Thread: Is it normal?

Default Is it normal?

I just started in reloading and I just want to know if it is normal that you cant find small pistol primers anyplace?

At the moment, while everybody is FREAKING OUT, it's difficult to find many components on the shelves. Normally, small pistol primers shouldn't be much harder to come by than any other primers.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I REALLY don't understand the lack of small pistol primers. In the last few days I've been able to get large and small rifle primers as well as large pistol. I thought those would go before small pistol.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Maybe there is some truth behind the stories of DHS ordering 1.5 billion rounds of pistol ammo. That would eat up a lot of primers - about 1.5 billion if my math is right . Even if those stories are false, there has certainly been a run on small pistol primers.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Maybe there is some truth behind the stories of DHS ordering 1.5 billion rounds of pistol ammo. That would eat up a lot of primers - about 1.5 billion if my math is right . Even if those stories are false, there has certainly been a run on small pistol primers.
    During the past year the Gov did issue several solicitations for bid for 357 Sig training and duty ammunition for DHS. This is nothing out of the ordinary; the Gov is continually purchasing ammunition, (and periodically issues solicitations for contract bids as old contracts expire), for LEO and military and this would not have caused a sudden shortage on the shelves. Civilian hoarding is the only variable that has abruptly increased.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    During the past year the Gov did issue several solicitations for bid for 357 Sig training and duty ammunition for DHS. This is nothing out of the ordinary; the Gov is continually purchasing ammunition, (and periodically issues solicitations for contract bids as old contracts expire), for LEO and military and this would not have caused a sudden shortage on the shelves. Civilian hoarding is the only variable that has abruptly increased.

"During the past year the Gov did issue several solicitations for bid for 357 Sig training and duty ammunition for DHS."

Not only 357 Sig but also .40 SW and others. Why where those solicitations for HP (reportedly) rounds if they are to be used for training?

"This is nothing out of the ordinary; the Gov is continually purchasing ammunition, (and periodically issues solicitations for contract bids as old contracts expire), for LEO and military and this would not have caused a sudden shortage on the shelves."

The reports I have read have nothing to do with the military - only for DHS and the sub-departments under it's control - ICE, etc along with smaller qty's like 174K rounds for the Social Security Administration. So are you saying that 1.5 billion rounds (if in fact that is true and you have not disputed that) is "nothing out of the ordinary?"

"Civilian hoarding is the only variable that has abruptly increased."

So that statement answers my question about whether the government is ordering more ammo than in the past. You say no, it is civilian hoarding that is responsible. So based on your opinion, the government isn't ordering any more ammo than they have in the past (whether it's 1.5 billion rounds or whatever).

Not trying to argue with you taiga, just trying to get the OP's question figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    "During the past year the Gov did issue several solicitations for bid for 357 Sig training and duty ammunition for DHS."

Not only 357 Sig but also .40 SW and others. Why where those solicitations for HP (reportedly) rounds if they are to be used for training?
    Well, I would have to say they were reportedly for hollow points, because people make stuff up, post it to the internet, and other people believe it. In fact, the training ammo was spec'd as FMJ.
    The projectile shall exhibit a fully encapsulated metal jacket design.
    https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=0

Anyone who really wishes to know the truth about these things can look it up for themselves just as easily as I can. I'm not inclined to debunk every nuance of every ridiculous internet rumor that pops up here. People can and will believe whatever they wish.
    #Resist

Whatever the reason, I've had a hard time getting them for at least the past 6 months. Either they don't order enough or someone has been buying them all up as soon as they hit the shelves.

FWIW, the DHS cornering the market on ammo rumor has been going on for a long time. It is bogus.

You can do the research yourself, but I have resorted to using small rifle primers in my 9mm and .40 loads recently due to the lack of small pistol primers since the election. I reduced loads by .5 grn and I haven't had any issues. DO NOT go the other direction as small pistol primers generally have thinner cups and an AR style rifle can pierce them.

The same does not go for large rifle and large pistol primers, though.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We had the same problem after Nov., 2008. I ended up haveing to order 5,000 small pistol, magnum primers. Had no problem gettin' any other size.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If the shortage is due to the stores being unable to order them, then government orders might very well be the reason.

That seems likely to me, if the shortage has lasted, but I don't have access, to sales info from any place, let alone, all over the country.

Are there huge guv'ment orders for cartridges that use Large Pistol primers?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Just speculating here, but wonder if part of the problem is the switch by some ammo manufacturers to using small pistol primers in 45 auto?? Not sure how wide spread this is as I reload all my 45 and have not bought any factory ammo other than defense ammo in a long time. I have noticed over the last couple years, I end up with quite a bit more small pistol primed 45 brass I have picked up at the range. This could possibly account for some of the increased demand.

Nope, not normal but it does seem to happen for a while after a leftist president is elected or reelected. Just hang in there a while and the primers will return. Then stock up BEFORE the next run. As you are a new loader, I could turn loose of 3 or 4 hundred to get you going if that would help. Let me know with a PM if you want them.