Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vapex wall tent reviews?

Default vapex wall tent reviews?

Im looking at buying a wall tent for hunting and general use in alaska. I was looking at the arctic ovens and i think they are nice but a little to expensive for what they are. I was looking at getting a wall tent thats made of the vapex material, 12x15. They are alot cheaper. I can get the frame locally made of aluminum and i would buy a wood stove and fly for it. Has anyone used one of these? Or does anyone have recomendations? I will be hunting moose, bear and camping. It will have to get packed in on a atv trailer(walking beam) or on a side by side. I plan on 10 day moose hunts, maybe longer if needed. It will be 2-4 people staying in it. Most likely 2.

overkill, but thats just me. i neved like a tent that huge for 2 people. AO are spendy, but worth it if your gonna be playing in cold weather. your almost better off to go with a 10x10 or 12x12 dome and heat it with a mr buddy, keep the wood smoke smell down if you care about that kinda stuff. just alot more simple to me...but some guys love the wall tents...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

yeah i agree that a 12x15 is probably to big, but the hang up is that it will be used for famiy camping also. the vapex wall tent with fly and stove is still under 100 lbs. I was under the impression that the little propane heaters produced alot of moisture and thats what im trying to avoid. Do you have any recomendations on a 10x10? i probaly would get a 12x12 as thats almost the size of a 12x15, but i definatley would consider a cheaper 10x10. And after a rainy year like last year i would be hate to be stuck in a small tent with everythng wet and no way to dry it. Wood smoke doesnt bother me, id it spooks the game i was unaware of that.

I have the 10'x10' flex bow and it a stout quaility tent.
    http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

i looked at that kodiak canvas, it looks nice.

Doesn't look like there's a way to heat that Kodiak tent....but it does look like a good set up.

I talked with Alaska Tent and Tarp this fall and was looking into a 8or 10 x 10 with 5 foot walls (compared to 4) and a wood stove.....started the savingsprogram so I've got enough to order before deer season next year. A dry heat source in wet SE is pretty nice.

i use the cabela's XWT tents in 10x and 12x and heat them with mr buddy heaters..they hold up to any weather and theres no a problem with water from the propane. its a double wall tent. you might have water issues with a single wall though. but i don't like wood smoke smell on all my gear and i don't like having to pack wood to some places for heat or having to "get a fire going" i want to turn on my heater and have heat...without leaving my sleeping bag!!
    Master guide 212

Its not hard to put a stove jack in a canvas tent.I use a small kerosene stove.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    overkill, but thats just me. i neved like a tent that huge for 2 people. AO are spendy, but worth it if your gonna be playing in cold weather. your almost better off to go with a 10x10 or 12x12 dome and heat it with a mr buddy, keep the wood smoke smell down if you care about that kinda stuff. just alot more simple to me...but some guys love the wall tents...
    Jake, have you ever been concerned with carbon monoxide or do you think you get enough ventilation in the tent to alleviate the problem?

nope never worried about it, a big tent like that i leave my roof flap open a bit all the time and my bottom door flap just a bit to be on the safe side. i don't run it at night while i'm sleeping but i've never gotten headaches or anything that made me think i was getting overloaded.
    the only time i ran outa air in a tent and almost died was from snowfall...
    Master guide 212

nope never worried about it, a big tent like that i leave my roof flap open a bit all the time and my bottom door flap just a bit to be on the safe side. i don't run it at night while i'm sleeping but i've never gotten headaches or anything that made me think i was getting overloaded.
    the only time i ran outa air in a tent and almost died was from snowfall...
    Thanks.....

so i went back to ak tent and tarp yesterday, and the nice lady sorta tried talking me out of the vapex............. she said for huntng she recomends the canvas. So maybe after all the vapex isnt the latest greatest? So i think i will just go with good old fashioned canvas. And i think i am going to go with the 12x14 because we will have about 10 kids staying with us this summer so we will need the room.

Ten kids I would be looking at a one man tent

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    so i went back to ak tent and tarp yesterday, and the nice lady sorta tried talking me out of the vapex............. she said for huntng she recomends the canvas. So maybe after all the vapex isnt the latest greatest? So i think i will just go with good old fashioned canvas. And i think i am going to go with the 12x14 because we will have about 10 kids staying with us this summer so we will need the room.
    With the varied purposes ... I'd look into other tent types than wall tents. If you're looking for a covered area for a mass of 10+ people, some cordage and tarps would be sufficient. Then each to their own tent(s) for the night.

We have a wall tent, and we use it when camping near the road. For Alaska, it's just not as practical as other tent options due to its volume and weight. And then when the camping is done it needs to dry. We set up out side on a dry sunny day with a space heater to dry it out before putting it away. Again, the time after a hunt in Alaska might be when there are two or more weeks of rain, so drying the canvas might take awhile. If you have an ample sized garage or access to a warehouse, the drying effort would be less.

For Alaska and hunting, I'd consider a tent that will hold up to the wind and rain and then get two of them. Lots of options out there that pack down better and that would be more versatile than wall tents.

It does have me thinking about one of those cabelas tents, a guide in kenai was saying that's all he uses now and they work great. So i am looking at that option.... Maybe a wall tent is to big.... I have a 12x25 huge vynil quonsun hut style from tent and tarp with stove already, maybe I should just use that for kiddie and get smaller one for me.

a guide in kenai recommended the cabela's tents...man wish a guide in here coulda saved you the trouble...
    Master guide 212

Check out the Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak tents http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104481180. I bought the 12x20 last year and it was awesome. Used it for a two week hunting trip last fall it rained, snowed, and we had 60 to 70 mph winds and the tent held up great nerver leaked at all. The wind blow so hard that it was pulling are stacks up and we had to put big rocks on the stacks to keep them in the soft ground.

The tent is much light than a canvas wall tent and easer to set up. I have used canvas wall tents before and after using this I will never go back.

a guide in kenai recommended the cabela's tents...man wish a guide in here coulda saved you the trouble...
    my apologies! I didnt know you are a guide.

hunting in ak, I have narrowed it down to that tent and the big horn III. I think i am going to stick to the 12x12's as i think they will be also easier to heat.
    How many people do you have in it and how are you heating it?And with that size do you need the vestiblue? I was thinking that if i got the 12x12 big horn i might want the vestiblue, but thats more expensive than just buying the 12x20 alaknak. I will for sure have 3 people in my hunting party for spring and fall.

NOOOOO big horn tents!!!!
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast