Thread: Gun Coatings

Default Gun Coatings

What is the best coating for a rifle taking into consideration true protection, looks, etc.?
    There are so many claims out there for cerakote, diamondkote, duracote, and many others.
    I figued if a coating holds up in Alaska it will be unbeatable in the South.

I am looking for personal experience on what lasts and what really protects. Cost is not
    a factor since I am only planning to do one rifle. That rifle is a favorite so I do not want
    to make a mistake with the wrong product.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Default Gun Coatings

Duracoat and Cerakote are both good and you'll hear people say one is better than the other but my experience with both is good. The key is in the preparation. Although it's easy for anyone to do don't let just anyone do it. Both coatings will work fine for you. If the firearm isn't prepped properly it won't take to the coatings. I've done guns, knife handles, optics and magazines with duracoat and have never had any issues as long as i took my time with the prep. I have a glock 23 that i did duracoat on and it lives in a kydex holster. I couldn't even tell you how many times it has been drawn and there are no marks on it from the holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Matte hard chrome from Accurate Plating & Weaponry. Bullet proof in every aspect. Makes the various "kotes" look silly.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Nothing better than hard chrome! If you want color Duracoat but for all out protection hard chrome, some even hard chrome stainless to make it impervious to sea salts.

I'm going with salt bath nitriding on my upcoming build. It turns both stainless and chromoly a black color when done. It's supposed to be very tough and the price is about the same as hard chrome from what I've seen. It also coats both the inside and outside of the barrel. The drawback is that it's only recommended for new or low round count barrels.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I use black t look up walter birdsong. Our special forces use it on there guns and even small navy subss are using it i had it for 13 years on a rifle with no issues vince at precision arms sends it out to be done i am impressed 279-5755

I've got a rifle done in Cera-kote. Pretty happy with it but it is not as chip resistant as I'd hoped. After 6 years it shows some wear where it contacted pack frames and rocks but it has taken a pretty good licking over the years.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    It's supposed to be very tough and the price is about the same as hard chrome from what I've seen.
    and that price is approx...???
    "The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage. The sentiments of the hunt then become translated into art." James Swan, In Defense of Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    For hard chrome:
    http://www.apwcogan.com/complete-pri...finishing.html

If you want the traditional dark look check out the black hard chrome. Hard chrome is the best by quite a bit but most of the others are still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The smith I use charges $400 for either/or hard chrome or nitride.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Other than the salt nitriding or whatever Kay9 is talking about, I think most only coat the outside of the barrel. That part is really only for looks. It is the bore that really matters. Good cleaning and care is more important than the coating IMHO.

That said, I had Lee at Black Ice do a Teflon coat on my rifle. One trip in the mountains for sheep, one long horseback trip in the mountains for moose, and one trip down the river for moose. All 10 days hunts. So far no problems. No oil needed on the exterior. I run a dry patch through every other night or so just to remove debris. If it was out in the rain I'll run a lightly oiled patch through followed by a dry patch. (I always take a break-down cleaning rod on every hunt...even sheep backpack hunts. If you can't get an obstruction out of your bore, your hunt is over.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I'm going with salt bath nitriding on my upcoming build. It turns both stainless and chromoly a black color when done. It's supposed to be very tough and the price is about the same as hard chrome from what I've seen. It also coats both the inside and outside of the barrel. The drawback is that it's only recommended for new or low round count barrels.
    I have read a bit on this it is good stuff. The Duracoat is nothing more than DuPont Imron paint.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...