Thread: Kodiak Uganik Bear Hunt _ Boat Launch

Default Kodiak Uganik Bear Hunt _ Boat Launch

After some dire health problems this winter, I'm finally beginning to formulate a plan for my spring bear hunt on Kodiak, Uganik Bay. I am curious, is there a viable boat launch/ramp located in Anton-Larson or is Kodiak the only real launch accessible from the road system? (I'll be launching a 22' Hewescraft from a tandem axle trailer). Also, curious how much gas I should take with me and where should I get gas as I travel past Port Lions. My boat has a single 150hp 4-stroke yamaha. Any other input would be greatly appreciated. You can even PM me if you're hesitant to post. Thanks.

How much fuel do you carry, highly doubt it's enough?? That's a long run, way longer than I would attempt in that boat and you can find some nasty weather on that side of the island. Port Lions would be your last fuel stop and it's a little out of the way from Anton Larson and wouldn't really be any hep to you. Also, there's no one over there to help you if you have boat trouble. I highly recommend against running that boat over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    How much fuel do you carry, highly doubt it's enough?? That's a long run, way longer than I would attempt in that boat and you can find some nasty weather on that side of the island. Port Lions would be your last fuel stop and it's a little out of the way from Anton Larson and wouldn't really be any hep to you. Also, there's no one over there to help you if you have boat trouble. I highly recommend against running that boat over there.
    The fuel will not matter he will be Crab Food before he runs out of fuel.

Strongly advise you have a Herring Boat or Herring Tender deliver your boat, and you fly out to your boat.

I would suggest flying out with an inflatable and a small outboard. PM me if you have any questions I just did your hunt this past spring...
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Naw, I don't think it's too much at all, depending on the operators experience,...but Uganik is Not a major shot from Anton's

Pretty protected from a lot of weather until you get to the top of Kupreanof, then one Cape to scoot around
    and you're back inside almost,....Only problem would be a Northwesterly, so you wait for it
    I really don't think that is a big deal for a 22 ft boat

There is some kind of launch ramp in Anton Larsen bay,...pretty solid one at that
    but you need to get your mileage figured out on a chart somewhere,
    and know all about your fuel consumption, on your own, that's standard preparation,
    gotta KNOW It

as opposed to asking around on here, and as Abel says, Port Lions isn't going to help you, that's just outside the bay
    there will be NO Fuel on that run, at all, roundtrip

Figure It Out better than that for yourself,...but you better be able to bring plenty of fuel,..factoring in all kinds of contingencies

Also, you will be alone, that time of year once you turn west at the top of Kupreanof, expect to be able to take care of yourself

There's always commercial traffic on the VHF traveling Kupreanof and the Shelikof,
    but calling them cause you're low on fuel,...would be a really foolish option,...like not an option
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Crab food ... come on guys; you're putting the jinx on me. I'm going over with a friend who's done the same hunt three times (from a larger boat). My boat has an 80 gallon tank and I planned on taking an additional 80 gallons. I just thought if I could keep the boat lighter, I could pick gas up somewhere's around Port Lions or one of the canneries. I do plan on reviewing the charts in detail and going through my boat with a fine tooth comb. I was just hoping to get some good comments back that I could build on; maybe from someone who has 'first hand' done that trip or route. I do appreciate the comments; and I do know it's a serious run at an uncertain time of the year. I believe it's between 50 and 60 miles from Kodiak boat launch.

I was interested in the launch at Anton Larson but someone I work with told me it was really in poor shape about three years ago, and they had to launch from the beach. Anyone used the Anton Larson ramp more recently? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Truenorthed View Post
    Crab food ... come on guys; you're putting the jinx on me. I'm going over with a friend who's done the same hunt three times (from a larger boat). My boat has an 80 gallon tank and I planned on taking an additional 80 gallons. I just thought if I could keep the boat lighter, I could pick gas up somewhere's around Port Lions or one of the canneries. I do plan on reviewing the charts in detail and going through my boat with a fine tooth comb. I was just hoping to get some good comments back that I could build on; maybe from someone who has 'first hand' done that trip or route. I do appreciate the comments; and I do know it's a serious run at an uncertain time of the year. I believe it's between 50 and 60 miles from Kodiak boat launch.

I was interested in the launch at Anton Larson but someone I work with told me it was really in poor shape about three years ago, and they had to launch from the beach. Anyone used the Anton Larson ramp more recently? Thanks again.

Me Sorry, Me Bad puppy. The truth is that I am terrified of that water, even up in the bays. The only thing I really enjoy doing in Uganik Buy is keeping brown things out of camp, drinking tequila, and howling at the moon (OK, mjm316........So what if sometimes I howl at the Sun or Fog, or Otters, maybe a fox...........and let the record indicate that it was NOT funny you leaving me on that Island for bait).

Those Canneries you see on the charts are not open for business anymore,
    might be a watchman around, but it's just about a guarantee, no Fuel beyond Port Lions

I was up in there last August, and there was nobody but one late season setnetter team around

I haven't seen that ramp in Anton Larsen in a long time, so can't tell ya,
    I'm driving over there sometime next week, will try to remember to take a look at that for you

sorry to jump on your experience level like that, it seemed suspect for the question,
    as if you hadn't looked at the charts at all yet, but is a reasonable question

I'd add this much, Any kind of Northerly weather will make that really a tough Cape to turn,
    even the top half of Kupreanof can get pretty tough if it's funneling down through there

as that is not an uncommon wind direction for winter/spring, be prepared to wait, or suffer some serious bucking
    and a heck of a tidal chaos scene on Outlet Cape the top of the Kup Peninsula

If you plan to shoot across to Cape Uganik, that's another story, as you can imagine,
    no big deal in Southerly weather, but you'll be heading back into Viekoda in Northerly and it won't be nice for a while

So, how fast do you run, and what's the fuel consumption at a cruise ?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Launched a 26' landing craft out of Anton last fall no worries as long as there are no road (snow/ice) issues in the spring! Heading out for an Alliulik Bear myself in the Spring. Best of luck!

I worked in Uganik in 68 and 69, we took a 16 foot skiff out to Noisy Island, around the corner it can get nasty, 20 foot seas, long rolling, power up and slide down. The weather can change fast, and turn nasty, we ran out of fuel once due to a cylinder hitting the spark plug, stopped at a gill net site and got some white gas, put a little oil in and limped home to the cannery. Great area, lots of bears, they like to eat the butter clams over on the spit across from the cannery site. Mush bay to the South has a great stream that has a huge run of pink salmon. The tidal flat is much bigger there also. Have fun, lots of memories, the cannery is gone but there is a lodge there now. It used to be $99.00 round trip to Kodiak and back from the cannery on a plane.

Thanks kodiakrain ... can I send you a PM; it sounds like you live on Kodiak. And yes, I'd be grateful if you report back on the condition of the ramp in Anton-Larson. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Those Canneries you see on the charts are not open for business anymore,
    might be a watchman around, but it's just about a guarantee, no Fuel beyond Port Lions

I was up in there last August, and there was nobody but one late season setnetter team around

I haven't seen that ramp in Anton Larsen in a long time, so can't tell ya,
    I'm driving over there sometime next week, will try to remember to take a look at that for you

sorry to jump on your experience level like that, it seemed suspect for the question,
    as if you hadn't looked at the charts at all yet, but is a reasonable question

I'd add this much, Any kind of Northerly weather will make that really a tough Cape to turn,
    even the top half of Kupreanof can get pretty tough if it's funneling down through there

as that is not an uncommon wind direction for winter/spring, be prepared to wait, or suffer some serious bucking
    and a heck of a tidal chaos scene on Outlet Cape the top of the Kup Peninsula

If you plan to shoot across to Cape Uganik, that's another story, as you can imagine,
    no big deal in Southerly weather, but you'll be heading back into Viekoda in Northerly and it won't be nice for a while

So, how fast do you run, and what's the fuel consumption at a cruise ?

Sure PM box should be clear, I do live on island

GD makes a good point also,...that road over the pass, there can be totally closed by a snow dump
    or major Icy depending on the most recent weather

something to consider

Ramp over at Anton larson is fine for that boat, but the road to it, ya, that can be fun if it's icy and wet.