Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sportsmanship Warehouse crowds

Default Sportsmanship Warehouse crowds

So, we stopped in at SW today for fun.....you would have thought it was a Xmas sale day as the parking lot was full. Lots of people inside, not many with anything in their hands, but does anyone want to guess where the crowd was? If you guessed the gun counter, you were right! Lines of people waiting their turn, lots of additional empty spots on the ammo shelves today....

There was a small seminar going on for reloading, but not a lot of folks were attending. Good theory til you need materials to DO your reloading. Lots of pistol sales, mostly 9mm, however there want any ammo to go with your shiny new purchase.

Looks like the .270 and 7mm owners are still in luck as the ammo was still plentiful. A good handful of 300 shells were still available too. There is a list of quantity restrictions on your ammo purchases as well. Laces one walking away with a pretty grim outlook.

LoL, sounds like fun, Gun control at its best. ( get em while you can) I think you will see this alot more in the next few weeks, but buying ammo is going to get harder. (stock up on the reloading supplies that your guns shoot )

Yeah, I went in there last week to look at a 22 for my kid. Couldn't get anyone to hand me a rifle. I give up on that place.

You have to go in daily if your looking for reloading components. Whats on the shelf today may not be in an hour. I have been trying to get some powder for a couple weeks with no luck. Primers are scarce too
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I picked up a few items at Arctic Ammo on the Palmer/Wasilla Highway. He has powder and some primers (depending on what you're looking for). I picked up a couple jugs that were suitable for my AR's in 5.56 and 6.8.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My problem is that I am looking for CFE223 powder. I loaded a bunch of rounds already and don't want to start switching powders around. That stuff wasn't the easiest to find before all this nonsense.

I hav'nt been there in awhile but you might try www.midwayusa.com to see if they have it in stock.

I was in SW last Wednesday, and the shelves were bare then. Most ammo had onsies or twosies and the purchase restriction signs were large and placed all over. Reloading components were almost all gone. Good thing that I have always qualified for the tv show "Hoarders" since many years ago when it comes to reloading and ammo....

Default Sportsmanship Warehouse crowds

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    My problem is that I am looking for CFE223 powder.
    Have you called boondocks in Eagle river, mountain view, or Great Northern guns? They don't have huge amounts of shelf space but they have more on their shelves than SW does right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Have you called boondocks in Eagle river, mountain view, or Great Northern guns? They don't have huge amounts of shelf space but they have more on their shelves than SW does right now.
    I havent since I am in the valley but I will check it out, thanks a lot!

Glad that between my father and I since we have combined everything..... Large rifle primers, 15000. Large pistol, 10000, thousands of casings for rifle and pistol, everything .25- .45 cal. Thousands of bullets in multiple weights and flavors for said cals. Powder? Plenty. Yeah we are good....I think. This is stuff that is mostly leftovers from years of purchases and of course gun show deals....guess we are lucky. We are currently reloading all of our 3006 stuff now, jus finished 6mm. Then moving on to .300 win mag and so on so on till we see what's leftover after we run out of good brass.

Release Lake Trout

Default Re: Sportsmanship Warehouse crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Glad that between my father and I since we have combined everything..... Large rifle primers, 15000. Large pistol, 10000, thousands of casings for rifle and pistol, everything .25- .45 cal. Thousands of bullets in multiple weights and flavors for said cals. Powder? Plenty.
    You should start a business Lol

sent from my igloo

I went back in there today (glutton for punishmentI guess). I thought that, at 10"30 in hte morning on a weekday I'd be able to at least ask an associate about a 22 rifle for my kid. Nope. It's gotten completely out of hand there. If you're not buying an assault weapon or semi auto handgun, then you're just not welcome. I can't get people to talk to me. Plus, they are STILL out of 22LR ammo. (So really, I need not buy a rifle if I can't buy ammo for it anyway.) I'm considering writing an email to the home office. At any rate, all of the madness surrounding guns this year has pushed me out of the market. I discussed it with several family members this week, and I decided to just give up on getting him more into shooting this year. So now, instead of this being the year he got his own rifle (year before last was his first bow), this is now the year he gets his own kayak from REI.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I went back in there today (glutton for punishmentI guess). I thought that, at 10"30 in hte morning on a weekday I'd be able to at least ask an associate about a 22 rifle for my kid. Nope. It's gotten completely out of hand there. If you're not buying an assault weapon or semi auto handgun, then you're just not welcome. I can't get people to talk to me. Plus, they are STILL out of 22LR ammo. (So really, I need not buy a rifle if I can't buy ammo for it anyway.) I'm considering writing an email to the home office. At any rate, all of the madness surrounding guns this year has pushed me out of the market. I discussed it with several family members this week, and I decided to just give up on getting him more into shooting this year. So now, instead of this being the year he got his own rifle (year before last was his first bow), this is now the year he gets his own kayak from REI.
    There is marlin lever action .22 for sale for 150.00 on this very fourm you spend so much time on. You might not get the blank stare from the seller like you would at SW but I guy can't have everything.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Can't put all the blame on SW. They are in new territory on the huge rush of people wanting guns. They are trying there best to keep things stocked but have the same issues we are having getting there stock. It sucks but it is what it is.

Don't be discourged about buying the boy a rifle. As previously mentioned there are rifles for sale by private individuels and ammo can be found if you look hard enough. I just seen some the other day in the valley. Wasn't a brick but it was ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    You should start a business Lol sent from my igloo
    Ha well if there's one thing we are both low on..... It's American dollars......

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    There is marlin lever action .22 for sale for 150.00 on this very fourm you spend so much time on. You might not get the blank stare from the seller like you would at SW but I guy can't have everything.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm not really looking for a lever gun at the moment (although I do love lever guns!) Right now I'm pretty sprecifically looking for a tube fed bolt gun and/or a Savage 42 22/410 O/U. (A lever gun would be fine for me, and perhaps I should consider it, but they're too heavy for the boy.)

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Can't put all the blame on SW. They are in new territory on the huge rush of people wanting guns. They are trying there best to keep things stocked but have the same issues we are having getting there stock. It sucks but it is what it is.

Don't be discourged about buying the boy a rifle. As previously mentioned there are rifles for sale by private individuels and ammo can be found if you look hard enough. I just seen some the other day in the valley. Wasn't a brick but it was ammo.
    I understand that, I used to work at one of their competitor's gun counters, so I know how it can be. (Well, not this insanity of the current climate but retail in general.) What I'm talking about is how they totally ignore anyone not asking about an AR or a Glock and/or how the management hasn't seen fit to add hours to the gun counter so that they can have people available to show the cheap 22 or at least answer a question or put up a sign about when shelves might be restocked. I'm sick of randomly dropping in just to see. It ticks me off for a retailer to show an obvious preference for one customer over another.

Incidentally, I'm not totally freaked out about the lack of 22 ammo. I have about 800 rds; I just hope this insanity doesn't last much longer.

It ticks me off for a retailer to show an obvious preference for one customer over another.
    They why continue to shop there? In most cases I'll give a retailer a few chances. If I notice a trend that I don't care for (such as the one you note above), I'll find another store to frequent. For firearms, Sportsman's Warehouse is pretty dang far down my list.

Incidentally, I'm not totally freaked out about the lack of 22 ammo. I have about 800 rds; I just hope this insanity doesn't last much longer.
    Hope you don't shoot much. Everyone I have heard says it will be at least a year until there is anything like the possibility of normal ammo supplies. Including, and maybe especially, .22LR.

And if you didn't believe he wanted to fundamentally change this country before, you should now. I would suggest stocking up as needed with at least 4 years worth of ammo. But it has been suggested that I can be a bit of a pessimist.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    They why continue to shop there? In most cases I'll give a retailer a few chances. If I notice a trend that I don't care for (such as the one you note above), I'll find another store to frequent. For firearms, Sportsman's Warehouse is pretty dang far down my list.
    ^^^^^^^^What Brian said. Or in other words, vote with your wallet. Iíll bet if you walked into Wild West, Gun Runners, Great Northern, AK Tactical, Ammo King, Mt View, or Boondocks or any other local shop in Anchorage you will get one on one attention, get to fondle every weapon you ask to, get all the free advise you want (from a salesman that knows). Stay long enough and probably get a good (or not so good) cup of coffee, and if youíre still there at lunch they may even offer you whatever they are having. Not saying that Iíve never been to SW but there is something to be said for supporting our locally owned and operated shops. Saw some .22 ammo in some of them this last weekend also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast