suppresdors stamps.
    Mike