Thread: PWS Forest Service Cabin [Port Chalmers]

Default PWS Forest Service Cabin [Port Chalmers]

Green Island was booked by the time my reminder went off today.
    Ended up with Port Chalmers cabin which is about the same distance to our halibut hole.
    Looking for INTEL on the Port Chalmers cabin.
    Has anyone on here used the cabin and if so, can you provide any details not already listed on rec.gov site?
    Primarily looking for boat access and shore excursion information.
    Lastly, has anyone fished the area for transient king and slivers during mid-July? I saw some thick-shouldered silvers chasing halibut baits near the surface. I know there's a commercial fishery for chum and pink in the Monte Straight area. I plan on hauling both troll/mooching gear along and spending some time prospecting.
    Thanks in advance.

i stayed at the Port Chalmers cabin a few times. Boat access is good though watch for rocks and go slow until you learn it. The cabin is situated in the back of the cove on the right and it's hard to see until you get up close. Good anchorage as I remember not far from it though it shallows up near the cabin if I remember right. I got into some of the best silver fishing ever about that time on top of Applegate Rocks. It was a feeding frenzy! Have fun!

Sweet! I've been reviewing the charts and see exactly what your talking about in regards to location, rocks and where it gets shallow. Appears as though a sharp dog-leg's in order to take advantage of the deepest approach. Is there another Applegate out by Monte? I don't see any reference in the Lethco's Cruising Guide to PWS. The one I'm familiar with is at the south end of Culross more than 40 miles by way the crow flies [BWTCF] to the NW from Port Chalmers. My link to the Sailvector on-line nautical charts seems to be down right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    i stayed at the Port Chalmers cabin a few times. Boat access is good though watch for rocks and go slow until you learn it. The cabin is situated in the back of the cove on the right and it's hard to see until you get up close. Good anchorage as I remember not far from it though it shallows up near the cabin if I remember right. I got into some of the best silver fishing ever about that time on top of Applegate Rocks. It was a feeding frenzy! Have fun!

Applegate Rocks are just north of Green. Basically in between Green and Seal Islands. Never fished there before though. Plan to this summer when heading out that far.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Sounds good ~ you'll have to show me when we head out to Chalmers. I'd like nothing more than to get after some ocean silvers. I wonder how they were fishing for them over those rocks. Last year there were some really thick silvers chasing our halibut baits up near the surface. I was totally unprepared as I didn't bring salmon gear so I could focus on halibut and not be distracted by doing too many different things at once.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Applegate Rocks are just north of Green. Basically in between Green and Seal Islands. Never fished there before though. Plan to this summer when heading out that far.

When are you going out? midsummer?**** I want to go fishing!!

Haven't exactly stopped...
    Rob and I took his boat out just last week for crabs.
    The marine forecast is looking pretty good but I don't expect the roads to clear enough to trailer down to Whittier anytime soon.
    To answer you question ~ last week of March before crab closes, then April shrimp, followed by May bears and then June/July/August fishing before hunting starts. This cabin is for mid-May but I'm still trying to secure at least one more. Possibly Hitchenbrook and swing through Cordova. Always wanted to do that run.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    When are you going out? midsummer?**** I want to go fishing!!

Ooooh March crabs!! Maybe I could brave the roads, but the boat got put in the yard with a mechanical issue. I got to get her running first. I guess I never thought about getting in the water early enough for crabs. Thanks!!

do some searching on this forum. I posted some on pt chalmers a few weeks ago - then looked up the history and there is some info on it. It goes dry by the cabin during low swings.

I have it for the week of 4th of July. Hoping to target lings and butts and then come back in closer for reds.

I mistakenly wrote mid-May below but we do have it reserved mid-July. I will search history... Thx, I'd bve interested in knowing how you do on lings out there. I've not caught one ling in PWS yet ~ only Seward. I know we went dry over at Green as well... There is a 1.06 ft tide overnight while we're there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    do some searching on this forum. I posted some on pt chalmers a few weeks ago - then looked up the history and there is some info on it. It goes dry by the cabin during low swings.

I have it for the week of 4th of July. Hoping to target lings and butts and then come back in closer for reds.

Looks like there is some history on this topic over in the Power Boating forum. My Sailvector charts are not working so I'm back over to NOAA but I don't like them as well. Is anyone else having problems with Sailvector? I tried to see if there was anything posted about why they're down on their home page but didn't see any information. I do see the Applegate Rocks on the chart now and do recall seeing them last year when we cruised past the area.

I have minimal exp with the Lings. We got one 40 pounder last year, but that was the only trip I made it to montague. I have caught several with charters out between Mont and Hich and a little further out.

Last year when I was trying to get some reds frozen at the fish house in Whittier a boat came in with 6 wheel barrow/fish carts FULL of Ling and Huge Yelloweye and Tigers.........I think that the long liners hit them hard.........not sure on that though. One thing is for sure, LOTS of Lings get filletted quick when the season opens -

I've heard that they get scooped up pretty quick too. I avoid the July 4 week and will be after them NLT than the mid-July trip. I hope we stumble onto some as they are great eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I have minimal exp with the Lings. We got one 40 pounder last year, but that was the only trip I made it to montague. I have caught several with charters out between Mont and Hich and a little further out.

Last year when I was trying to get some reds frozen at the fish house in Whittier a boat came in with 6 wheel barrow/fish carts FULL of Ling and Huge Yelloweye and Tigers.........I think that the long liners hit them hard.........not sure on that though. One thing is for sure, LOTS of Lings get filletted quick when the season opens -