Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a what if question.....

Default Just a what if question.....

What if you went to your reloading station and all your equipment was gone? When you go to rebuild your setup what equipment by brand and model would you get to build your ultimate reloading station?

I've got a feeling this will be a long thread!

I'd start with a Forster Co-Ax press. After that, I'm really happy with what I have: RCBS primer tool, Uniflow powder measure, RCBS 10-10 scale. I'd probably replace the RCBS neck dies I have with Lee collet dies. And I'd upgrade all my cheesy brass prep tools with the nice Lyman ones with orange handles. I've got a cheap Cabelas tumbler...I know there are nicer ones but I'd don't care too much about ultra shiny...just clean. I don't like my Hornady trimmer, but not sure what I'd go with there.

Gonna be fun to hear everyone else's dream list!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    ...I'm really happy with what I have...
    Ditto.

I like Redding dies. I like their BR powder measure too. I like a good solid single stage press that can be accessed from the side, thus lending itself to efficiency of motion and easy ergonomics, as opposed to straight in from the front which is awkward and slow. I don't care for electronic scales which need batteries or electricity and are subject to spurious flakiness, nor multi-stage presses. I like simple, high quality, high reliability, low maintenance gear, but it needn't necessarily be fancy nor extremely expensive. I have little use for bright blue paint, nor goofy looking busty models posing awkwardly on catalog covers.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I would simply replace the things I have now.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have been usiing the Redding and RCBS equipment and dies for so many years I do not know what is even available these days. I have no complaints with what I use and happy for that. The only thing I would change is Redding dies for the ones that are currently RCBS, I think Redding dies are easier to setup and more accurate-have better quality control than RCBS.

I too like Redding dies, 10-10 scale, BR measure and I'm quite happy with my RockChucker press - I have really grown to like the Hornady hand priming tool but the old Lee works well too - Darrell Holland makes some great brass prep and maint tools that I cherish - I truly love and depend on my "bright blue" progressive and look forward to the blue press catalogues as well, anyone who doesn't like them most likely has not used one ........

I'd probably replace my Rockchucker with the same, can't imagine needing any improvement on that rig,...
    Tho I have been impressed with anything Redding, so I might stick with their brand as much as I could,
    new press, yeah might go Redding Boss II, single stage, looks like it's built well, possibly an upgrade from RCBS

what I would do, if I had unlimited funds would be "Go Fine, on the Dies"

I've always wanted to go for the Redding Competition Seating Die ($124 for that),
    but I think seating precision would be a first improvement to my current standard Redding and RCBS die sets

and I'm still trying to figure out the best Scale set-up
    would probably spring for the best Electronic Scale I could find, (maybe with a standard RCBS manual scale back-up)
    sure have had a lot of hassles with batteries, and other Electronic Weirdness issues
    but it seems there must be something out there with good technology precision ??
    I've successfully avoided spending the extra on an electronic dispenser, cause I like working each one by hand as much as possible
    not in a hurry to crank out anything,...so I'd keep it basic there also

I've liked my initial RCBS primer tool, but if it was gone, I'd replace with one of those High Class Sinclair Hand Priming Tools
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod37732.aspx

that's a big part of the deal and I can appreciate a nicely designed tool that I use that much

My L.E. Wilson Stainless Trimmer, is really an excellent tool, definitely replace with the same,
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod39291.aspx

and I guess the last item would be a state of the art Powder Measure, not electronic,...
    but with one of those Precision measure attachments,...the Redding BR-30 probably
    tho RCBS stuff has been pretty impressive, might just get their powder measure with the precision measuring

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod38150.aspx

Good Thread Idea,...If I knew someone was starting out,
    I'd highly recommend a guy read all these entries, and build piece by piece versus buying a kit

Oh, yeah, I love my Lyman hand tools also,...all the way,
    another full set of those Orange Handle tools, for the case prep, peace of mind therapy session
    like this one:
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod44715.aspx
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Good Thread Idea,...If I knew someone was starting out,
    I'd highly recommend a guy read all these entries, and build piece by piece versus buying a kit
    Thats exactly what I was getting at. I am starting out and would rather get good quality than a cheaper kit that I will need to upgrade later.

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    Thats exactly what I was getting at. I am starting out and would rather get good quality than a cheaper kit that I will need to upgrade later.
    Good Plan, I had a feeling,...so I added the links of things I really am convinced on

Only possible revision from my style, for you might concern what you are planning to reload for
    Especially as concerns the Single Stage Press, or a Progressive Press

I am only loading for a few rifles, not in a hurry, load up 20, maybe 40 at any one time
    so the RCBS Rockchucker or Redding Boss are perfect
    I even set up a little operation on board my boat, that uses, "only an RCBS Partner Press,"...
    works fine, for Neck Sizing and Loading for .243 and .270wsm,...and really inexpensive ($75)
    that little unit is advertised as if it is only for decapping (punching primers out) or something, but it works for my entire operation well

But If you are wanting to do much Handgun stuff, where you want to crank out a hundred or so,
    there are quite a few guys using the Progressive presses, Electronic Powder Measures, etc. and I think the speed is the reason
    even electric Case Prep units

Mine is simple and mostly by hand, and I'm really satisfied with that approach for the 20-40 at a time mode
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I just got a press today at the gun show. I picked up a Lyman Crusher single stage. My main purpose will be rifle cartridges for hunting.

You will spend more money in the long run piecing together a setup versus buying a complete kit. The rcbs kit is hard to beat, good press, powder thrower, scale, hand priming tool etc. with that kit all you need is shell holders, dies, bullets and powder... Same with the Hornady kit they sell as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You will spend more money in the long run piecing together a setup versus buying a complete kit. The rcbs kit is hard to beat, good press, powder thrower, scale, hand priming tool etc. with that kit all you need is shell holders, dies, bullets and powder... Same with the Hornady kit they sell as well.
    Yeah, BUT' you might be stuck with items that you might not want because you can improve on them.

I have a hodge-podge of brands.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Started out with a Rcok Chucker and now I have a Redding Turret and Love it.

Started out with a 10-10 and now I have a Chargemaster and love it. No flakiness... quick, easy, accurate and enjoyable. Still have the 10-10 for back up and occasional cross checking.

I like Redding, Hornady and Forester dies. RCBS are OK too. Never had any Lees.

Started with the RCBS hand primer and will stick with that.

Got a Lyman brass prep kit which is pretty cool.

Finally got a Sinclair Runout Gauge and it works well.

Hard to beat the RCBS bullet puller (no pun intended)

Started with a Lyman Turbo 600 tumbler and still have it and I'm happy with it.

Started with the RCBS Trim Pro Power Case Trimmer and Neck Turner and that thing gave some headaches sometimes. Now i got a Wilsom Trimmer and Love it. No more neck turning for me... if i can help it.

Am I missing anything?

Good thread and timely for me. I hadn't reloaded since I lived under the same roof as my dad 25 years ago. I recently picked up a Lee anniversary kit with the challenger press. For 115$ it seems like a solid choice for small qty rifle reloading. Still quite a few things I'd like to get, case trimmer, and odds and end that you will want to make life easier. I'll be watching this thread and taking notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Yeah, BUT' you might be stuck with items that you might not want because you can improve on them.

I have a hodge-podge of brands.

Smitty of the North
    Your never stuck with anything. You can always upgrade. The thing about a kit is most novice will buy it. They have no idea what they want or need till they pound out a few rounds and learn the process. All the parts that may be upgraded can be back ups, like the scale can back up an electronic dispenser. I am a huge proponent of the kit for novice. Let them sink there teeth into the process before going out and spending a crap load of money on stuff. Plus this gives them the experience to know what they want to upgrade and why.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Default Not hacking on kits, they worked for a lot of us, but,....

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Your never stuck with anything. You can always upgrade. The thing about a kit is most novice will buy it. They have no idea what they want or need till they pound out a few rounds and learn the process. All the parts that may be upgraded can be back ups, like the scale can back up an electronic dispenser. I am a huge proponent of the kit for novice. Let them sink there teeth into the process before going out and spending a crap load of money on stuff. Plus this gives them the experience to know what they want to upgrade and why.
    Some good points made there akbliss,
    I think what is meant by, "Stuck with,..." is for example that Case Lube Pad and that sticky lube

does anyone still use that messy method ?
    or the little Chamfer/Deburr tool,...
    did anyone need another cheaply made Allen Wrench set
    or even the Speer manual

those are little items but most are quickly replaced I imagine and then if you're like me, ya just can't throw that stuff away

If a guy was really looking to do it right originally, he might also be replacing that scale pretty quickly - an $80 item
    that you can't sell, cause everybody has upgraded from that,...realistically I wont use much anymore just for backup
    and the Powder Measure, is another $80
    I still use mine, but if I was starting over I would never have bought that imprecise a powder measure
    probably no market to sell it for anymore than $20 on craigslist

so, I'm stuck with those,...cause I just can't pitch 'em

Things I've replaced from my original RCBS kit, within the first year or so:
    Chamfer tool
    Deburr tool
    Powder Funnel
    Case Block
    Powder Scale
    Things I didn't need, but paid for:
    Allen Wrench tool (a poorly made tool, have better around)
    Speer Manual, (used a little, upgraded before I got the kit home)
    Lube Pad and Lube (tried it once for three cases,...hung on to it for years before finally throwing in the trash)

Am I one of the few that still uses the deburr and chamfer tool? I admit I hate the darn thing! I just can't bring myself to buy another one but the time is coming. Is there a better powder funnel that I missed?

My point is the novice will appreciate the kits but you are correct, lot of stuff will get replaced, except my deburr tool! I have no idea why I have never gotten a new one. I might just tell my wife to throw it so I am forced to buy a better one.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Am I one of the few that still uses the deburr and chamfer tool? I admit I hate the darn thing! I just can't bring myself to buy another one but the time is coming. Is there a better powder funnel that I missed?

My point is the novice will appreciate the kits but you are correct, lot of stuff will get replaced, except my deburr tool! I have no idea why I have never gotten a new one. I might just tell my wife to throw it so I am forced to buy a better one.
    That is so funny,...yeah, I kept using mine way past the point of deciding I didn't like it
    exactly what I meant by being "Stuck with stuff,.."

Once I ordered a Lyman VLD Deburring tool so that I could get a "Lower Angle" to the Deburring
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod44718.aspx
    I totally fell for those handles they make, really a big deal when you use it over and over,...
    Try one of these,...you'll put that RCBS one away forever
    (I still have my RCBS one around tho !?!) have a total aversion to getting rid of tools that work, no matter how irritating

and I only replaced my powder funnel cause I was setting up a second reloading station on my little boat
    but yeah, this one
    is a minor improvement in that it has the two handle option, so can be bench mounted,...
    or more easily held by hand and I do like that
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod42827.aspx

without a thread like this with all the advice offered, buying your components one by one
    would probably a venture in frustration
    your point about finding out what you want with the kit approach, is exactly what I did, worked pretty good actually

I just wish there was a used market for stuff, that wasn't such a loss, cause I hang on to stuff as a result
    for example, anyone interested in an RCBS "extras" set

5-0-5 Manual Beam Scale
    Powder Measure
    Chamfer/Deburr tool
    Funnel
    Hex Key Set
    sorry, I threw away the lube pad finally

about a $180 value, if replaced new,....so, what $80 used,,...??
    I know, everybody already has all that stuff
    Seriously, if anyone is interested in that stuff, let me know,...sitting around unused now

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    That is so funny,...yeah, I kept using mine way past the point of deciding I didn't like it
    exactly what I meant by being "Stuck with stuff,.."

Once I ordered a Lyman VLD Deburring tool so that I could get a "Lower Angle" to the Deburring
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod44718.aspx
    I totally fell for those handles they make, really a big deal when you use it over and over,...
    Try one of these,...you'll put that RCBS one away forever
    (I still have my RCBS one around tho !?!) have a total aversion to getting rid of tools that work, no matter how irritating

and I only replaced my powder funnel cause I was setting up a second reloading station on my little boat
    but yeah, this one
    is a minor improvement in that it has the two handle option, so can be bench mounted,...
    or more easily held by hand and I do like that
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod42827.aspx

without a thread like this with all the advice offered, buying your components one by one
    would probably a venture in frustration
    your point about finding out what you want with the kit approach, is exactly what I did, worked pretty good actually

I just wish there was a used market for stuff, that wasn't such a loss, cause I hang on to stuff as a result
    for example, anyone interested in an RCBS "extras" set

5-0-5 Manual Beam Scale
    Powder Measure
    Chamfer/Deburr tool
    Funnel
    Hex Key Set
    sorry, I threw away the lube pad finally

about a $180 value, if replaced new,....so, what $80 used,,...??
    I know, everybody already has all that stuff
    Seriously, if anyone is interested in that stuff, let me know,...sitting around unused now
    Tempting but when I go to upgrade those items I would be stuck with them like you are now.

True enough. Ya gotta start somewhere.

I've just noticed that the KITs always contain items that I wouldn't want, but that was after I had some experience.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast